cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to incoming text messages that are not accessed or read for a week? i.e., phone is off

Sawchux
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I went on vacation in the U.S. for ten days and when I returned I had a couple text messages dated the same day, but I should have had many more according to friends who said they sent me several while I was away.

Are incoming text messages deleted by Public Mobile after a certian period of time if not accessed by your device?!!

17 REPLIES 17

@TinamarieYou should be able to get it once you turn on your phone, if your phone was off.

Tinamarie

I just need a few text messages from yesterday

is this possible to retrieve if my iCloud wasn’t on?

Tinamarie

I just need a few text messages from yesterday

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Charanth182 @bilal @Cyber

If you believe that extending the days that SMS are stored would be a good fit for Public Mobile, please add it to the Public lab. 

Cheers!

Charanth182
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@bilal

Is it that much extra resources? I'm not an expert on it but could it just be a single line of code? "If message(age) > X then delete message" that could easily have been changed for one service to another? In that case it would be an hour or less for a programmer to change and the ROI would be good as they can save on server space.

bilal
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Interesting that Telus would spend extra resources to differentiate between post-paid and pre-paid for SMS deliveries. It doesn't make ROI sense.

@Caroline_B,

Thanks for clarifying.

On a postpaid service from Bell, Rogers and Telus, the delay is much longer.

Caroline_B
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello All !

We received a confirmation from our Network Engineer, here's the answer:

Messages are stored for a period of 5 days. If the message is not delivered within 5 days (no service, device off, airplane mode), the message is purged.

Hope this helps and clarify ! 🙂

Have a great Day

Caroline

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi Cyber,

Did you receive a reply from PM? If so, what was it?

@Martin,

With Telus, I did 2 weeks before taking my SMS. I assume that Public Mobile (who is Telus) as the same delay.

On Rogers, I did 3 weeks and received my SMS once my SIM card inserted in my phone.

I don't think that five days is the real thing.

Only a network engineer would be able to give the real answer to that question.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi Cyber,

I received a reply from my PM contact, who wishes to remain nameless due to privacy concerns.

PM deletes undelivered SMS messages after 5 days.

FYI.

@Martin,

I don't know the exact number of week because I'm still waiting the answer from Public Mobile.

From my own tests, I can say that they are saved in the clouds for 2-3 weeks or more.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Cyber,

If you regard my reply as wrong, please specify the exact number of days that non-delivered SMS messages are kept by PM before being deleted.

@Martin,

SMS are kept more than 4 days in the clouds.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

You're welcome!

Sawchux

Ok good to know - thanks!!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Unfortunately, non-delivered SMS are deleted by PM after 4 calendar days.
Need Help? Let's chat.