cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will PM consider to have a pure talk and text plan?

toseetoo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will PM consider to have a pure talk and text plan? Staying at home due to the current situation, some people don't need data plan (there is wifi at home), but still need to make phone call and send text. With the income decreased, some people have to control the expense on mobile. If there is a plan with lower monthly fee but still provide an unlimited amount or decent amount of talk and text, it might work for those people.

thx.

32 REPLIES 32

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious If your talking about it that way then yes. That plan is a steal. And i look at it that way too. If i were to downgrade to that plan i would get it for free but for an elder, Probably not. My parents wouldn't participate in the forum and friend referrals are hard to get endless you know someone personally that wants to switch over. The only reward they could get is the auto pay 2$ and loyalty. Yes after 5 years it would be cheap but 5 years is a long time for 5$. So in the end its not worth the extra work to get a plan to a cheap cost with minutes that they wouldn't even use. So that's why their sticking with Virgin mobile Prepaid. They pay 5$ a month base with 20 minutes and 30c a minute after. They barley talk on cell phones. Its not worth the extra work for nothing. Or a 1$ friend refferal for me. Lol

@BearFBI 

I agree the $10 plan was great for seniors (and others) who only need a low usage phone. The $15 plan does fulfill that need as well with the ability to have much higher usage but still remains low priced. The 250mb isn't an added cost its an added bonus. Use it if you want to....its basically not optional because without data included pm would have to offer (as it does those with the $10 plan) full speed 4G data. Yes it is more expensive to begin with by $3 ($15 - $2 autopay = $13.)  after 5 years that plan is down to $8. Throw in a few referrals and it can easily get $5/30 days with unlimited texting and incoming calling.  Throw in the freebies at least once a year from pm you would be hard pressed to have to buy one $5/500 min add on per year.

So yes a little more to pay in the beginning but only pm plans get cheaper each year unlike the competition  where they are more likely to increase. An enterprising senior will be all over referrals and even the family can chip in and donate a referral here and there to get that plan cost down. It took me 5 weeks to reduce the cost of my $10 plan to $2 that I left open for future loyalty rewards ( my community reward fills that gap nicely.) That's when I switched to my other account to make referrals.....when I downgrade in a few weeks to the $15 my rewards acquired in 9 months will equal both my plans cost. I'll have $2 in loyalty coming my way too.....so infinitely cheaper than the other providers $10 plans.         .......and I do have a back up flip phone if I need two phones rather than the dual sim smartphone. It's all in how you look at it,

BearFBI

@ryanrudolf wrote:

This works for me -

cheapest 15$ plan enrolled with autopay gives me a 2$ discount and a 250MB free data. I can use the 250MB data for voip app. I use google voice for not so important calls to save on minutes. I also purchased the 5$ talk addon which gives me additional 500mins that never expire. unused mins carry over to the next month. i've been on this setup for about 2months now and so far so good.

if ever i need more data, im with Fido 3gb /15$ plan. i was able to get it for free for 2yrs due to retention / loyalty. im using an eSIM capable device and i use the physical SIM for Public Mobile and Fido on the eSIM.

but since im mostly home due to quarantine, i just use the wifi connection and spare the PM and Fido data.

@ryanrudolf That may work for you. But it wouldn't for me. If i had 3 GB of data that's all i would need. That extra 250MB is unnecessary cost. There are many elders who only need limited talk only plans or text plans. PM should start catering to non data users. My parents have flip phones and their with Virgin mobile prepaid. They pay less than they would play for any of the plans here. There on a talk only plan as text and data is useless on a flip-phone. It would be great to see a 10$ Talk only plan. Or if Public Mobile could bring back the 10$ plan or at least the Plan Builder. Look at Rogers and Telus, They offer a prepaid 10$ 50 50 plan. Its kinda sad that PM dropped that plan. All i can say is for Talk and Text Public Mobile is not for you. 

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@toseetoo wrote:

Will PM consider to have a pure talk and text plan? Staying at home due to the current situation, some people don't need data plan (there is wifi at home), but still need to make phone call and send text. With the income decreased, some people have to control the expense on mobile. If there is a plan with lower monthly fee but still provide an unlimited amount or decent amount of talk and text, it might work for those people.

thx.

