cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What sort of plans do you wish to see?

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Plans today are fine, but clearly not enough.

If PM had family plans, or Plans for for elementary and high school kids, where parents have tools to choose what #'s their kids can call, what #'s they can't, to texting, or giving parents option to disable photo text to avoid severe hassles, even having option as to what time they can use phone, or not able to use phone, can really put parents in charge, and teach the youngsters about responsibility?

Or having Business plans? I believe PM should have a full range of services, so that clients of all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, can have a Public plan that best fits their public lifestyle, or preferences.

Even offering Data sticks for those who want data for their Laptops, more options and plans available to choose from, PPL have lots of options and will perhaps take advantage of PM's one stop shop. 

8 REPLIES 8

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you're going to modify the existing brands you're not going to modify or remove the ones with the most users.

TELUS and Koodo are already used for different reasons, TELUS is able to do business accounts, corporate accounts, and mobile internet. Additionally they do the pricing differently Koodo allows you to pay more upfront for the phones on their tab system.

If TELUS had 10 carriers, it probably would be too much, but I wouldn't recommend they fold the ones with the most users, they'd fold the ones with the least, so realisitcally if they're going to close one of their branches it would likely be Public Mobile, and I wouldn't want to see that happen either as I'm currently using Public Mobile and I'm happy with having the lower price plan options.

They can always modify the carrier's network abilities, Koodo could do that, even PM if they wanted to. Having too many co. is like overlapping. if Telus had 10 Carriers under their wing for example, would you think that's a bit much? too much overlapping can be very costly, and perhaps unproductive. Just my ability to navigate all this business concept

Griff

I doubt that TELUS would fold TELUS Mobility...
From a business perspective what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

Of the roughly 7.8 million subscribers on TELUS mobile services most of those are from TELUS. Roughly 250,000 are from Public Mobile. They're not going to fold their biggest asset to focus on their MVNO and their value brand. Why start offering all the services they offer at TELUS at Public Mobile just to close TELUS mobility? Realistically it would be easier to close Public Mobile like Bell Mobility did with Solo Mobile and then have those users transition towards Koodo. I don't want to see TELUS close, I like having my TELUS line, and what would they do with all the pre-exising clients that are on TELUS services not offered through Koodo such as Business and mobile internet.

Also, Clearnet has not been existence for quite a long time now.

Maybe that needs to change. Telus should perhaps fold Telus Mobility, and have just 2 Carriers, otherwise they're competing with themselves too much. Telus, Koodo, PC Mobile, Clearnet, Now PM, too many. Koo for up, PM for Low-medium, that's as simple as a flip cell phone

Griff

I don't think that a carrier has the power to do what you're describing in terms of parental control, as far as I know no carrier offers such a thing.

The thing is Public Mobile is now like an extension of TELUS. If they start offering all the same services as Telus/Koodo then it becomes pointless to have the other sub-brands. Each branch exists to fill a different customer base. Business clients are pointed more towards the TELUS brand over Koodo or Public.

Data sticks are definitely a good idea, but like I was saying they should be able to work on the data only plan. so $30 a month for 1GB or $60 a month for 4GB. 

PM doesn't have the Datastick services currently. That's why I think they should. Plus Family and Business plans can open the door to new markets to tap in. Prepaid, and nicely priced.

True. But, offering a broader range beyond the ones currently listed can pull in a variety of ppl. Companies need to have variety, otherwise more generic. Also, If parents get phones for their kids, There's nothing in place to give parents the tools to control what their kids do with a phone. And If ppl want to have data for their laptops, other than tethering, there's really no other way. Datasticks can open the bridge to opportunities too. Carriers should really have plenty of nifty things, so that ppl can say, That was easy

Griff

@makkahn28 

I actually don't have an issue with the plans the way they are, they've gone up from what they used to be but in comparison to the competition or going on prepaid it's a great value.

Part of what you're describing goes more on the actual device than the service provider. There are some apps for android and OS for controlling what children can access on their device

I think part of the reason that Public doesn't offer family plans is that TELUS is currently set-up on share/family plans called Your Choice. In terms of business plans I think a lot of business are looking to ge devices subsidized for their employees so they go with the brands with retail presence, such as TELUS. A business could alternatively use Public if they are buying devices outright for their employees and then having them all responsible for paying their own bill - especially if they're looking at plans such as the Unlimited Provincial Wide talk and text for $35 or Unlimited Can Wide Talk and Text for $40. 

I believe that most data sticks come unlocked, or if someone had a data stick that was previously being used through TELUS that they would be able to use it with the data only plans through Public.

Need Help? Let's chat.