cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who’s sticking around?

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Seems like these forums have deteriorated into a place to discuss migration offers and not much else. I’ve even seen some who’s leaving threads. I plan on keeping an eye out for better options but will be sticking around until that time. 

So, who all plans on sticking around?

85 REPLIES 85

@UMM you may not be aware BUT cell companies are nearly exempt from provincial law

Telecommunications is the sole playground of the Feds

This also is the same reason carriers like Telus / Bell & Rogers who all have offices in Ontario force their employees to work on stat holidays (such as Family Day) with no pay bonuses

Consumer protection in Ontario anyways happens to be one of the worst (I would have far more faith in an angry Quebec client having any chance in a court room)

@UMMwrote:

The wireless code does not subsume consumer rights laws and case law, and I find it curious why anyone would advocate otherwise.

Wonder_why

@SEwrote:

How did you get 12GB per 90 days? When did you sign up? I could only get 6GB per 90 days 😞

@SE 2016 fall Promo, also 2017 during summer target FM customer actually was 6GB for 90 days plus 6GB Data bonus, that round up to 12GB, this deals will never ever happen again, like Dave said While all good things must come to an end at some point,now I have switch to Koodo 6GB Data for $40 a month 😄😃 PM send us the PROMO CODES 

SE
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How did you get 12GB per 90 days? When did you sign up? I could only get 6GB per 90 days 😞

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

i am sticking around as well.

Tallguy11
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm gonna stick around.. My plan is perfect for my use and will just get cheaper the longer I stay! 

Foxjig1

Anyone looking for PM referrals just send me a note guys I'll be more than happy to share. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@UMMwrote: 

The wireless code does not subsume consumer rights laws and case law, and I find it curious why anyone would advocate otherwise.

Yes and No.  "[Today] the CRTC is an independent public authority and reports to Parliament" ... it can call itself whatever it wants but it is basically a government-funded and government-mandated and government-subordinate organization.  It is basically a government machine meant to assert government control over communications, the Big Three (Big Four) players basically all trace their lineage (through a sometimes twisted path) to "privatized" Crown Corporations.  They've always made the Telecomm (and then Datacomm) laws in Canada, the CRTC is their legal instrument, the CRTC Wireless Code is the de-facto legal code referenced by the courts in this business.  The CRTC (and CCTS) do serve communications customers but their primary mission is to enforce the status quo, thus our cellphone providers enjoy a oligopoly market instead of competing in a free market.

A consumer could challenge the CRTC in court.  Just like anyone could challenge the CRA in court.  But you'd better have a seriously solid case if you want to beat them in a legal arena where they're they ones writing consumer laws.  Victory isn't impossible but the odds of success seem overwhelmingly dismal.

shrimpdude
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541wrote:

@mimmowrote:

@computergeek541 great to hear.  It's hard to swallow the price - rewards at pm vs koodo.  The koodo offer is great if you have few referrals and if you get an additional 100$ referal.

I switched my wife,  and "realised" after that she lost the long distance to USA which she used occasionally.

I don't think I will go anywhere untill I have to.

The Koodo price is fantastic - it really is.  But, I think my original decision to leave during this round of offers was probably hasty.  A few years ago (at Wind with unlimited data), I used to use more data, but recently, I've been only using maybe about 10 to 20% of my 12GB over 90 days.  My case would result in me paying more for something I'm not using.  There'll always be another offer by someone, somewhere.  People often just want to lock in the plan out of fear it will never be offered again.  But in some ways, that's silly to do because there's never any guarantee that the price won't go up later anyway.  In the meanwhile short-term period, I'd be paying more for no reason.

What's that saying about if it ain't broke(n)?  I know Public Mobile still does have system glitch issues and such, but right now, me moving around to Koodo just to get something I don't need would just me messing around, changing things up, and swtiching around unnecessarily when things are fine now  (at least for me - I've never ran in to any of the strange Public Mobile bugs). 

I'm sticking it out to the bitter end, and this is exactly my reasoning.

@mimmowrote:

@computergeek541 great to hear.  It's hard to swallow the price - rewards at pm vs koodo.  The koodo offer is great if you have few referrals and if you get an additional 100$ referal.

I switched my wife,  and "realised" after that she lost the long distance to USA which she used occasionally.

The Koodo price is fantastic - it really is.  But, I think my original decision to leave during this round of offers was probably hasty.  A few years ago (at Wind with unlimited data), I used to use more data, but recently, I've been only using maybe about 10 to 20% of my 12GB over 90 days.  My case would result in me paying more for something I'm not using.  There'll always be another offer by someone, somewhere.  People often just want to lock in the plan out of fear it will never be offered again.  But in some ways, that's silly to do because there's never any guarantee that the price won't go up later anyway.  In the meanwhile short-term period, I'd be paying more for no reason.

