cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I use my unlocked Motorola RAZR V3 Flip with my PM SIM?

Die1touchdie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've hated the Alcatel onetouch from the moment I was obliged to buy it post buy-out (the texting design is an absolute joke), but a 'waste not, want not' inner voice kept me from getting something different. Recently I messed up the screen by dropping it, however, so I settled on an unlocked RAZR for my new flip.

The SIM fits and brings up old unsent messages etc. in the new phone, there appears to be a little icon showing a tower with signal (in any case I'm at home where the cursed onetouch works fine), but I can't call or text anyone. Is the RAZR 'too old' in some way I'm not aware of? I've tried a bunch of Internet reading but can't seem to find the right information. 

6 REPLIES 6

Yes, @chukdefatey is absolutely right.

@Die1touchdie,

To get a new smartphone that will work on Public Mobile, you have to purchase a phone unlocked or locked to Telus/Koodo.

I suggest you Telus (online only), Staples, Best buy, Costco or Walmart.

Public Mobile is owned by Telus and for your information Telus and Bell are sharing the same towers.

Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile frequency bands are :

3G UMTS/HSPA (850MHz/1900MHz)

4G LTE Band 4 = AWS 2100/1700MHz

4G LTE-Advanced = 700MHz (not yet launched by Telus/Bell)

Die1touchdie

Okay, I wish I'd known the right questions to ask before purchasing. Lesson learned, thanks again.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^No matter what you do to it it won't work. However for now(soon to be decommissioned) it will work just fine on Rogers, Chatr and Fido because once again they are the only company with a 2G network

Die1touchdie

Thanks for your quick response!

So a 2G phone absolutely will not function on a 3G  or 4G network? No way around this? The RAZR seems an even greater waste of cash than the onetouch. Ouch.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Flip Moto Razr is a 2G GSM phone. Meaning it runs on a 2G network. Public Mobile doesn't have a 2G network. However your phone will work just fine on the Rogers Group of companies 2G Network. They are the only ones in Canada with a 2G network.

Die1touchdie

Oh, for what it's worth, I put the IMEI into the PM site and the result suggested I should be able to use it.

Need Help? Let's chat.