cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not switch to Koodo?

voucherking
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just have a question for all remaining public mobile "users" lol. Anyway, I jsut want to know why you no stich to koodo? 

31 REPLIES 31

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

The Rewards program gives users a huge discount and that is the main benefit why I wouldn't want to leave for Koodo. I was with Fido, and I had Fido dollars which wasn't much either. And before that it was Telus Rewards, but they scrapped that promotion just like Fido. 

As long as PM continues the rewards programs, it's a great way to save with great plans. 

The Canadawide calling is great, if you make more than 400 minutes worth in a month.

The extra GB of data is also great, if you go over 4 gB per month regularally.

i do neither of these, so the Koodo offer sucks for me.  Fall 2016 promo rocks.

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Garry

When you reach your plan limit at Koodo you are offered the choice to buy 1GB for $20

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I guess some of you are living in a cave! Lol 

Have a look at Koodo's overages before you complain about PM.

Screenshot_2017-09-10-10-23-48.png

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think an extra gig of data at PM is way too expensive. If it was cheaper, more people would buy it when they are in need of more data.

Grampa

At Koodo an extra GB is only $20 vs $30 at PM. Koodo referral bonus is $25 right away for you and $25 for person referred. With Koodo I can roam while traveling until I get a local SIM. Plus discounted phones at Koodo if you want a new one.

skifan

Being on the 90 day/ 12gb Fall promo.....I don't see the value of the Koodo Offer.....is the extra 1 GB of data or Cross-Canada long distance worth increasing my montly cost from $36 ( auto-pay and referral bonus) to $50 plus additional tax? 

My feeling is that the extra $188.16 per year, (12x14 + 12% hst) would more than cover buying the extra data or LD minutes for the odd overage that might be incurred. 

In other words, I see little, if any, advantage in this offer. Everyone has their own circumstances however, so as they say YMMV.

kingn8link

The offer is tempting, but it's not what I'm looking for and it's too soon. I feel like I JUST switched to Public Mobile during the 2016 Fall promo. I'm a loyal person. There has to be a really good reason to switch. I was also disappointed with the Koodo offer because the tab system works against the promotional plan. I would have to commit to a more expensive plan to get a more reasonably priced phone. Might as well buy a used Orchard phone and continue saving.

cricketfan

Prepaid vs postpaid. Ability to not pay for 89 days when out of country compared to putting plan on a seasonal hold for 15/m is priceless. 

Rolling over data for 3 months gives you flexibility overall. 

ScrapIron

I think I'll be sticking with Public Mobile for awhile unless their rates go up. I recently switched to it from Freedom and I'm pretty happy with the coverage. Comparing the prices between PM and Koodo, I don't see any benefit from switching since it would cost more and its the same network. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@niloc22 wrote:

Apologies if this has already been asked....but why is PublicMobile trying to get me to switch to Koodo? Is it just because I'm on the $40/4GB promo plan and they're trying to get people off it?

@niloc22 I don't think PM have come out and said as much, but that does seem to be the general concensus.  Whenever the big 3 providers (Telus, Bell, Rogers) announce their quarterly performance, they talk about 3 key things:  # of subscribers, chrun rate, and ARPU (Average Revenue Per User).  Chrun is just a percentage of the number of people that activated vs. people that left, but ARPU is a pretty key number.  If you pay attention, you'll see ARPU goes up.  Reliabily.  Every quarter.  It's one of the key metrics that investors care about, because the bigger that number gets, the bigger their potential profits (other things being equal).  So to keep the investors happy, that number has to keep going up.  The way they do that is to get everyone, on average, to spend a little more per month as often as they can.  This appears to be one of those moves.  The amount it costs Telus to give you the extra 1GB of data and the nationwide calling is a very small incremental cost, and is outweighed by increasing their ARPU another small amount.

I think the official explanation is that it's about offering up people another choice within the Telus family, where you can get a little more for a little more money.  You also get access to Koodo retail locations and phone centre for support, as well as the ability to buy a phone on a monthly tab plan, which may be appealing to some. 

But yes, at the end of the day, it's really your choice about what you value and how much you want to pay for it.  This is just another option to consider.  It may or may not work for you, personally.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Garry

I was with Koodo for 2 years prior to switching to the PM fall promo. I contacted Koodo and gave them them plenty of opportunity to keep me as their client. 

Well.......they didn't need me then, and I don't need them now!!