What's that saying about if it ain't broke(n)?  I know Public Mobile still does have system glitch issues and such, but right now, me moving around to Koodo just to get something I don't need would just me messing around, changing things up, and swtiching around unnecessarily when things are fine now  (at least for me - I've never ran in to any of the strange Public Mobile bugs). 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I was originally in the long leaving list but I changed my mind and am now staying with Public Mobile.  I sent an e-mail off to Koodo webstore asking for cancelation.  If I didn't make the request on time and end up receiving the phone, I'll just send everything back without any loss (well, except for the $15 for sim).  The Koodo 6GB $40 is no doubt fantastic, but after factoring in Public Mobile rewards, Public is still less expensive for me.  I currently don't use anywhere close to my current 12GB over 90 days, and I don't really need Canada-wide calling.

koimr1

@stallaepwrote:

Great post, but has anyone actually been able to take advantage of the $100 bill credit and earn a $100 referral while asking advantage of this 6 GB for $40 promo?

A friend already on Koodo sent me a referral. When you follow the link, it talks about each of you getting $100 bill credit for that, but where can you enter the promo code for the other $100 credit and the 6 GB for $40 plan.

Guy in the kiosk says the only way to take advantage of the promo is in-store, but then they limit you and a friend to just $25 referral discounts.  Has anyone actually taken advantage of all the discounts and promotions by doing it yourself online?  And do you have to have a SIM card in hand?

Kiosk guy was wrong - the promo can be done online and if you do so you will get a $100 bill credit.

He was correct in that you can also do it in-store but then the credit is only $25.

Go to Koodo's site and try and sign-up for a plan - pick a dummy plan (anything) and you will be able to enter your promo code and then your PM phone number - if accepted you will then see the new promo plan and the $100 credit and can proceed from there.

You do NOT need nor want a SIM in-hand - in fact the online order will include one (and you have to pay $15+tax for it) and you'll need to wait for it to activate.

To get the referral credit of $100 (which is additional to the above!) make sure you've followed a referral link FIRST before doing the above. Then when you are all activated with Koodo you will have instructions to redeem the referral afterwards as well as be able to give out referrals of your own. You can have up to $300 referral credit per year.

stallaep
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@ShawnC13wrote:

I am in decision moded right now.  $100 bill credit and $100 referral credits can go a long way.  6GB for $40 is a GREAT price.  I planned on paying 40 when I came over to PM so even though it would cost double what I pay now this is a tough choice.  Even if I do switch between my wife and I would be $80 a month.  When we were with Rogers we were at $110 and SHARED 2.5GB so saving $30 and each getting 6GB is AMAZING.  Will be making my decision over the next couple of days.

I still don't think the current pricing will be around forever.  I don't care what was said, this price will not be 12GB for $120 forever.  They will find a way to change it.

Great post, but has anyone actually been able to take advantage of the $100 bill credit and earn a $100 referral while asking advantage of this 6 GB for $40 promo?

A friend already on Koodo sent me a referral. When you follow the link, it talks about each of you getting $100 bill credit for that, but where can you enter the promo code for the other $100 credit and the 6 GB for $40 plan.

Guy in the kiosk says the only way to take advantage of the promo is in-store, but then they limit you and a friend to just $25 referral discounts.  Has anyone actually taken advantage of all the discounts and promotions by doing it yourself online?  And do you have to have a SIM card in hand?

Wonder_why

@srlawren I will follow you 👍 😄

srlawren

@srlawrenwrote:

@willph I have yet to visit it (but likely will very shortly), but there is a Koodo community too.  Many of the members you are familiar with here I think probably already are or will shortly be arriving in the Koodo community.....  maybe keep an eye out there?  🙂 

In case anyone's curious, I have officially surfaced in the Koodo community; that said, I haven't done much yet.  Maybe I'll see some of y'all around them parts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

markuswarren

I'm sticking around.

I might not get that much in loyalty rewards (just the auto-pay one), and do not have any referalls, so no discount there either. I'm fine with the plan I have right now (Fall Promo 2106 / 12GB/$120/90 day LTE)

The promotions to switch simply aren't interesting enough to me right now to make me switch.

It seems PM is trying very, very hard to get people to switch. As per another thread, I've had a phone call from a local Koodo store about switching.

It really seems like they are deparate to get us to switch, but I'm not going.

MEU_21

@Xevynwrote:

But would you really want to move back if PM stopped offerring LTE plans?  

No, and that wasn't one of the conditions I said I would come back under. I'm sure that by then 4G will be today's 3G. 

