cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless home phone on PM?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

A friend of mine is currently with Rogers, she has an iPhone 4s and a "Wireless Home Phone" device - a ZTE WF720.  This device is essentially a cellular terminal designed for non-mobile use, it uses wall receptacle power instead of a battery (although it has a small battery for making emergency calls when power is out), it's intended for fixed use (in a home not wired with phone landlines) but can actually be used pretty much anywhere (we've loaned it to friends who need a phone, lol).  Pretty nifty way to get home phone service for just $10/month.

The ZTE WF720 has a SIM card and can apparently be unlocked.  Is it compatible with Public Mobile?  Could it keep the same phone number?  And would such a "home phone" service still cost the same as a mobile cellphone service?

53 REPLIES 53

btkli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@domptg wrote:

I have ZTE WF720 model running on Fido.

When I checked his IMEI number on PM website is says that this device in incompatible.

I just want to make sure that when I do unlock the device will work on Public Mobile network.

Can anyone confirm?

I have the WF720 and currently using it for home phone.  Its working without any issues. Mind you you have to get it unlocked first though.

domptg
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have ZTE WF720 model running on Fido.

When I checked his IMEI number on PM website is says that this device in incompatible.

I just want to make sure that when I do unlock the device will work on Public Mobile network.

Can anyone confirm?

Good1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Great information. I am learning all the time.

btkli

@BrianWakeford wrote:

This could be due to the problem tha I have with my Voip home phone. The voice coming in to the device is essentially a download. The voice going out is an upload. If your upload speed is too slow you will have too much package loss and the person on the other end will hear choppyness and loss of conversation.

This has nothing to do with VOIP phone...  the home phone module is basically a device that uses a SIM card and the cellular network and connects it to your home phone.  Essentially and theortically, it is no different than talking on your cell phone.  This is different than VOIP phones.

BrianWakeford
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This could be due to the problem tha I have with my Voip home phone. The voice coming in to the device is essentially a download. The voice going out is an upload. If your upload speed is too slow you will have too much package loss and the person on the other end will hear choppyness and loss of conversation.

btkli

Why not koodo? Simple, the $5/mth deal is only for 1 year, and add the $40, it's not much different than the PM $10 (I also get $2/mth off auto pay, $1/mth off from referring my own account, and $$/mth off for loyalty).  In the long run PM wins, and eventually it'll be a free service.  I want this plan too because I already have the box, so I don't need to buy anything else.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I just noticed you mentioned you had a ZTE WF720. That is quite old and may be contributing to your choppiness. The newer model 721 is much better. That is what Koodo (and most I think) are now supplying. 

smp99

re-reading this, I don't know why you wouldn't just go with Koodo's $5 for 12month plan. It will cost you $50 up front for equipment and new SIM, but if you order online you save the $30 connection fee and it's free shipping. And you know it will be compatible. You also have 15 days (30?) to return if you don't like. And I think this plan still qualifies for the $50 referal currently going on - not totally sure on that point.

As long as you have have decent signal, you will not get any choppiness. I have been using the Rogers version of this setup for 3 years now. It works great. I would have switched to Koodo, but when I mentioned to Rogers about Koodo's offer, they halved my bill to $7.50 for 2 years.  We'll see what happens when 2 years runs out. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that sounds like an experiment is due. I have a cordless phone base attached to the box. Then I use cordless phones. It's hard to beat 10 bucks for a phone. I know many people wouldn't bother when they have a cellphone but it's only 10 bucks for an alternative phone.

btkli

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the WF721 via Telus and I don't notice any choppiness. I don't know if the other end does though. VOIP and WiFi calling I have experienced choppiness in the past.

I concur that I hear no choppiness on my end.  However, listening to the other end (I recorded some voicemail) seems to be somewhat choppy.  If anyone can confirm that that would be awesome.  The reason I ask is that I don't know if I should upgrade the phone adaptor (say to the WF721 or the Huawei one).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the WF721 via Telus and I don't notice any choppiness. I don't know if the other end does though. VOIP and WiFi calling I have experienced choppiness in the past.

btkli

@smp99 wrote:

I was successful in using  a Telus HUB and just use the phone port from that device. The actual hub is Huawei B882. 

Older model but works fine. They are on Kijiji  but you have to get a Telus one or it may be locked to Bell.

I have one for sale if interested

Are any of you getting choppy voices when using your hubs?  I am getting some when using my ZTE WF720

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have used these boxes in areas where you can not get a cell signal, and you can with those.  You can attach a decent 3rd party antenna, if there is a signal there, it will pick it up!

smp99

I was successful in using  a Telus HUB and just use the phone port from that device. The actual hub is Huawei B882. 