Vickel

@SD08 wrote:

For me, it's simple:  because PM has what I need at a price I'm willing to pay. Koodo is not offering me that. I'm on the Fall 2016 $40 for 4GB promo plan. With rewards, I'm paying just over $30/month. Koodo's switch promo even if they offer it to me (and they haven't yet), is for $50/month, which I'm not willing to spend.

This is the exact reason why im not switching. Got the offer today,

niloc22

Apologies if this has already been asked....but why is PublicMobile trying to get me to switch to Koodo? Is it just because I'm on the $40/4GB promo plan and they're trying to get people off it?

MEU_21

@torontokris wrote:

Maybe Koodo should offer 4GB for $40

That would just be a lateral move and would still be more expensive if I consider the credit for autopay. In reality, for those on the Fall Promo (4GB/$38), the offer should be closer to:

4GB LTE for $35   or   5GB LTE for $40

However, considering that they subsidise phones, this is unlikely to ever happen. Another way to look at their quagmire is that the Fall Promo was just too good a deal.

In the end, Telus won the $38/m I now pay them. That $38 would have gone to someone else. So, it may not be very profitable, but it definitely improves cash flow. I also never heard of PM before so it definitely brought awareness. The Fall Promo had a greater effect on advertising than on profitability, and I doubt that they would have gotten this level of interest if they threw all that they (may) loose to the Fall Promo subscribers in to advertising.

Q: Why not switch to Koodo?

A: Because anyone who switches receives an early morning visit from a hungry Ralph. 👺

RalphRalphRrrrrralph is on the case.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Why switch? To pay $10 more for 1 GB & long distance on the SAME network (that I dont use)?

Maybe Koodo should offer 4GB for $40

and why is the word "users" in quotes?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

1.  I didn't get the memo.

2.  I don't want to pay $10 extra to prepurchase a gig of data that I will likely never use. 

Michael77

I do like Public Mobile but for the right price I would switch to Koodo. The $50 Koodo text message offer is way too expensive compared to PM's FM promo plan. Let's see if Koodo makes a better offer. 😉 🙂

I was with Koodo before I signed up for the fall promo. It was just a better offer than what i was currently paying. I rarely ever have to deal with actual phone support. So it seemed like a no brainer for me. I get more data, for less than what I was paying with Koodo ($50 for 2GB). I've always been more of an online person anyways too. Whenever I needed support, I did it over facebook or twitter. So online support is not that new to me

zmawani

I'm not switching because it's offering me something I don't need, for a price that I don't want to pay. It's pretty much a no-brainer, but if I wanted nation-wide calling, or a bit more data, then I'd go for it.

voucherking

O.M.G 28???? 

@voucherking wrote:

i dont think that is gret offer. What about customo service and store? 

Once you are up and running, we barely need help from mods. For my 2 years with pm, I never contacted mods for account issue. Even if there is any issue, they are pretty quick to fix it. The Rewards program gives users a huge discount and that is the main benefit they wouldn't want to lose over slightly better customer service. 

SD08

@jairolevi wrote:

Because...

28 referrals hehe.

@jairolevi

Nice!  Cat Surprised

I can only dream of that.

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Because...

1. "Fall 2016 $40 for 4GB promo plan"
  2. 28 referrals hehe.

koimr1

Kind of a loaded question but I'll bite. 🙂

I'm on the June Freedom Mobile promotion ($120/12GB/90 days), with autopay and rewards it works out to just over $30 a month.

How does the Koodo promo compare with that? (I haven't been offered it)

voucherking

wow. 

MEU_21

1) I did not get an emailed offer

2) Even if I were to get the emailed offer that everyone else is getting, it is not worth it unless you need more than 4GB/m and less than 5GB/month. For those who don't call outside the province and always buy unlocked phones, it is worth even less.

3) There are better options with other providers

4) I find $38 for 4GB to be fair on PM/Koodo/Telus's network

5) I often travel outside of other provider's zones, which PM covers anyways and there is no need for Koodo.

voucherking

i dont think that is gret offer. What about customo service and store? 

SD08

For me, it's simple:  because PM has what I need at a price I'm willing to pay. Koodo is not offering me that. I'm on the Fall 2016 $40 for 4GB promo plan. With rewards, I'm paying just over $30/month. Koodo's switch promo even if they offer it to me (and they haven't yet), is for $50/month, which I'm not willing to spend.

Need Help? Let's chat.