Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Public Mobile?

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey,

• How did you discover Public Mobile?
  • Why did you choose Public Mobile?
  • If you had a previous provider what were your reasons for switching to Public Mobile?
29 REPLIES 29

GuyM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Coming off a company paid plan ( they did not want the phone back ) and went unlocked and got rejected by Virgin Mobile at RCSS so had to look at other ( and better options). I had pulled all the info for sellers and virtual providers and at the time , not many did BYOD. Not sure how my credit was rejected by Virgin/Bell but glad their system did..and yup I checked and Equifax showed they checked and Equifax consumer credit score was near the max...but businesses use a different system of credit checks. Wind ( now Freedom ) and Chatr not an option at the time due to its then complicated system or not compatible with the phone I was using ( and still have) and I never want a contract ...again , ever. Had a few Rogers experiences that tainted chatr and any of their brands.

BYOD , no contract , cheap , reliable , sufficient for my personal needs but would not be for business needs and intermational travel. I am technical enough to do most of my own stuff so a good fit for me and would and do recommend for other tech savy folls I know.I have no need for the latest phone and will never take a contract to pay for a phone and a lot of stuff I do not need and be stuck for 2 years.

• If you had a previous provider what were your reasons for switching to Public Mobile?

Limited options with Bell and its brands and I live in BC so PM/Telus coverage here is amazing. I have never had any coverage issues anywhere in Canada I have gone ( YYC , YYZ , etc). I get great coverage in smaller communities where Freedom simpy has almost no coverage. I had no need for a full service Telus plan or a Koodoo plan , this fit all my needs.

Been a happy camper for years!

@Ed404 wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

You were going to get a postive response because of title. Also, if members are customers, you're likely to hear the good because they would have left if unhappy.

Have you seen the Bell and Rogers forums, there are many unhappy customers still there complaining lol.

Good point. Not all people praise or complain. I mean that you'll find more praise here about Public Mobile than the Rogers forum.  I also mean that if the title was Why Not Public Mobile, there might be more negative things said.

Ed404

@smp99 wrote:

And that's the difference. You can leave PM whenever you want. Often with Bell/Rogers you are locked in to staying.

I keep forgetting that this isn't contracted, sorry.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ed404 wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

You were going to get a postive response because of title. Also, if members are customers, you're likely to hear the good because they would have left if unhappy.

Have you seen the Bell and Rogers forums, there are many unhappy customers still there complaining lol.

And that's the difference. You can leave PM whenever you want. Often with Bell/Rogers you are locked in to staying.

Ed404

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

Kim1971kim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I found it online when searching for cheap phone plans and I saw the prices I like cheap so this was the best option 

@Ed404 wrote:

I appreciate the detailed replies!

You usually don't hear good things about your providers online. Public Mobile must be an exceptional service if you're here describing your experiences!

This just reinforces my decision to switch to Public Mobile this month.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed404

I appreciate the detailed replies!

You usually don't hear good things about your providers online. Public Mobile must be an exceptional service if you're here describing your experiences!

This just reinforces my decision to switch to Public Mobile this month.

Thanks,

Ed

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I like the loyalty program and will see this trial period how it goes. I am new here and looking forward too transferring phone number from carrier and learning how too do it whole earning rewards 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ed404 wrote:

• Heard about Public Mobile from a former co-worker who was promoting PM for referral rewards (Nov 2016), but also to get the word out there.
  • I switched to PM for the huge financial savings for almost identical/similar services I was paying more for, without switching physical networks or devices (back then, carrier-locked).  I had no interest in subsidized devices, tabs, etc., and loved the BYOP model.
  • I was on Telus Mobility from 1996-2015, and switched to Koodo (for lower prices) on June 3, 2015 when I got out of my 3-year contract (was about 2.5 years in), since the CRTC put an end to contracts >2 years. In late 2016 to early 2017, I learned about PM and it made sense to switch, since it would be seamless (simply SIM swap). I'd be paying less, while staying on a super-reliable network (in AB). I did leave PM for a 3-month stint on Freedom in Dec 2017-Feb 2018 because of a lifetime 35% F&F discount which made things even cheaper. I hated it (phone was always showing "No Service" or "Away"), so I came running back to PM, and realized I had a good thing.  Here to stay, because everything is a perfect "fit".

Lar

1. First time I ever heard of PM was a discussion at a motorcycle forum where I'm a member, then heard PM mentioned again by a relative.

2. I chose PM because of the $10 plan to give it a try with not much to lose. Still here and very happy.

3. Previously with Bell-hell who just kept putting the price up and up without notice until I'd finally had enough.

I've been with PM less than a year and already saved enough to pay for the new phone I bought when I started here.

Great community,  Cheers

Lonetreejim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My family had been with Rogers for years and years on a share data plan.  Two phones were on a grandfathered BYOD $30/mth plan and the other 3 were on "normal" big 3 rates.  I was paying $3,932/yr.