Xevyn

@MEU_21wrote:

True enough. I don't spend $40 either but, that is what I was willing to spend from the beginning. I also don't need canada-wide, but I'll take it if it is beign offered. Same with tab.

If I will need to move to a lower priced plan or one with less GB.. I would always be able to come back here anytime, minus loyalty and one referral.

As an aside, I have received exactly $70 in rewards  at PM over the past 2 years, while a referral at Koodo will net me more than that in one day.

But would you really want to move back if PM stopped offerring LTE plans?  

MEU_21

@kav2001cwrote:

@MEU_21 as I said my situation is different (unique?)

1- I never paid PM the $40 per month (not even close Cat Wink )

3- You know way back when I was concerned about not having Canada Wide calling. But it has been a non-factor for myself and many others. Koodo Tab is not worth much, I far prefer what Telus is doing on their contracts.

4- Public/Telus/Bell/Koodo etc its all the same network

5- It happens sooner or later on all carriers and all plans

6- Still not a fan of Tab contracts

8- Nope. Again the rewards are nice, but I get another discount that has nothing to do with the rewards hence my comment about plan being safer / better insulated than a normal plan.

True enough. I don't spend $40 either but, that is what I was willing to spend from the beginning. I also don't need canada-wide, but I'll take it if it is beign offered. Same with tab.

If I will need to move to a lower priced plan or one with less GB.. I would always be able to come back here anytime, minus loyalty and one referral.

As an aside, I have received exactly $70 in rewards  at PM over the past 2 years, while a referral at Koodo will net me more than that in one day.

@MEU_21 as I said my situation is different (unique?)

1- I never paid PM the $40 per month (not even close Cat Wink )

3- You know way back when I was concerned about not having Canada Wide calling. But it has been a non-factor for myself and many others. Koodo Tab is not worth much, I far prefer what Telus is doing on their contracts.

4- Public/Telus/Bell/Koodo etc its all the same network

5- It happens sooner or later on all carriers and all plans

6- Still not a fan of Tab contracts

8- Nope. Again the rewards are nice, but I get another discount that has nothing to do with the rewards hence my comment about plan being safer / better insulated than a normal plan.

@MEU_21wrote:

1. I was willing to spend ~$40 for PM to begin with, so why not Koodo

2. The closest current in-market plan from PM to what is being offered on Koodo is their 5GB/$60 promo, and this seems to set the direction for PM -> $20 more for 1GB less! https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/promotions/60for5GB-4GLTE

3. For the $40 that I was willing to pay PM, Koodo will provide me more with Canada-wide, 6GB, Tab, etc.

4. I stay on the same network that has proven adequate for my needs.

5. If Koodo were to raise their plans, it would be no different then if I would leave PM now. Nothing lost, but I'll probably be able to lock-in the $40 rate for a couple of years with Koodo.

6. I might be able to get a good deal on a phone at Koodo (Although FM has even better deals!)

7. The $100 Credit helps offset the cost of money locked-in at PM, and will still have money left over to subsidize Koodo's plan for a year.

8. If you stayed, and rewards were removed, you'll be worse off than on the Koodo offer. And if they raise your rate, as intended, you'll be even worse off. If both happened, I don't see how staying on PM's plan would be insulating you from anything.

MEU_21

@kav2001cwrote:

I might have stayed even with the $150/12GB plan

My situation is a little bit more unique than the vast majority but I will say even if price increased and all rewards were removed tommorrow my plan is a little bit better insulated than most peoples

I had posted in another thread way back when this all started if worst came to worst I could simply port my number out as I actually have too many phones in my household right now (only holding them since all the relevant plans are insanely cheap)

Finally I do want to comment there are lots of strange ideas about Public being "forced" into keeping existing plans etc.

Anyone who thinks Public can not raise rates or make people want to leave are delusional 

I am in the same boat. I have an extra FM line with the 8+1 GB including US roaming and the 35% F&F, that is just sitting around without much use, but PM provided me with a decent coverage outside FM zones for a decent price. I could just drop PM if I wanted to, but there are benfits to switching to Koodo instead:

1. I was willing to spend ~$40 for PM to begin with, so why not Koodo

2. The closest current in-market plan from PM to what is being offered on Koodo is their 5GB/$60 promo, and this seems to set the direction for PM -> $20 more for 1GB less! https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/promotions/60for5GB-4GLTE

3. For the $40 that I was willing to pay PM, Koodo will provide me more with Canada-wide, 6GB, Tab, etc.

4. I stay on the same network that has proven adequate for my needs.

5. If Koodo were to raise their plans, it would be no different then if I would leave PM now. Nothing lost, but I'll probably be able to lock-in the $40 rate for a couple of years with Koodo.

6. I might be able to get a good deal on a phone at Koodo (Although FM has even better deals!)

7. The $100 Credit helps offset the cost of money locked-in at PM, and will still have money left over to subsidize Koodo's plan for a year.

