Why have we been targeted by Kudo to switch

boopvanner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
13 REPLIES 13

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@rh66 wrote:

Promo code doesnt work

If the migration has failed online, you can always complete it at a Koodo retailer. Just show staff the text with the code and they can set it up. The offer is good till Mar 31 

rh66
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Promo code doesnt work

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@boopvanner wrote:

I'm not going anywhere we have that plan here

@boopvanner you're more than welcome to stay.  PM isn't going away, so just continue to enjoy it as you do.  This is just an offer you could choose to take if you like, for the reasons that have already been listed, such as access to a tab for phone purchases, full speed data (which you can  get at PM too, though many people have the throttled "3G"-speed data plans), international roaming, VoLTE* and VoWiFI*, Visual Voicemail**, and presumably Koodo will get RCS before PM ever does.  

* VoLTE and VoWiFi only supported on some phone models, and generally (other than qualified unlocked iPhones purchased directly from Apple) only when the phone was originally sold through Koodo.  (i.e not on a compatbile model that you bought direct from a manufacturer other than Apple or from another provider and got unlocked).

** for an additional monthly cost, as an optional add-on.  Officially only for iPhones, but works on many newer Android models too (like my OnePlus 5T, any Google Pixel, Essential phones, probably many others)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@lheintzman wrote:

@stonechucker

As a seasoned PMer, you're surely familiar with all the 3G (throttled) vs LTE discussions. My experience tends to put me in the no-significant-difference camp, with some exceptions,which would be unlikely on a bus. Have noticed that when running Google Maps through Android Auto, on the phone without a car head unit, Tune-In Radio can develop a buffering problem and suddenly stop - - and incoming calls can get routed through the phone's speaker rather than the car's Bluetooth. Of course, that's a heavy load and this could also be a memory issue, not necessarily related to data speed. Rebooting usually fixes things, but it never happened with 4G LTE. 

Somtimes the question is less about speed and more about getting things done at all, and on that score, everybody has their own requirements. 

The Tab is an interesting part of the Koodo promo. Still, the monthly savings with PM could go a long way toward buying a mid-tier phone outright, for those looking for a new device. Very much enjoyed my time with Koodo but sofar PM is working out too well to make this offer compelling. 

Good points to consider, from real life experiences.  Thanks for sharing that.

I'm not targetted on this migration - I'm a Full LTE customer here.  As I no longer drive a vehicle on a regular basis, those issues you've brought up don't directly affect me, so I'm more inclined to accept the 3G speeds as usable for me, on the device I currently own, and I'm not in the market for anything new at this time.

Every subscriber is different - I'm not sure what my choice will be closer to the renewal date.

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker

As a seasoned PMer, you're surely familiar with all the 3G (throttled) vs LTE discussions. My experience tends to put me in the no-significant-difference camp, with some exceptions,which would be unlikely on a bus. Have noticed that when running Google Maps through Android Auto, on the phone without a car head unit, Tune-In Radio can develop a buffering problem and suddenly stop - - and incoming calls can get routed through the phone's speaker rather than the car's Bluetooth. Of course, that's a heavy load and this could also be a memory issue, not necessarily related to data speed. Rebooting usually fixes things, but it never happened with 4G LTE. 

Somtimes the question is less about speed and more about getting things done at all, and on that score, everybody has their own requirements. 

The Tab is an interesting part of the Koodo promo. Still, the monthly savings with PM could go a long way toward buying a mid-tier phone outright, for those looking for a new device. Very much enjoyed my time with Koodo but sofar PM is working out too well to make this offer compelling. 

The migration is to move folks over to a non-throttled (10x faster) Full LTE package, with 5 GB of data for $50.  Years ago, I would have been interested in this, but I'm on the Fall 2016 Promo, and currently receive $12 in combined AutoPay and Loyalty rewards for my 90-day cycle, which drops my 'regular price' by $4 a month.  I also get per cycle rewards of $9 for 3 referrals, and then there are the rewards for community involvement.

My next 90-day renewal I'm expecting to only pay $45 for my 90 days.  That is if I don't switch to the new $25 package, which will be $0 for me.

I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do, as I don't receive the top LTE speeds on my LTE (no-throttle) plan.  I also rarely use more than 3 GB per 30/days.  I did a speed test while on the bus to work this morning - my fastest test ever - 45 download, 2 upload.

I'm amazed of that speed, but I'm rarely using my phone for anything important on the bus.  Home and work are slower speeds.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Just treat the offer as no different than junk mail.  Some people will like the offer and take it, others won't.  It is no big deal if you don't like the offer, just ignore it.  We all know how to manage junk mail. 

@boopvanner 

True, but if you need a new phone, Koodo phone deals are quite attractive.  Lots of RFD threads about certain phone specials, etc.  You can also cancel earlier if needed, but just need to pay off Koodo tab.  

@boopvanner 

Also, it looks better in the Telus books.  More post paid customers.  

If you noticed, the Koodo plan is $50, so it is more "expensive" than the target group which is the $40 plan PM customers.  You get more data at Lte speed with some extra cost and potential hardware options.  For heavier use clients, it might be worth it.  

For myself, we barely use 2-3 GB per month, so we probably won't switch unless the deal is better in the future.   Smiley Happy

boopvanner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Didn't realize I posted it twice...my bad...

Yeah I know Telus owns Kudo and Public Mobile but if they really wanted my business they would have offered this a long time ago...

I like being in control of my iwn account and if I wanted a phone there are a lot of businesses selling them out there instead of getting myself stuck in a plan with a tab...

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@boopvanner wrote:

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/public-mobile-50-8gb-migration-plan/

I'm not going anywhere we have that plan here

@boopvanner  Not sure why you posted this twice, I am sure someone will combine them for you.

Not sure if you are aware but PM is telus, so is Koodo.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

As a recent arriver I am not sure if you know that PM is owned by Telus which also owns Koodo.  Lately their have be offers targeted at select plans to migrate to Koodo.  Some members like the offers and will move up "the food chain" others don't.  Koodo you still have call centres and stores and can subsidize phones and some people really do want that and didn't realize how much they needed that until they came to PM.  For others it is no big deal and like the less for less

@boopvanner Both Public Mobile and Koodo are owned by Telus. They are probably trying to get people to switch because they can make more money selling phones, that's what the tab is for.
Need Help? Let's chat.