cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the value in enabling the developer option on your Android phone?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

I asked this question in this Post here  , and  I still haven't received an answer. So I'm posting it here. Given thats its an option that disappears when not enabled, and when enabled seems to complicate matters further with your phone. Why enable it? What is the advantage of doing it? Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma wrote:

Given thats its an option that disappears when not enabled, and when enabled seems to complicate matters further with your phone. Why enable it? What is the advantage of doing it?

I usually go into the developer options to speed up or disable the window and screen transition animations. My current settings:

- Window animation scale: .5x

- Transition animation scale: Animation off

Makes for faster switching between applications. (Double tap of icon)

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gblackma wrote:

Follow up question. How does the developer option  help you with your PM service? Thanks in advance.

It does not help improve the PM services or anything.

It just gives you control of your phone with more options. Cell phone companies hide the developer mode because of some of the settings can break your phone if you do not know what you are doing. They also hide these settings because they are not really important to an average phone user.

Cheers

@gblackma wrote:

Thanks @geopublic . So to clarify, the main reason you would turn this on is to facilitate file transfers between your computer and android cellphone?

@geopublic wrote:

The primary reason is it gives you the ability to turn USB Debugging on and use ADB. 

@gblackma 

USB Debugging allows an Android device to communicate with a computer running the Android SDK to use advanced operations.

When you develop Android apps, you have to install the Android Software Developer Kit (SDK) on your computer. An SDK gives developers the tools they need to create apps for a certain platform. Without USB Debugging, you can’t send any advanced commands to your phone via a USB cable. Thus, developers need to enable USB debugging so they can push apps to their devices to test and interact with.

Non-developers commonly enable USB debugging to root their phones. Rooting varies by device, but most methods involve some program that you run from your desktop. Once you enable USB debugging and connect your phone, you can use a tool to send the root instructions to your device without even touching it. Installing a custom ROM involves a similar process.

You also need USB Debugging turned on to use Android Debug Bridge (ADB) commands. Using these, you can install APK files stored on your PC onto your phone, move files back and forth, and view device logs for debugging errors. ADB commands and Fastboot can also save your bricked device even when you can’t turn it on normally.

Hope this helps!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I don't think it does.

Follow up question. How does the developer option  help you with your PM service? Thanks in advance.

Thanks @geopublic . So to clarify, the main reason you would turn this on is to facilitate file transfers between your computer and android cellphone?

@geopublic wrote:

The primary reason is it gives you the ability to turn USB Debugging on and use ADB. 

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gblackma 

@gblackma wrote:

I asked this question in this Post here  , and  I still haven't received an answer. So I'm posting it here. Given thats its an option that disappears when not enabled, and when enabled seems to complicate matters further with your phone. Why enable it? What is the advantage of doing it? Thanks in advance.

I answered the question at the old post but I guess il post it here as well Smiley Happy

Well, it is recommended that we don't use "developer options unless we have to.

In my old phone, I had to enable developer options because I wanted to see the "battery percentage". They give us access for those small things but only a handful of people use them.

Benefits of Developer Options

Stay Awake: Enabling this option will keep your phone’s screen awake anytime and every time it is plugged in. This feature is essentially helpful for developer.

USB Debugging: This feature allows your Android device to communicate with your computer, via USB. You can also revoke USB debugging authorizations: When you use a computer to debug over USB for the first time, you have to authorize it and set up a keypair.

Select mock location app: This option will allow you to set location information for any specified app. It is helpful for you if you’re developing an app that requires location information.

Show CPU Usage: You can view CPU information on your device’s screen, at all times.

Don’t keep activities: This feature closes every application so soon as you leave its main view. So you should rather be careful while using this feature.

and the list goes on....

Hope this helps

Cheers

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The answer has already been provided.  GiYF. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

would this not be  a better question for an android forum not a cellphone support forum?

I did a google search and this was the first link that showed up:

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/15-reasons-unlock-developer-options-your-android-0164319/

there are many more links that turn up by searching the net. 

Need Help? Let's chat.