When I moved into the country I found I was on Rogers EXT all the time when I was in the house.  My neighbor, on Bell, always has 3 bars but I was just a tad reluctant to go to Bell (bad past experiences).

My brother told me about Public Mobile.

I did the research and determined that PM used Bell towers when Telus was not close by.  I calculated that I could save $1,707/yr on PM and have 20GB of data (instead of the 10 GB I had with Rogers).

It was a no brainer.  I bought 5 SIM cards, transferred all the numbers (which automatically killed my Rogers account) and have lived happily ever after.  And because PM has no telephone customer support I haven't been lied to once since I switched (tongue-in-cheek).

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

1) Google

2) Offered a data only plan.

3) Other provider didn't offer data only add-on and didn't want to switch plan to get data.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

1)  Discovered it online.  They were just ending their SIM swap promo where you can swap something useless for a free SIM card.  Got a free SIM card and a SIM swap t-shirt.

2)  I was a disgruntled Wind customer at the time.  The 2016 fall promo had just rolled out.  It was a screaming hot deal compared to other in market plans and deals.  The rewards have made staying a very easy decision.

3)  See answer 2 above. 

DL888

• How did you discover Public Mobile? doing my HW before deciding.
  • Why did you choose Public Mobile? value and rewards
  • If you had a previous provider what were your reasons for switching to Public Mobile? price and value.

Ed404

Thanks I had no idea. The more you know.

Well, all existing PM plans other than the $15 plan have unlimited incoming calls (and unlimited outgoing calls too). When they launched the $15 plan it had 100 minutes combined in and out calls but they then changed it to unlimited incoming and 100 outgoing.

AE_Collector

@Ed404 wrote:

The $15 plan has 100 minutes, why is unlimited incoming calls an advertised feature don't all services offer this?

No, they don't.

Ed404
@tsparkle21 wrote:
$15 plan is really $13 with Auto-Pay, unlimited incoming calls, unlimited international text are features that stand out.

The $15 plan has 100 minutes, why is unlimited incoming calls an advertised feature don't all services offer this?

nightbrad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A friend recommended it after I was griping about paying 100$ a month for my cell bill. 

The gouging and non stop price increAses causes me to leave. Never again!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

• A friend told me about it
  • Cheaper more data and an opportunity to lower my bill with rewards
  • I was with Rogers on a family share plan with 2.5GB of data for around $111 a month. I moved my wife and me over to the fall promo and we each got 4GB for $38 for 30 days (Breaking fall promo data and cost with autopay reward down to 30 days for comparison)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

I knew about Public Mobile since its days of being an independent expansion carrier.  For me, I was with Wind Mobile, and really me leaving them didn't have as much to do with Public Mobile's offerings, but rather with how bad the Wind network was at the time. I was paying $35/month for a plan with talk, text, and 5GB of data, yet that wasn't enough for them to keep me as a cutstomer.  When Public Mobile came out with the Fall Promo plan, I figured that I would only really be losing 1GB of non-throttled data and only paying $5 more. In return, I would get use of a network that actually worked.

Am a retired Telus employee. They came up with a special cell phone deal for us retirees about 5 years ago. $40 unlimited Canada calling, unlimited texting, 1 Gb of LTE data and $300 towards a new phone every 24 months. That wasn't a screaming deal but was as good as it gets at the time. But over the last 5 years nothing changed with the retirees plan and no option for more data though it was only 2c per extra Mb beyond the included 1Gb but $20 a Gb still isn't great.

Not wanting to leave TELUS I started looking around and basically got same plan less the new phone credit for $23. I stretch a phone out to the bitter end so not worth paying extra for the credit when it might be 5 years before I cash in.

Here is my landline phone. It still has lots of life left in it as well....

442C9D8A-0963-4733-9162-FD443E10B002.jpeg

@tsparkle21 wrote:

1. There is a site that compares plans. Under pre-paids, the 3 most popular are Public Mobile, Chatr and Lucky.

You mean that Whistleout site? Speakout and Freedom would be compared for prepaid too.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

How: saw a store advertising PM and then read up onine (2014)

Why: best price

Reason to switch: savings in a year paid for new iPhone

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

Cheap plans 

Isn't that why for almost everybody?

tsparkle21

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

1. There is a site that compares plans. Under pre-paids, the 3 most popular are Public Mobile, Chatr and Lucky.

2. $15 plan is really $13 with Auto-Pay, unlimited incoming calls, unlimited international text are features that stand out.

3. I am still on Fido as well as I have good perks for being there a while, but I needed other lines for family members.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

Redflagdeal forum

Cheaper prices with Telus/Bell coverage/reception

Fido increased my prices and could not match Public mobile prices.  Funny thing is that if Fido did not increase the price, I would have stayed with Fido.  Over time, moved another line over to Public mobile.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ed404 wrote:

Hey,

1) Google

2) save money

3) saving money

Need Help? Let's chat.