cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Public Mobile use Huawei for future implementation of 5G?

rypo81
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Rogers just announced they are rolling out 5G this year. However, according to the Financial Post, "Rogers has managed to get a jump on competitors Bell and Telus with the 5G rollout by partnering with Swedish equipment manufacturer Ericsson for its kit.

Both Bell and Telus want to use gear from Chinese manufacturer Huawei, which is considerably cheaper, but national security experts have raised concerns that the Huawei equipment might create the potential for foreign interference in critical communications systems." 

I am concerned that, with Public Mobile being a subsidiary of Telus, it, too, will be using Huawei technology. This seems like a problem in the distant future, but it is still concerning to me.

*edit: added 5G tag*

16 REPLIES 16

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sheytoon wrote:

It's still not racism. People don't trust the Chinese government, just like they don't trust the American government.

Personally I have no problem with Huawei as long as it's not in the core.

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1.jpg

It's still not racism. People don't trust the Chinese government, just like they don't trust the American government.

Personally I have no problem with Huawei as long as it's not in the core.

XionBunny

@sheytoon wrote:

@XionBunny let's not accuse people of racism and give them a chance to respond.

I've seen the debates on the nature of how china is time in and out, over and over, and its always the same, person A listens to the media, falls into the FUD trap when confronted, they start spouting rhetoric, etc, debate goes nowhere, arguments ensue, when in the end its all just a different form of what I've just stated, and always is the same cycle.

@XionBunny let's not accuse people of racism and give them a chance to respond.

XionBunny

@sheytoon wrote:

@rypo81

As @jor123 mentioned, Telus is already using Huawei, and has been for 10+ years.

In fact, Telus swapped out Nokia RAN equipment a few years ago and they now exclusively use Huawei for their RAN. Telus's RAN partners Bell and Sasktel also use Huawei in most of the country. Your only choices for avoiding Huawei RAN are to use Rogers, Freedom, Videotron or Eastlink, and to never roam on any extended network in Canada.

From personal experience working with Huawei, Nokia and Ericsson, I would say Huawei is the leader in 5G technology.

What is your concern with Huawei RAN equipment? Keep in mind Huawei is not deployed for the core network in Canada on any provider.

Also keep in mind that initial 5G deployments require the same RAN vendor for 4G and 5G. That means Telus must use Huawei for initial 5G, or they must swap part of their 4G to a new vendor.

Mainly racism I bet, op will say they spy on us and all that junk, all nations spy on each other, and frankly I'm sick of all the racism in the world, among other things, it's disturbing.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@rypo81

As @jor123 mentioned, Telus is already using Huawei, and has been for 10+ years. If you're a PM customer, you've been using Huawei the whole time unless you're in rural Manitoba or parts of Eastern Ontario / Quebec.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/m-p/129092

In fact, Telus swapped out Nokia RAN equipment a few years ago and they now exclusively use Huawei for their RAN. Telus's RAN partners Bell and Sasktel also use Huawei in most of the country. Your only choices for avoiding Huawei RAN are to use Rogers, Freedom, Videotron or Eastlink, and to never roam on any extended network in Canada.

From personal experience working with Huawei, Nokia and Ericsson, I would say Huawei is the leader in 5G technology.

What is your concern with Huawei RAN equipment? Keep in mind Huawei is not deployed for the core network in Canada on any provider.

Also keep in mind that initial 5G deployments require the same RAN vendor for 4G and 5G. That means Telus must use Huawei for initial 5G, or they must swap part of their 4G to a new vendor.

XionBunny

We'd probably get shifted to 5g lite over time in actual reality, when the tech is riable enough, and still get the 3g speeds branding.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Doesn't Telus already use Hauwei equipment in its current network?

@gblackma wrote:

Lol. What security concerns? They are so far ahead of us that they probably already know what I'm about to say.

🤣 🤣 🤣 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@rypo81 

Why worry about something we have little control over?

Noone is tied down to Public Mobile. As you mention, there are other options available if Huawei is not suitable for you.

Dlysh113
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I think we shouldn't worry about it. We already give out and surrender all our information everytime we agree to terms and conditions through apps, websites, wifi, and being a PM user. We waive our rights when we agree to use their network. It may not be every single right but more than you think. Don't be surprised.

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think PM will start a 5G connection near future.
I don't much worry about connection speed, because I mostly use a mobile phone for talking and texting, anyways.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@rypo81  Since PM only currently offers LTE lite for data/texting and 3G for voice/data/texting then I wouldn't be worried about 5G. Keep in mind that Telus has branched out to eHelath and Payment Processing services in a big way. They take security very seriously IMO.

Furthermore PM is strictly a prepaid service provider without any strings attached so if you don't like their implementation of 5G if and when that happens Smiley Frustrated then simply leave. Smiley Happy

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Lol. What security concerns? They are so far ahead of us that they probably already know what I'm about to say. In the near future we may get, as mentioned 4g/lte. Also, I'm sure that the majority of the parts and technology in Ericsson's are  from China and Asia.

dna2016

@rypo81 as what @Dunkman mentioned I am also very certain the PM won't be on any 5G network.  5G will be one of those higher end tier pricing only available to the big 3 companies.  The subsidiaries will not be on 5G for awhile.  Long term I don;t see PM getting on 5G, they'll most likely move on to 4G/LTE, but even then I don;t see that happening unless 3G becomes completely obsolete, or that all other subsidiary companies have moved to 4G/LTE and that PM would only move just to remain competitive with the rest of the market.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@rypo81 

Who knows what the future will hold?  

However, since PM is a lower tier company of Telus, I doubt that this company will get 5G anytime soon.  Most of the plans here are still 3G.  Potentially, in the future, when Telus goes 5G, hopefully, PM will go 4G or LTE.....

Need Help? Let's chat.