cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering how 4GB/$40 per month folks are doing

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Everyone,

I joined PM from Rogers back in October last year (my wife and daughter moved their numbers from Rogers to PM too).

Over six months later, we're all still very happy with the service and it was the best move we've made in wireless service ever.  (We've saved a ton of money too).

Roaming service was introduced and worked perfectly when we went to the USA.

While specific locations may be better or worse coverage wise - we've found PM to be reliable and dependable where we live - and an absolutely great value. 

Just wondering if others who moved to PM last year are as happy as we are?

PHT

85 REPLIES 85

Adrian03
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi PHT,

I totally agreed with you. I won't say that Wind Mobile provide a bad network coverage and I hope they continue to build their network and their business as it's good for all of us!

Thanks.

Adrian.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hopetindall Shaw just bought a bunch of frequency from Quebecor (parent of Videotron) in Ontario, Alberta and BC, in particular 700MHz frequency... Which is good news for Freedom customers.  I'm still never going to find anything better than my current PM plan (unless some of my referrals start jumping ship), but it's absolutely good for consumers if Freedom becomes a stronger competitor.  Strong competition = better prices for consumers, as everybody who lives in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec can already attest to.

hopetindall

@Adrian03 wrote:

I joined PM from Wind Mobile (Freedom now) in August last year. I had some issues with Wind coverage at work and home (price almost the same) so, I decided to make a change.

Over ten months later, I'm still very happy with the service and it was the best move I've made in wireless service ever as well. 

Hi @Adrian03

I really wish Wind (now Freedom) luck.  It's good for everyone (especially consumers) for them to survive.

I seriously considered switching to them for the longest time. Even got a prepaid data account to test with (special they were offering for a while).   While it worked great at my house in MIssissauga, going to the office in Toronto was a different story. 😞

Before moving to PM I checked out their pricing.

Even with their new LTE - it still meants all the phones I had wouldn't work on Freedom LTE (since none my phones had band 66 support).

While I'm glad I didn't move to Freedom given their product is inferior (and I feel less reliable); I hope they continue to build their network and their business as it's good for all of us!

PHT

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Best plan in the market so far.I am very happy with this service..

Adrian03

Hi PHT,

I joined PM from Wind Mobile (Freedom now) in August last year. I had some issues with Wind coverage at work and home (price almost the same) so, I decided to make a change.

Over ten months later, I'm still very happy with the service and it was the best move I've made in wireless service ever as well. 

Adrian.

hopetindall

@berettaboi wrote:
Still very happy with public mobile, although there billing isn't perfect, I don't always get my autopay discount, but can't complain.

I was with Telus and going over my 1gb data plan every other month, costing me $90+ monthly, now i have 4gb to play with so i never worry. And under half the cost, with the exact same service i have always had. Thank you again public mobile

@berettaboi

This same thing happened to me (autopay discount didn't calculate properly one time).

Don't forget to send a message to one of the mods and they will fix it for you!

PHT

berettaboi
Still very happy with public mobile, although there billing isn't perfect, I don't always get my autopay discount, but can't complain.

I was with Telus and going over my 1gb data plan every other month, costing me $90+ monthly, now i have 4gb to play with so i never worry. And under half the cost, with the exact same service i have always had. Thank you again public mobile

Willow536

My friend recommended it to me with about a week left of the sale and I am 100% satisfied I jumped ship from VMC. I have been reccommending PM as much as I can to my friends and girlfriend and I think they are just waiting on another decent sale like this one.
I rarely make it up to 2.5-3Gb of data per month so I am loving the freedom of having so much data. I had 1Gb with VMC and I always felt cramped when I wanted to use my phone.

PM I can not give you enough love! Thank for giving me want I want. The best possible data/talk/text plan for a decnet price! 

ChopstickHero

@WearySky wrote:

Also, it's so so so so SO much cheaper to just get a local sim when travelling.

Agreed, local SIM, wherever you're traveling, is the way to go.

WearySky

@DaVibe wrote:

I'm not sure why (as a pay as you go customer from the promo) we can't just deduct dollars from the account.  It's too bad really.

Because that requires that Public Mobile have roaming agreements with providers in those countries.  It's not all that common for prepaid providers to have roaming agreements, in my experience.

Also, it's so so so so SO much cheaper to just get a local sim when travelling.

DaVibe

Very happy until I recently found out that there's no U.S. service without placing an add-on and there's no international service.

