cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is RSS?

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am brand new and was wanting to have a bit of a reminder to log in and see what is going on in the forum. I see there is an option for an RSS feed - what is that?

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

i dont like rss at all, i find it ridiculous. Rss is for people who want bots feeding them information then they complain they are getting fake news when something goes wrong, like what did u expect lol

@slash407 huh?  what. are. you. talking. about????  This makes zero sense.  Give me examples of how RSS is for bots to feed you fake news.  Please.  I'll wait here.

RSS is a service that lets you browse updates from multiple sources in a single place.  That's it.  I can see the latest articles from Android Central, Android Authority, Mobile Syrup, Windows Central, Sound Guys, TV Line (for TV news chatter), Blabbermouth (metal and hard rock news and reviews), Wirecutter (product smackdowns), and many other sources all in the one app.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

It really depends on the source of the feed.  User beware of course, for me, I enjoyed that podcast for entertainment, geeky stuff, the odd piece of original music, and information from across the pond in a different manner from the tried and true BBC.

RSS is great and easy to setup, to get information you choose to cuvscrine too.

srlawren

@RobertQc wrote:

@ladybearbc  Read this (great guide by @srlawren)if you have any questions after let us know 🙂

Also check this out by @pm-smayer97 

Thanks for the tag, @RobertQc!

@ladybearbc unless you think you might have other uses for RSS (I use it to keep up on a ton of blog and tech news sites personally, but that's not for everyone!), you might be better off setting up email notifications using the "also check this" link noted above, courtesy of @pm-smayer97.  It's probably the simplest approach for most people.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

My favourite podcast was the Daily Source Code by former MTV Video Jockey Adam Curry.  He called RSS Really Simple Syndication, and that's what I've been calling it for years.

@stonechucker @LovesToPM yes, RSS in this case is typically referred to as Really Simple Syndication.

@LovesToPM wrote:

Rich Site Summary basically allows you to track updates to a website.

More info here:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Brief-Guide-How-to-subscribe-to-a-communi...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

@LovesToPM, I used to be big into listening to various podcasts, and RSS was used for pulling those onto my iPod years ago.

My favourite podcast was the Daily Source Code by former MTV Video Jockey Adam Curry.  He called RSS Really Simple Syndication, and that's what I've been calling it for years.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc wrote:

I am brand new and was wanting to have a bit of a reminder to log in and see what is going on in the forum. I see there is an option for an RSS feed - what is that?

@ladybearbc  Read this (great guide by @srlawren)if you have any questions after let us know 🙂

Also check this out by @pm-smayer97 

Need Help? Let's chat.