cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work around for using all your data before end of plan

fudgeman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I use the 50.00 8 gb ulnimited talk plan for last few months. 
I use more then 8gb of data a month becuase i hotspot to my pc. 

So there is an error in the system that doesnt allow me to instanly change my plan to the same plan. example: i cannot cancel a 50.00 plan and renew a 50.00 plan back-to-back.

I had to change to another plan, like the 40.00 4.5 gb plan, use it, then back to the 50 plan. 

Well i just figured out a work around, thank goodness becuase i was about to go get another sim.

instead of clicking the button tabbed plans when changing, go to build a plan instead. select the same options, and the price is the same, 50.00. It changes on the fly. 

I was paying 175.00 for rogers 15gb plan. Now i pay 100.00 for 16gb with PM. 3g speed but works fine, stream internet shows with no buffering, no issues for me. 

thought i would let youz know incase anyone in same situation as i was

14 REPLIES 14

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@fudgeman wrote:

Good point. So if they change the promotion I lose it if I decide to change my plan? How long has this promo been active?

i should have realized that but it didn't occur to me. I will be going to get another sim then to lock it in both cards. 

I used to have a Rogers internet hub. Was over 200 a month for internet alone. I cut back my usage a lot. I also notice 3G for some reason uses a lot less data then 4g, even when loading same content. I don't understand how but it does.

16gb I use for sure so no issue there.

thanks for the tips

If you are worrying PM cancel the $50 8GB plan, your can schedule a plan change on your next renewal date back to the $50 8GB plan right after your early plan change using plan builder.

@fudgeman wrote:

I also notice 3G for some reason uses a lot less data then 4g, even when loading same content. I don't understand how but it does.

You mentioned you stream shows. If the application dynamically adjusts video quality based on internet speed, that would explain it. YouTube and Netflix do this, for example.

Veronacoffee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great savings at PM but need improvement in resolving issues...not a good deal if depending on your phone for business purposes

Veronacoffee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes that appears to have initiated the problem..

Good info. Too bad there wasn’t just a “Renew existing plan Now” option in the list of plans for this very purpose. Obviously if there are two plans you can alternate between that work out to a fairly comparable cost per Gb that would be ideal as you can just switch when you run out of data rather than commiting to two plans per 30 days with two SIM cards.

fudgeman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good point. So if they change the promotion I lose it if I decide to change my plan? How long has this promo been active?

i should have realized that but it didn't occur to me. I will be going to get another sim then to lock it in both cards. 

I used to have a Rogers internet hub. Was over 200 a month for internet alone. I cut back my usage a lot. I also notice 3G for some reason uses a lot less data then 4g, even when loading same content. I don't understand how but it does.

16gb I use for sure so no issue there.

thanks for the tips

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@fudgeman wrote:

I use the 50.00 8 gb ulnimited talk plan for last few months. 
I use more then 8gb of data a month becuase i hotspot to my pc. 

So there is an error in the system that doesnt allow me to instanly change my plan to the same plan. example: i cannot cancel a 50.00 plan and renew a 50.00 plan back-to-back.

I had to change to another plan, like the 40.00 4.5 gb plan, use it, then back to the 50 plan. 

Well i just figured out a work around, thank goodness becuase i was about to go get another sim.

instead of clicking the button tabbed plans when changing, go to build a plan instead. select the same options, and the price is the same, 50.00. It changes on the fly. 

I was paying 175.00 for rogers 15gb plan. Now i pay 100.00 for 16gb with PM. 3g speed but works fine, stream internet shows with no buffering, no issues for me. 

thought i would let youz know incase anyone in same situation as i was

@fudgeman  If your phone supports dual sim cards then you might also want to research a Data only Plan offering in addition to your PM plan. If you shop around I'm sure you can get 5GB for ~$15.00 (30 days):smileyhappy:

the other way to do it is using moderator, which has long wait time, but pay less.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@fudgeman 

Please note that the $2 autopay reward may not kick in if you renew early by using plan builder as autopay reward applies only every 30 days.  I am not sure whether you will get the autopay reward every other early renewal or not.  Please update us what happens to the autopay reward if you change your plan every 15 days.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@fudgeman  Great find. Thanks for sharing!

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@fudgeman, Great workaround.

The only negative I can think of is if Public Mobile decides to change or end that plan, you will have to choose from the list of available plans when you renew.

If you get a second SIM like you mention, at least you'll lock in the pricing. The difference is you'll be committing to 16 GB every month.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@fudgeman, thanks for sharing.  Sometimes the problem with using plan builder is the pricing may not be identical to the ready made plans. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fudgeman 

Nice find. That'll be helpful for some people. The less expensive option similar to your $45 change is to drop to the $10 plan and then pick up the big plan again. All as an immediate plan change.

Yes the least cost option is to wait for the moderators to do the early renewal.

emad
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The moderator team can renew your plan early, you should contact the moderator team.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.