I was with Wind Mobile and if I wanted to pay outrageous costs to use my phone or data in another country, I could.  I'm not sure why (as a pay as you go customer from the promo) we can't just deduct dollars from the account.  It's too bad really.

Now I have to come up with a SIM card solution or something else when I travel.

MrMumbles
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Still new
Don't like the paying and plan change but its OK service

"The only fear in the back of my mind is what happens when something breaks, and we need support. I still wish PM would install a proper ticketing system, separate from the public forum."

@MK78 Don't worry if something may break, just be prepared. 👺

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@MEU_21 For world wide long distance have a look at CiCi mobile; slightly cheaper than PM and more countries. BUT you have a separate app for long distance calling and another account to remember to top up. I've used them for several years. http://www.ciciphonecard.com/cicimobile

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MK78

@WearySky wrote:

@MK78 wrote:

The only fear in the back of my mind is what happens when something breaks, and we need support. I still wish PM would install a proper ticketing system, separate from the public forum.

The only time I ever needed to call Rogers in the decade I was with them was when they screwed up my billing.  No issues with that with PM since they're prepaid, and if autopay fails (which it does, occasionally, but relatively rarely), the mods are pretty good at fixing you up within an hour or so.  IMO the forum-based support is a MILLION times better than calling up Rogers or others on the phone.

I never had to call Rogers in the nearly 15 years i was with them as well, except when i needed to beg for a deal.

But I only point you to last November, when the hugely popular promo brought this forum based system to its knees, due to to the huge influx of customers and the web only signup/activation tools weren't working right for many people, and answer/resolution times were in multiple weeks for some people, because there were only a handful of moderators.

As far as I can tell, there are still only 4 moderators listed that basically fix the issues. Should PM have another successful promo deal, who's to say the same issue wouldn't repeat?

WearySky

@MK78 wrote:

The only fear in the back of my mind is what happens when something breaks, and we need support. I still wish PM would install a proper ticketing system, separate from the public forum.

The only time I ever needed to call Rogers in the decade I was with them was when they screwed up my billing.  No issues with that with PM since they're prepaid, and if autopay fails (which it does, occasionally, but relatively rarely), the mods are pretty good at fixing you up within an hour or so.  IMO the forum-based support is a MILLION times better than calling up Rogers or others on the phone.

MK78

I switched in November to the 4gb plan, from Rogers, and my brother switched from Wind, and my mom switched from Koodo.

All 3 of us are happier than pigs in you know what, paying way less than we were and the service is great.

jpar

@hopetindall wrote:

@WearySky wrote:

I'm paying under $68/mo for 2 lines at 4GB each.  We moved over from Rogers where we were paying upwards of $150/month for 7GB shared on two lines. 

Hi @WearySky

we're in the same situation as you - it's amazing when you add up the difference and realize you've now got almost a $1000 a year that you can spend on something else!

cheers,

PHT

More money in your pocket is always a plus Cat Very Happy

hopetindall

@WearySky wrote:

I'm paying under $68/mo for 2 lines at 4GB each.  We moved over from Rogers where we were paying upwards of $150/month for 7GB shared on two lines. 

Hi @WearySky

we're in the same situation as you - it's amazing when you add up the difference and realize you've now got almost a $1000 a year that you can spend on something else!

cheers,

PHT

WearySky

We've been pretty happy.  With referrals and autopay and community rewards, I'm paying under $68/mo for 2 lines at 4GB each.  We moved over from Rogers where we were paying upwards of $150/month for 7GB shared on two lines.  US roaming worked great when we were down there in March, and I haven't yet had to make an out-of-province call, so obviously I don't miss the Canada-wide calling that Rogers was giving me.

So far so good!

MEU_21

I was new to PM when I joined. I originally had a Talk & Text plan with Chatr, but I was looking to join the smartphone evolution and expand to a data plan. My reasoning for getting a smartphone is that it replaced multiple devices and tools, specifically:

1. GPS

2. MP3 player / radio

3. Dashcam

4. MMS (picture / video messaging)

5. Internet access / hotspot

6. Kodi with screen sharing to TV

7. MagicJack voip linked to home phone

8. Portable and decent Camera

9. Finally linked calendars

10. Other stuff like quick distance measure (built-in laser), flashlight, scientific calculator

Of course, all this meant that I had to find a data plan with some heft. At the time (and still) Chatr was a joke for data. PM's promo timing was fortunate for me. At first I was hesitant to jump to PM, but then I figured, I have waisted $120 on worse things in my life, so it was worth a try.