8. If you stayed, and rewards were removed, you'll be worse off than on the Koodo offer. And if they raise your rate, as intended, you'll be even worse off. If both happened, I don't see how staying on PM's plan would be insulating you from anything.

koimr1

@srlawrenwrote:

@koimr1 I really missed the boat on Reddit.  I guess I should try to delve in at some point, I know it's a treasure trove of discussion on a massive number of topics.  Just not sure I have the patience!

Yup, "patience" is the key word. I tend to stick to technical subreddits and try to just listen in instead of posting - "try" being another key word for me. 🙂

The Koodo subreddit is normally fairly quiet, as is the PM one - however the past few weeks has seen a lot more activity for both, as you can imagine. Mostly for referrals.

On the other hand, Koodo doesn't seem to have many of the website/activation/addon/etc problems that PM has which is good for customers but doesn't lead to a lot of posts needing to be made about them. I'll have to try and break as much as I can so we can post about it. 🙂

srlawren

@koimr1 I really missed the boat on Reddit.  I guess I should try to delve in at some point, I know it's a treasure trove of discussion on a massive number of topics.  Just not sure I have the patience!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

dr-et

Luddite you sound like a troll for Koodo!!

you are tempting me now sitting here with four accounts.

still prefer this plan over the other,no overages especially with the kids.

easier to raise prices on monthly plans,psychologically.

sticking around for a while.

feel bad for you guys that lost community friends to the dark side.

greetings

I might have stayed even with the $150/12GB plan

My situation is a little bit more unique than the vast majority but I will say even if price increased and all rewards were removed tommorrow my plan is a little bit better insulated than most peoples

I had posted in another thread way back when this all started if worst came to worst I could simply port my number out as I actually have too many phones in my household right now (only holding them since all the relevant plans are insanely cheap)

Finally I do want to comment there are lots of strange ideas about Public being "forced" into keeping existing plans etc.

Anyone who thinks Public can not raise rates or make people want to leave are delusional 

koimr1

@willphwrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@willph I have yet to visit it (but likely will very shortly), but there is a Koodo community too.  Many of the members you are familiar with here I think probably already are or will shortly be arriving in the Koodo community.....  maybe keep an eye out there?  🙂 

Thanks @srlawren !  I'll take a peek.  But it isn't really a sense of familiar members more so the community we built in order to better support each other and in a way....make things run.  Sense of pride.  I didn't post much during the past year but towards the beginning I took pride in helping others after i got sorted and so many people assisted me.  Remember getting that first community reward and was like... "hell yaaaa".  haha.

The Koodo community doesn't look to be as much fun as it was here. 😞

I'll probably just stick to the Koodo subreddit. Maybe make up some troll accounts using the Oracles' names from here asking questions so I can feel like a big-shot answering them. Smiley LOL

koimr1

@UMMwrote:

@koimr1wrote:

@UMMwrote:

*shrug*

Your definition of "advocate" must mean something different than what I'm used to - I've already told you I don't like how it is either.

You are correct on this point. Instead of "advocate" I should have said "incorrectly argue."

Yes! Very good! Writing that telecoms use the CRTC Wireless Code to change plans and adding that I don't like it either is incorrectly arguing for it! Sound logic and comprehension!

Good job, sir. You have won this hard-fought, self-made argument against someone who essentially agrees with you! 🙂

UMM

@koimr1wrote:

@UMMwrote:

*shrug*

Your definition of "advocate" must mean something different than what I'm used to - I've already told you I don't like how it is either.

You are correct on this point. Instead of "advocate" I should have said "incorrectly argue."

willph

@srlawrenwrote:

@willphwrote:

Gonna stick around for now but I also have one foot out the door.

It sucks cause this community has lost a lot of great members im sure.

Thanks @srlawren !  I'll take a peek.  But it isn't really a sense of familiar members more so the community we built in order to better support each other and in a way....make things run.  Sense of pride.  I didn't post much during the past year but towards the beginning I took pride in helping others after i got sorted and so many people assisted me.  Remember getting that first community reward and was like... "hell yaaaa".  haha.

We shall see where the cookies all crumble.  I wish PM was a bit more transparent and clear with what the future looks like.  They said in their post that they are a transparent company but these past few months have been a bit dark. Im still hoping it all turns around for the better.  If not, I'll pop over to Koodo.  Bell arm is still too expensive out here on the east coast, and Rogers is just a no-no for signal.  My only real alternative for decent service and price may be Eastlink.  

koimr1

@UMMwrote:

*shrug*

If you're just desperately seeking someone to internet-fight over this with then great, have at it.

Need Help? Let's chat.