cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi calls on iPhone, please!

Eric_
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It would be really interesting to have the possibility to make Wi-Fi calls on our iPhone. The latest discussion I saw about is from 2017. Any update, PM?

I’m actually living on Bic, close to Rimouski. The coverage is really bad and most of time, I can’t make calls or receive any text.

Please make sure to be 2019 💪 @CS_Agent 

Many thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Voice over LTE too! 

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rpmc wrote:

Exactly. I live part-time in an area in which there is no cellular service. However I can use my iPhone with wi-fi calling turned on to make and receive calls as long as I have a wi-fi connection.

This is an alternative, although it would mean giving out a second number. Use a WIFI-based service like Fongo** (recommended) or TextNow (don't recommend, sh** call quality, okay for texting).

Another alternative is that you could always use a pay phone (Yeah, I know... but they still exist), and just let whomever you're calling know the number of the pay phone.

Otherwise, I guess pay for a second tier service that gives you more features such as WIFI calling.

**I have found that Fongo is very finicky and that it likes certain hardware (routers) and won't work well on some. I've had Cogeco in the past and Fongo would disconnect from service every few minutes with Cogeco's rented-router while when I had Bell it worked fine. I'm with TekSavvy and a cable connection and although I rarely use Fongo since I got Public Mobile when I DO use Fongo it works just fine with my hardware (modem is a Technicolor TC4300 and router is a TP Link AC2300).

rpmc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Exactly. I live part-time in an area in which there is no cellular service. However I can use my iPhone with wi-fi calling turned on to make and receive calls as long as I have a wi-fi connection.

Obice

@geopublic wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Eric_ wrote:

No update. No answer. Smiley Frustrated

@Eric_ 

https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/you-can-now-make-and-receive-hangouts-calls...

This isn't really the same, an iPhone user could just use FaceTime to make an audio or/and video call, and I know that this only works if the recipient has an iPhone but still.

@Obice  Can you call landlines with facetime?

I got a little carried away with my 'plaining... Man LOL

I would suggest you add this landline you wanna call to your contacts list and try to call it with FaceTime audio. There's no better way to know something than to try it.

Obice

@geopublic wrote:

@Obice wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Eric_ wrote:

@Eric_ 

https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/you-can-now-make-and-receive-hangouts-calls...

This isn't really the same, an iPhone user could just use FaceTime to make an audio or/and video call, and I know that this only works if the recipient has an iPhone but still.

I think the appropriate answer and most straight forward answer is a resounding no, because a landline home phone is not an iPhone in any kind of way.

A more technical answer is that technically... TECHNICALLY and IMPLAUSIBLY it could work. A home phone running via VOIP is TECHNICALLY a landline as VOIP is classified as landline technology, according to Fongo.

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212436286-Transfer-my-Fongo-Mobile-number-to-another-car...

@Obice wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Eric_ wrote:

@Eric_ 

Obice

@geopublic wrote:

@Eric_ wrote:

@Eric_ 

Eric_

Obice

WIFI calling helps to mitigate a poor cellular signal, useful if your in an area with bad coverage and not very useful if the WIFI you are connecting to is slow or the router is old (VOIP or Voice-over-Internet-Protocol is problematic with cut-outs and such, and WIFI calling is more/less what VOIP is).

Apparently your carrier has to support it.

@iliketotalk it definitely requires Public Mobile  (Telus) to enable it on their network.

Wi-Fi calling (and VoLTE) would be great! I'd love to have these features enabled on the same phones that Telus allows for their main brand.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Being able to do that without an app would be awesome, then I wouldn't have to use a new number with those other apps like Fongo which I use now, and just use my Public number for wifi calls too.

Eric_

@computergeek541  a écrit :

There are options for carriers to implement that allow customers to use a Wi-Fi connection to make regular phone calls (both incoming and outgoing).  It's no different than things are now except that an internet connection use as the transport method. Public Mobile doesn't offer this feature.

And I would like to have 😊

Eric_

Hi @iliketotalk- it's an option on iPhone and the carrier have the possibility to block or unblock. You can receive and make calls -or text- with the same number and without any app.

@Eric_ wrote:

It would be really interesting to have the possibility to make Wi-Fi calls on our iPhone. The latest discussion I saw about is from 2017. Any update, PM?

I’m actually living on Bic, close to Rimouski. The coverage is really bad and most of time, I can’t make calls or receive any text.

Please make sure to be 2019 💪 @CS_Agent 

Many thanks!

Is Rogers just as bad there as well?  If there is signal outdoors but not indoors, you may wish to consider purchasing a cellular signal booster/repeater.

@iliketotalk wrote:

@Eric_  hi I am not sure what you mean, Pm has nothing to do with wifi calling on an iphone?

There are options for carriers to implement that allow customers to use a Wi-Fi connection to make regular phone calls (both incoming and outgoing).  It's no different than things are now except that an internet connection use as the transport method. Public Mobile doesn't offer this feature.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Eric_  hi I am not sure what you mean, Pm has nothing to do with wifi calling on an iphone?

Need Help? Let's chat.