This works for me -

cheapest 15$ plan enrolled with autopay gives me a 2$ discount and a 250MB free data. I can use the 250MB data for voip app. I use google voice for not so important calls to save on minutes. I also purchased the 5$ talk addon which gives me additional 500mins that never expire. unused mins carry over to the next month. i've been on this setup for about 2months now and so far so good.

if ever i need more data, im with Fido 3gb /15$ plan. i was able to get it for free for 2yrs due to retention / loyalty. im using an eSIM capable device and i use the physical SIM for Public Mobile and Fido on the eSIM.

but since im mostly home due to quarantine, i just use the wifi connection and spare the PM and Fido data.

@mpcdesign wrote:

@toseetoo, I was debating this when I downgraded after losing one of my two of my jobs, and down to contract work now.

I had the $40 plan, and I was going to go get the $25 plan, figured, I could use the unlimited calling if needed too. But, just need a little data for emergency purposes. @darlicious suggest

a different scenario, and I got the $15 plan and bought an extra add-on for $15 and a $5 for 500 minutes. I haven't used any of the add-ons yet, and it's been 2 weeks so far.

I am old school, so I still have a land-line, friends always laugh at me. But, I don't pay for my landline it's part of my cable deal. So, I save there. Now, if I had no landline, and I didn't want to monitor how long I am on the phone, then safely say, use the $25 plan (or $23 with the autopay). You would have unlimited talking and texting. It's probably the best deal for the best buck! 

The cool thing is you won't get ding if you want to change this plan down the road. Other companies ding you for that. So downgrade now, and maybe when it's back to normal change it back up. Again, no charges for this. But, make you do the changes on the next renewal date versus to 'now' so that you don't lose any of the past few weeks of your old  plan. 

If you study your usage would this work?

My Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan. Both my wife and I are low users of our $15 mobile plans but the one time cost of $25 makes our plans as good as any. And of course, once set up, one will have to manage these add-ons to keep the “GOOD COMBINATION” in place and maintenance cost should be minimal.

The add-on combinations below do NOT expire until minutes are used up.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.
2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes
1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 
=======
$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.
1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**
1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.
=======
$33 Total **The lesser value of the group

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on and the $15 add-on has International, USA and Canada while the only real use of the $8 add-on is for USA only calls.

Note 1: The add ons above I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used.
The unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.

Note 2:
Keep in mind the value of “Rewards that’ll lower your bill”.
Freebies that may be offered as in pre Christmas 2019 for 1GB of Data and 400 International Long Distance minutes.
Promotional pricing as in March 2020 (Covid 19 era) with 1/2 price 1GB Data that does not expire.
They treat us very well.

Note 3:
Other ways to save money.
If you have the option to call an 800 number, those calls do NOT deduct from your allotted minutes.
Use Wi-Fi Zoom, FaceTime Video or Audio only, and iMessage. I DON’T recommend the TextNow Voip App as it will be confusing for callers using a second number that may NOT be a local number.
Use a paid for VoIP service that is fully programable by you such as VoIP.ms with a LOCAL number, using Zoiper APP on mobile device using your VoIP.ms SIP. This will allow you to call out using Zoiper over wifi and you can program VoIP.ms to forward calls back to your PM account. While I have not tried it yet, you can assign a number to show on VoIP.ms for caller ID; and that could be your PM number. I would estimate a cost of $3-$4 a month and you would also have many many other options.

Copyrighted 2020

@Gigi2019 wrote:

Hello,

I am new to the community. I understand that Public Mobile is the cheapest possible for just text and talk. I did some research to find a cheap plan for my son, and he is very happy with it.

Bear in mind it is 15/month plus tax, however you can lower the price with loyalty.

No need to have a data plan if you are using your home wifi. In our case, he can use the home wifi, or the school wifi. When in need there is many public places, where one can conect for free. Take care!

If you have a debit/credit card set up autopay in self service and you can reduce the cost to $13 plus tax.

brettster99

@Naepalm 

Yep it’s good service too

shep22

@Gigi2019 wrote:

Hello,

I am new to the community. I understand that Public Mobile is the cheapest possible for just text and talk. I did some research to find a cheap plan for my son, and he is very happy with it.

Bear in mind it is 15/month plus tax, however you can lower the price with loyalty.

No need to have a data plan if you are using your home wifi. In our case, he can use the home wifi, or the school wifi. When in need there is many public places, where one can conect for free. Take care!

@Gigi2019 hi you can knock that down to 13 dollars by using auto pay have a great evening!!

@Gigi2019 

One of the reasons many of were here is because of the low rates!

Have a great weekend! 

