cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What port protection does PM have?

manolid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Been hearing horror stories lately about people having their phone numbers stolen which are then used to gain access to 2fa accounts and having bank accounts drained of savings, and identities stolen.

What does PM do to prevent this? I know Telus and Koodo send an SMS confirmation message anytime a port request is made. Does PM do this as well?

Been with PM a few years now, but no port protection is a deal breaker for me. Cant risk it to save a few bucks a month.

Any info is appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12

TaxiDave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A bit late, but according to the info on this page PM will send you an SMS msg. You must reply yes or no within 90 minutes or the request is cancelled. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

manolid

Thanks all.

@manolid wrote:

@Dunkman wrote: 

When you ported over to Public mobile, did your original phone carrier call to confirm the port request?  Probably not.  

No they didnt. My understanding is carriers have said they have or are implementing some basic security to prevent number theft. Also, when I ported over to PM I wasnt aware that theft of numbers via porting was taking place.

@manolid 

I think that the Telecom companies are still in the process of doing something.  Public mobile is part of Telus umbrella.  Hopefully, once Telus figures something out, Public mobile will follow afterwards.  

For now, keep a "strong" password for your PM self service acount.  

manolid

@Dunkman wrote: 

When you ported over to Public mobile, did your original phone carrier call to confirm the port request?  Probably not.  

No they didnt. My understanding is carriers have said they have or are implementing some basic security to prevent number theft. Also, when I ported over to PM I wasnt aware that theft of numbers via porting was taking place.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@manolid wrote:

I mean if someone gets your account info and then calls Bell for example and asks them to port your number to a new SIM. At which point PM would contact you to confirm it is in fact you requesting the port.

they don''t unless there is an error in the porting info ie name or account number or pin or imei.

If the port is successful then there is no contact the port completes and the old sim stops working.  

@manolid 

@manolid wrote:

I mean if someone gets your account info and then calls Bell for example and asks them to port your number to a new SIM. At which point PM would contact you to confirm it is in fact you requesting the port.

From my understanding, at the present time, most Canadian telecom companies won't call the customer if the correct information is sent for the port request.  For most ports, just need account holder name, account phone number and account  number.  

manolid

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have ported my phone number from Koodo and I didn't received a text or email before accepting or starting the number porting. Security alerts would be great, but before starting number porting, your carrier requests your old carrier's account number, security/account PIN and IMEI, so I personaly don't worry too much about it. I think stealing mobile numbers via number porting is not an easy process.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sadly i wouldn't expect much from any of the providers until it effects thier bottom line. All you can do is secure your accounts the best way you can on your own, and try not to provide personal info where it's sketchy and or insecure.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@manolid  as mentioned porting requres 3 items

1) tel number to be ported

2) account holder name exatly

3) one of account number, account pin or imei

you could do two things:  use a unique emial or emial address as your selfserve account username  that way no one with your emial can hack your account using your usual email.  in gmail na.me@gmail,com and name+123@gmail.com all go to name@gmail.com

change the name on your account or add a spelling mistake.  this way if they try to port the number using your name it will fail.   ie Geoorge instead of George

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you talking about a warning system in case your phone is stolen etc. And someone tries to port your number? 

@manolid wrote:

Been hearing horror stories lately about people having their phone numbers stolen which are then used to gain access to 2fa accounts and having bank accounts drained of savings, and identities stolen.

What does PM do to prevent this? I know Telus and Koodo send an SMS confirmation message anytime a port request is made. Does PM do this as well?

Been with PM a few years now, but no port protection is a deal breaker for me. Cant risk it to save a few bucks a month.

Any info is appreciated.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@manolid Personally, I have ported numbers in from Bell, Telus, Koodo, Rogers and none of these services sent a text before allowing the port. Any texts sent after the port would go to the new sim, so I don't think cell providers have gotten to this security level yet.

For now, protect your account password, your account number, pin, and imei, without these a port is much more difficult if not impossible.

If someone does have two-step porting, let us know. You may not be alone in being willing to pay more for more security.

Need Help? Let's chat.