cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Telus/Public Mobile enable RCS?

greifr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Google is moving forward with RCS (Rich Communication Service) despite carriers being very slow to go along. In Canada both Rogers and Bell have it and Freedom recently announced they will soon have it. What about Telus?

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@m4tth3w wrote:
@srlawrenRemember when RIM brought BBM to Android?

@m4tth3w I sure do!!  A bad case of "too little, too late".  Granted, that *could* happen with iMessage too I suppose--I just think it has too much of a hold over iUsers to fall into that trap.  People left BlackBerry devices becaue they didn't keep up with the times until it was too late, and since they were also too late opening BBM to Android & iOS, the people that left BB devices also left BBM and just got used to other options.  Somehow I can't see that happening with iMessage even if Apple is a bit late opening it.  Of course, they could also just add RCS support to the native iOS messages app (iMessage), but then they'd be conceding a lot to Google's services.  If they opened iMessage, they'd be controling the service instead, which seems slightly more likely to me (though, still highly unlikely).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I'm using Signal for an end to end encryption with those who also wish to use it.

The nice thing is, I can also use it with other platforms, so a regular SMS and MMS are still available to send a receive to everyone.

m4tth3w
@srlawren Remember when RIM brought BBM to Android?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@m4tth3w wrote:
It's exciting to know that we might be able to side step carrier adaption too.

@m4tth3w agreed, though without end-to-end encryption nor Apple's buy-in to add it to iMessage (with the latter probably being the larger issue, sadly), I'm worried this will fall flat like so many other previous Google messaging service attempts.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that at least half of my friend that use iPhones refused to use any other messaging apps (you know, WhatsApp, FB Messenger, etc.), and the other half only check them periodically and are really slow at responding.  I'm digressing a bit here but I think the bottom line is the very sad reality that in order for any messaging service to become truly ubiquitous, it has to be ubiquitous on both platforms, not just on Android.  Sadly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  as much as I'm not personally a fan of Apple stuff, I firmly believe that if they opened iMessage up to Android, it would become the ubiquitous messaging platform very quickly.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

m4tth3w
It's exciting to know that we might be able to side step carrier adaption too.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@greifr wrote:

Google is moving forward with RCS (Rich Communication Service) despite carriers being very slow to go along. In Canada both Rogers and Bell have it and Freedom recently announced they will soon have it. What about Telus?

If Telus gets it, not sure if Public will. No calls on LTE yet at Public, so I wouldn't hold breath.

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Telus has previously said that its "in the works" but has given no estimate on when it would be released.

@geopublic wrote:

@greifr wrote:

@greifr  If Telus doesn't support it not an issue since Google has announced that it will support it internally if the carrier doesn't so not a big deal IMHO.

Lol, read carefully.

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-offering-rcs-messaging-without-carrier-middle-what-does-mean-m...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It's anyone's guess.  To be honest Telus is the worst for adopting new technology and then filtering it down their food chain is even worse.  It would not surprise me if Public Mobile never gets it.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@greifr wrote:

@greifr  If Telus doesn't support it not an issue since Google has announced that it will support it internally if the carrier doesn't so not a big deal IMHO.

Need Help? Let's chat.