Gigi2019
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

shaker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I used to be with Bell Mobility for the last several years. As my device was on a contract, i paid $45+tax for an unlimited Talk & Text Plan with Zero Data. When I called to cancel, they reduced it to $35+tax.Public Mobile is able to offer all that, with some Data added for $10 less every month! Obviously this is not by magic. It is a Trade off. By not incurring overheads, like a costly customer service department! But resources are available, here in this Community forum, which are as good as any customer service department! 

shaker

I used to be with Bell Mobility for the last several years. As my device was on a contract, i paid $45+tax for an unlimited Talk & Text Plan with Zero Data. When I called to cancel, they reduced it to $35+tax.Public Mobile is able to offer all that, with some Data added for $10 less every month! Obviously this is not by magic. It is a Trade off. By not incurring overheads, like a costly customer service department! But resources are available, here in this Community forum, which are as good as any customer service department! 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@toseetoo, I was debating this when I downgraded after losing one of my two of my jobs, and down to contract work now.

I had the $40 plan, and I was going to go get the $25 plan, figured, I could use the unlimited calling if needed too. But, just need a little data for emergency purposes. @darlicious suggest

a different scenario, and I got the $15 plan and bought an extra add-on for $15 and a $5 for 500 minutes. I haven't used any of the add-ons yet, and it's been 2 weeks so far.

I am old school, so I still have a land-line, friends always laugh at me. But, I don't pay for my landline it's part of my cable deal. So, I save there. Now, if I had no landline, and I didn't want to monitor how long I am on the phone, then safely say, use the $25 plan (or $23 with the autopay). You would have unlimited talking and texting. It's probably the best deal for the best buck! 

The cool thing is you won't get ding if you want to change this plan down the road. Other companies ding you for that. So downgrade now, and maybe when it's back to normal change it back up. Again, no charges for this. But, make you do the changes on the next renewal date versus to 'now' so that you don't lose any of the past few weeks of your old  plan. 

@toseetoo 

This request is easily solved with the $15 plan and the $5/500 min add on. That's pretty much an unlimited plan for $20. Unless you go over your outgoing minutes....at 600 available minutes that would be pretty difficult. Public mobile will offer data with every plan otherwise a non data plan that acquires data by purchase or giveaway would have to be supplied at full 4G speeds. Something pm has been trying to distance itself from having now eliminated all plans with that option except the 1gb data only plan. At $30 hardly a big seller.

@Staliger wrote:

@toseetoo You can have 15$ plan +5$ addon for extra 500mins if your plan's mins will finish. You also can use apps like TextNow, Skype, WhatsApp to make calls through data/wifi.

My Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan. Both my wife and I are low users of our $15 mobile plans but the one time cost of $25 makes our plans as good as any. And of course, once set up, one will have to manage these add-ons to keep the “GOOD COMBINATION” in place and maintenance cost should be minimal.

The add-on combinations below do NOT expire until minutes are used up.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.
1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 
=======
$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.
1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**
1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.
=======
$33 Total **The lesser value of the group

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on and the $15 add-on has International, USA and Canada while the only real use of the $8 add-on is for USA only calls.

Note 1: The add ons above I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used.
The unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.

Note 2:
Keep in mind the value of “Rewards that’ll lower your bill”.
Freebies that may be offered as in pre Christmas 2019 for 1GB of Data and 400 International Long Distance minutes.
Promotional pricing as in March 2020 (Covid 19 era) with 1/2 price 1GB Data that does not expire.
They treat us very well.

Note 3:
Other ways to save money.
If you have the option to call an 800 number, those calls do NOT deduct from your allotted minutes.
Use Wi-Fi Zoom, FaceTime Video or Audio only, and iMessage. I DON’T recommend the TextNow Voip App as it will be confusing for callers using a second number that may NOT be a local number.
Use a paid for VoIP service that is fully programable by you such as VoIP.ms with a LOCAL number, using Zoiper APP on mobile device using your VoIP.ms SIP. This will allow you to call out using Zoiper over wifi and you can program VoIP.ms to forward calls back to your PM account. While I have not tried it yet, you can assign a number to show on VoIP.ms for caller ID; and that could be your PM number. I would estimate a cost of $3-$4 a month and you would also have many many other options.

Copyrighted 2020

@kelvarnsen wrote:

So considering the what you get for the $15 plan and what you get for the $25 plan and what other carriers charge for unlimited talk and text (I was paying $35 a month with Rogers 2 years ago), what would people expect an unlimited talk and text plan to cost?

How about $20?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

kelvarnsen

So considering the what you get for the $15 plan and what you get for the $25 plan and what other carriers charge for unlimited talk and text (I was paying $35 a month with Rogers 2 years ago), what would people expect an unlimited talk and text plan to cost?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@toseetoo If you have no need for cellular service at all, just bite the bullet - cancel service and use TextNow, or Fongo, with wifi.