Older model but works fine. They are on Kijiji  but you have to get a Telus one or it may be locked to Bell.

I have one for sale if interested

btkli

Hi,

Just recently I unlocked my Fido ZTE WF720.  I can confirm that my PM sim works in there, but I noticed the sound is a little choppy.  Are you getting the same issues?

Alexandru_Odate

According to https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KB413160 seems that ZTE WF720 is still compatible with PM network (UMTS 850MHz and 1.9GHz).

And the very alike WF721 has such compatibility as at Koodo agents assisting with Home Devices the customers who opt for this kind of service (Koodo's network being the same as PM's).

Nlguy

Im using the same home phone adapter and it definitely does work with public mobile as long as it's unlocked,

I also have the fido home phone adapter and it works very well with public mobile.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Thank you everybody for prompt replies.  Sorry I could only award one Solution to you all, lol.

Yes, it appears that the ZTE WF720 uses frequencies/protocols which are incompatible with Public Mobile (or with Telus).  Other versions like the ZTE WF721 support other network models.

I've also learned that my friend's device is actually property of Rogers, they provide it to her (at no cost) so long as she continues to pay for the home phone subscription, but they'd want it back when she cancels their service.  And they probably wouldn't approve of it being unlocked or modified, lol.

Folks who like this type of service may wish to consider Fongo over the cottage/home wifiwho offer it for $5/month.

To me though, it's more straightforward to just go with cell phone service for travelling and home though; only 1 device to worry about.  

If cost is truly crucial a cell phone with Fongo will connect to the house/cottage wifi for "free" and you can get emergency on the road coverage for $25/year from http://www.speakout7eleven.ca

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ckl wrote:

I just did a quick search on ZTE WF720. Unless there are multiple versions of the device, the one I found is GSM and WCDMA only. Unless Telus runs a GSM network, I don't think it will work.

@ckl this makes sense, as the ZTE device is only doing voice and doesn't need HSPA/UMTS or LTE, so it can run fine on 2G networks such as Rogers.  My mom has the same device for home phone with Fido, for $15/month she gets unlimited calling to Canada and the US I believe.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Korth

Thank you for reaching out to us for your friend Smiley Happy

To answer to your questions: 

1- In order for a phone to function with Public Mobile the phone needs to be unlocked, you can check the compatibility here

2- She can definitely keep the same number, in the activation portal she can port the number and for landlines numbers it can usually take up to 2 business days for the port to complete, it's a very easy and painless process. 

3- The cost will be the same for landline numbers (pick and pay plans)

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I just did a quick search on ZTE WF720. Unless there are multiple versions of the device, the one I found is GSM and WCDMA only. Unless Telus runs a GSM network, I don't think it will work.

About your other questions, if you can port the phone number from Rogers, you will be able to keep the number. There isn't any "home phone" specific plan, so even if the device worked on PM, it will be acting like a mobile phone in itself, except that it is not mobile. So you're better off just keeping your iphone and using it as your primary phone.

The other option that I did when I was with Wind (with poor reception at my house), was to buy a cordless phone bundle (with a base station and 3 handsets) that can connect to your phone via bluetooth. My phone basically sat on a window sill which was one of the only places that got good reception. It would then connect via bluetooth to the cordless phone base station. When I got an incoming call on my cell phone, the cordless phones would ring because it acted like a bluetooth handsfree set. Also, like a bluetooth handsfree set, you could make calls from the cordless phones either through a traditional landline or through your connected iphone. So it's basically like your normal cordless phones except that it can connect to your cell phone as well. This way, you can save $9.99/month.

The cordless set I used is this:

http://www.vtechphones.com/learn/more-vtech/connect-to-cell

What I also did was buy a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) and powered my internet router, cordless phone base station off of it. I bought them when there were on sale but they are powerfull enough to run a computer for 10 minutes. So, you can imagine how long it would last for just an internet router and a cordless phone which draws a fraction of the power. We haven't had many power outages, but I can tell you that when we did, we had Internet and phone service through all of them.

terrilin

Hey @Korth, this is definetly a very interesting quesiton. I assume that if this device can accept and transmit the same frequency that PM is using (and also within PM's coverage), it's possible that it will be compatible once it's unlocked. Does this device has IMEI number? If so, you can go to the bottoe of this link to check if it's compatible with PM. 

PM doesn't have any home phone service plan at the moment. But for thecurrent mobile service plan, you can choose text only/calls only/data only, or a combination of all three as you like. 

Need Help? Let's chat.