cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xplornet and Public Mobile compatibility?

Apex
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I have satellite internet through Xplornet in a rural area of Ontario at my cottage. Prior to switching to Public Mobile I was with Telus mobility and when I was at my cottage I would still be able to use my Telus mobility cellphone, connect to cellular network using Xplornet, and send messages via SMS and make telephone calls. Now that I am with Public Mobile I cannot (even though Telus owns public Mobile).

Is there something in my cellphone settings / carrier settings that I need to change in order to have access to this function?

Thank you for your help and time

7 REPLIES 7

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yeah, unfortunately there is (still) no WiFi calling or voice over LTE on PM.

Apex
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everyone.

I suspect it was Telus Wifi calling that I was accessing. Makes sense

@Apex 

SMS and phone calls do not get routed through a home internet connection.  Your Xplorenet and Public Mobile services are independent of each other.

brid0nca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
If you can give me the area your cabin is at, I can find where the nearest tower is. One of these boxes have better range than most cell phones, and you can put an external antenna on it to get even better range. https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone You might want to try a VOIP app on your phone like Textnow or Fongo. You can get Public Mobile to forward to those services. Those will work with Xplorenet.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@ApexI would recommend moving to Koodo if you are trying to save money from Telus.. instead of the lowest tier Public Mobile.. Koodo has calling over wifi.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Apex  I believe with Telus you had wifi calling enabled on your cell phone so when you were connected to WiFi you could still call and text. Public mobile doesn't not have the wifi calling feature  because it's the lowest plans with the least features!  You have to consider if buying a cell phone booster is cheaper than going back to Telus and paying  their high prices for extra features. You can get pretty good boosters on Amazon for around 200$

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Why not compare apn settings between the two.

Also even though pm is in Telus family not everything gets shared.

Also it may be useful to talk to xplornet tech support maybe they need to enable something for it

Need Help? Let's chat.