cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does PM data and internet browsing work without logging in?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

My dad's with Freedom, and has to log into his account to use data, this allows him to send/receive mms messages with data enabled and still protects his data. Here at PM , once set up properly, and when data is enabled it works. So, to preserve our data, we have to add further protections. I have 2 questions:

1. Why doesn't PM have such a data protecting feature?

2. Will there be something similar added in the near future?

Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20

@darlicious wrote:

If I remember correctly I think this is similar to fido which just gave you the option to restrict/disable the data within your account to prevent overages. (Or is this just wishful thinking?)

That can be done on many phones. However, this method of minimizing data usage is the result of  a phone rather than account setting.

If I remember correctly I think this is similar to fido which just gave you the option to restrict/disable the data within your account to prevent overages. (Or is this just wishful thinking?)

@smiley3 wrote:

That is a very interesting question, because it seems to me that sometimes my Data seems to be getting used up when I'm on wifi, or not even using data, which is frustrating because I don't have much!  Perhaps this is why!

You're not supposed to have to log into use your data.  The idea of forciing someone to approve each and every bit of data used isn't feasible.  For many, this would make it so that you might as well not even have it. The solution is to simply turn data off in the phone's menus.

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That is a very interesting question, because it seems to me that sometimes my Data seems to be getting used up when I'm on wifi, or not even using data, which is frustrating because I don't have much!  Perhaps this is why!

@gblackma wrote:

My dad's with Freedom, and has to log into his account to use data, this allows him to send/receive mms messages with data enabled and still protects his data. Here at PM , once set up properly, and when data is enabled it works. So, to preserve our data, we have to add further protections. I have 2 questions:

Thanks.

I've used Freedom. Customers don't have to log in to use data. The would cause a large nubmer of complaints because that would cause anyone to not be able to use any background data (weather updates, recevie notfications of new e-mail messages). It would make the service useless.  

There could be a data block option in Freedom Mobile's customer self serve accounts, just as they allow customers to toggle on and off national roaming or international calling, but once the data feature is enabled, it should remain turned on. 

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gblackma 

There are ways that you can block/limit data directly from the device (phone).  It may be easier that logging into the freedom portal to use data.  On android phones, there is a toggle in the pull down menu for data.  Data can be easily turned on or off.

What type of phone does he have, maybe we can help shows ways to control data.  The Public mobile system does have a great feature of once the data is done for the cycle, you do not get charged more.  

@popping  We have a very similar set up but I use all my features on SIM 1 and just use SIM 2 as back up for now or I pull out the SIM to use in another phone if I need two phones.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I am using a dual SIM phone with 2 SIM cards.

SIM1 is configured for data only. 

SIM2 is configured for talk and text only with data enabled for MMS.   

Although SIM2 has the 1GB bonus add-on and data enabled, my dual SIM phone does not use data for browsing on SIM2 and MMS in/out without using the add-on data.  BTW, I have the $10 50/50 plan on SIM2.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gblackma wrote:

Thanks.

That's very interesting to hear. I searched around online but was not able to find any info about freedom having a login to use the data system. To answer your question 

Nowadays, everyone wants to access the internet by click of a button. I can't imagine my self logging into a website before I open for eg. WhatsApp or Facebook.

As technology is changing so fast nowadays companies want to compete with the best features. Nowadays Smartphones are built with this kind of technology to disable data and stuff. Everyone company will have its own benefits that makes them unique. Logging into a website before accessing the internet seems to be a "back in the old day"s kind of technology. So if something like this is ever introduced it will also have Pros and cons.

Cheers

@gblackma  Oh ok I get it now it's like a service they have set up for the non tech savvy....no offense to your dad but it's browsing for dummies. No chance of leaving mobile data on for updates or having to thru the phone turning background data off. If you are not logged into the the freedom account you can't use data. That would be good for parents as a parental control over their kids data usage.

jlhopes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have never heard of that kind of system, either. Once you get past the lock screen, and as long as data is turned on, there is usually no other barrier to using data.

Thanks @kselmak Will take a look at his apn settings to see if its in there. This may be a way to help others conserve data without impeding mms.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma 

I never had such an inconvenient with freedom, once the APN is set up it just works. There are no logins of any sort.

That is not usual for freedom, they must have 'helped' him not to devour his data. I wander if something like that can be just specified in apn settings, lots of switches for data are on that level.

Just imagine if that's how public mobile worked out of the box, there would be screaming

@darlicious , It could be viewed as a simple method of preserving data for the less technological advanced.

That seems weirdly big brotherish and backwards all at the same time.

That's a good question @darlicious , I will try logging into his Freedom account using his phone without wifi to see if there is only a block on other sites and programs. 

No @gjong26 he has to log into his Freedom account using his phone and remain logged in to browse the internet.

@gblackma 

I still trying to understand this concept as it certainly not in places as of last August when I was a customer. Why would want to log into your account to use data? This doesn't make any sense to me. If your data had to be enabled go use mobile data how to you log into your account on your phone if you have no data enabled to begin with? I'm confused.

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Are you sure this is not a feature thats part of the phone?  For me that would be annoying having to do that all the time.  You can lock your phone and this prevents anyone from using it including calling and data.  Is that what you mean?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have never heard of such a feature.  I was a Wind customer back in the day and never had such encumbrances to using data.  Freedom is doing things differently than others.  So, I see zero.zero chance of any changes with this service to emulate Freedom. 

Need Help? Let's chat.