At $38/m, it is $13 more than my T&T plan at Chatr - Well worth it! Reception is equal. Internet is fast. Service is for tech savvy, but it's fine with me. No zones is great! Overall, I use about 1.5GB/month and I am heavily subsidising everyone else in the data department, but the plan is meant to future proof for my uses.

The only reason I haven't moved my other lines and recommended others in my circle to move to PM is the extremely poor list of international long distance countries that can be called. 

hopetindall

Hi @MVP

you can make and discuss proposals (such as your great idea for early renewal) in the Public Lab forum.  (Or add your support/voice to someone else's proposal).

Best Regards,

PHT

crazycolby

I am really satisfied with public mobile, 4g per month is good enough for me at all.

paulie

very happy here !   Simple as that.

Had account and phone# with PM in November and then ported over Christmas eve.  Fairly seemless/quick  took an hour.  Used the SIM in three differnt phones.  No issues with calling, texting, etc.  I live in GTA and travelled (snowmobiled) around Algonguin Park (Hunstville, Dorset, Whitney, Barry's Bay, Petawawa, North Bay) and only lost signal briefly while going through one valley. 

Hoping to buy lots of data really cheap, and hope some great promos are offered again so I can get friends on board,

Over all fantastic value (rewards, community) for the price.  

MVP

I'm a completely happy customer. Switched last November  from Wind (3 lines)

and never looked back.

So comforting to have   your internet actually working everywhere, and all the time (and fast!) :).

The only  improvement I wish was also available for this plan is early renewal

(if you run out of data).  They say it is possible, but one needs to ask mods. Could  be great idea to make early renewals routinely available via selfserve. 

suefs

I joined in October 2016 and transferred from a grandfathered pay as you go plan from Wind Mobile. With PM the call quality, texting and data speed has been fantastic. I’m in the GTA and I still haven’t been in a scenario where I haven’t had reception so I’m very pleased so far about transferring over.

sbreakin

HI all & thanks to  @hopetindall for starting this trhead.

I also joined PM from Rogers back in October last year as well as a Koodo Pre-paid.

I had been with Rogers for >12years & seemed every 2 -3 years my plan (even though most recent was 'share everything') would no longer qualified for phone discounts or credits would end. My wife wound up using the number and it was $60 for 500mb - hard to believe she managed to stay below that now. And more amazing was i was on Koodo prepaid text plan & used data & minute add-ons. We both tried darndest to find wifi to keep within our plans.  We were paying about $85/mo & switched last fall & pay $75 or less for 4Gb each - which neither of us come close to using yet.

Over six months later, we're all still very happy with the service and it was the best move we've made in wireless service ever.

Also for us the roaming service was introduced a month or 2 before our USA trip (CA, OR, AZ, ID..). My wife's PM add on worked well & managed to stay within 250mb with some trip planning at hotel in evening on wifi. I used my old Roam sim & to be hinest both worked but would be more convenient to keep same #. 

We've found PM to be reliable and dependable all around Vancouver and an absolutely great value. 

The only negative aspect I have experienced is that I lost referral credits (for my wife) when I had trouble with my account (porting issue). The solution was a new account & so lost the on-going referral credits. PM Mod tried but unable to add them back. PM was kind enough to give one time credit but since it looks like I'll never leave - the on going credits would be best.  I tried last fall but maybe next special I can get more to join. 

I plan on staying so will get the loyalty credits and have been getting some community credits too.

I also noticed & appreciate the efforts of MODs during the crazy busy season & the pro-active/ friendly service with heads up on promo ends etc that Jeremy usually posts.

pakmode

That's actually a great idea @mimmo

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Vickel wrote:
Service has been great!

On thing is paying for multiple phones up front is going to hit the wallet hard
But it will be worth it in the end

@Vickel,  Put the money you save between your PM plan and you old plan in a piggybank. break it open when its time for a new phone. I am sure you will have some $ left over for a case 🙂 

In my past experience I have typically always done BYOD becasue everytime i wanted a new phone Bell wanted me to change my plan which meant increasing my monthy fee.  So if you also look at how much extra you spend monthly because of a new plan, the savings might be even better.

hopetindall

It's great to see folks still so happy.

It's also reassuring to me to see customers, PM employees and Oracles who care enough to maintain this community as a support and problem solving forum.   (Something I haven't see with other carriers).

PHT

Need Help? Let's chat.