Remember a cell phone can always call 911 in an emergency, so you're covered when travelling. Plus, Shaw has made their wifi services free during COVID; https://www.shaw.ca/covid-19. So, there are many more locations with free wifi.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Naepalm wrote:

Anything is possible really. They could go down to a 10.00 plan with limited talk and text, but that is pure speculation considering their 15.00 plan right now only has text and very limited calling. This may be one that an OG might be able to answer seeing the ebb and flow of PM over the years. 

I am doubtful an such plan will be introduced with only calling and texting. Carriers would much rather offer more services and features than to lower prices. At one point, there was an unlimited callng and texting plan for $25. Customers are also relying on data more than even. I just can't see a plan like this being re-introduced.  Customers need to be careful for what they wish for, because a carrier could bring back such a $25 plan that doesn't include data but increase the price of the current $25 plan, rather than introduce a plan less expensive than $25 with unlimited calling and text messaging. 

omegaman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Certainly would be nice to have that option, especially since Public Mobile is a subsidiary of Telus and has the ability to do this.  

@Lemony_Snicket wrote:

Funny how things went the other way.  There was a targeted deal to upsell those on the $25 plan to $35 with more data.  I got the text message.

I brought the concern up with Public Mobile. When most people are trying to save, Public Mobile is doing a campaign to increase revenue. I know PUblic Mobile has to try to increase revenue for the shareholders and for the financial well-being of the company, but I'm just not sure how successful this will be.

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Some brands charge $25 just for talk and text.  Treat the data as free.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@toseetoo wrote:

thx.

Anything is possible really. They could go down to a 10.00 plan with limited talk and text, but that is pure speculation considering their 15.00 plan right now only has text and very limited calling. This may be one that an OG might be able to answer seeing the ebb and flow of PM over the years. 

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Funny how things went the other way.  There was a targeted deal to upsell those on the $25 plan to $35 with more data.  I got the text message.

BearFBI

A pure talk only plan would be great. If your talking about talk and text I would consider the 15$ plan. I see 4 more SIM cards I can activate if PM had a talk only plan. I could switch to a LTE home phone and insert a talk only SIM. I know a few elders that have flip phones and that would be great for them too. 

kelvarnsen

Keep in mind that the $25 plan is a lot cheaper, for unlimited minutes than a lot of other provider's unlimited talk and text only plans. I just looked it up and unlimited talk/text with Bell is $40 a month (no data). With PM on auto pay it is $23. Get a few referrals or post here a bit and you could get it to under half of the bell price.

@Staliger wrote:

@toseetoo You can have 15$ plan +5$ addon for extra 500mins if your plan's mins will finish. You also can use apps like TextNow, Skype, WhatsApp to make calls through data/wifi.

I would consider going even a step further than that. Calls to Canadian and U.S. numbers are free using Hangouts, the advantage of Hangouts being that regular phone numbers can also be called (internet connection required). There would be no need to have purchase any additional outgoing minutes.

brettster99

As of right now there is no way to have a purely only text and phone plan. With auto pay you save $2 and get data even if it’s just 250MB. 

As for what you are looking for the cheapest plan here at public is the $15 plan that goes down to $13 with autopay. That includes unlimited texting. Unlimited incoming calls and 100 minutes outgoing.

If that is not enough you can by an add on for more minutes.

the next cheapest plan is the $25 plan that goes down to $23 with autopay. That gives you 500MB (think another 500mb with auto pay meaning 1GB) That is unlimited everything and. 1GB.

Now also if you want to get cheaper then you can always refer others so they get a $10 one time credit and you get $1 off every month for every friend you referral when they stay a member. Contributing to the community can also lower the bill.

The one that won’t help immediately for anyone but still save is the loyalty amount. $1 after one year to the max of $5 for 5 years and that where it will stay no matter how long you stay after.

I hope this helps

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@toseetoo 

You have to select from the ready-made plans. Unfortunately for now, PM no longer offers the option for customized plans.

The 2 plans meeting your requirements are:

- $15 plan (unlimited texting, unlimited incoming calls & 100 outgoing minutes). This can be supplemented with the $5 calling add-on (which adds 500 calling minutes to your account for backup use when your plan minutes have been exhausted).

- $25 plan (unlimited texting & unlimited Canada-wide calling while you are in Canada).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@toseetoo 

No. Not here.

Need Help? Let's chat.