cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think of Telus's and Koodo's new anti-spam initiative?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/05/17/telus-koodo-launch-call-control-feature-combat-spam-calls/

Who knows, it may trickle down here. Personally I think it's overkill, but it may be beneficial to others. Stay safe. 

21 REPLIES 21

Atlantis7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's a nice idea and any blocking from spam calls is always welcome as there are a lot of these. I find this more effective against international calls. But local calls still go through because of different numbers calling each time... Nonetheless all in all, it is most welcome.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Updated: Sorry for off topic too far.  I deleted my post.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@fdrcamb519 , I think it's fair game to keep it in the main forum.  Just be mindful that this thread is discussion rather than help.  So be frugal with the bravos.  

@will13am 

I see !!!!!!!!

@fdrcamb519 , I think it's fair game to keep it in the main forum.  Just be mindful that this thread is discussion rather than help.  So be frugal with the bravos.  

fdrcamb519

@will13am 

is this a lounge discussion????

@brettster99 well I am older than you. lol

It was my google play account had been compromised. 

@fdrcamb519 it reminds me of the bank 2 step verification process. With the added step of proving that you aren't a robot. If you have it with TD bank you know what I'm talking about.  Total overkill. My problem with this is twofold. It only blocks 25 numbers either way. And it's just my luck that the really important call will be the one that doesn't get through. Stay safe. 😨

brettster99

@popping 

3K? Wow and @Naepalm WHAT 8K I know that’s not a lot in terms of a credit card limit but even my highest is 5K with a mix of 3 CCs total of 10K so that would be 80% of my utilization 

fdrcamb519

@gblackma 

Why do you think its overkill? Security I think.😀

popping

@Naepalm wrote:

@popping wow hope they were able to refund you that! crazy. I had my cc used in california once for 8k. 

My bank fraud holds the fund until they can confirm the charge before releasing fund to merchant.  No harm was done on my account and my bank disable my debit card right away.  I have to go to my bank tomorrow to get a new bank debit card.

@popping wow hope they were able to refund you that! crazy. I had my cc used in california once for 8k. 

popping

This call control may be a problem blocking the calls from my banks which do not use the same phone number to call their customer. I seldom use my bank debit card to pay for anything.  Last Friday, I went to renewal my driver licence.  The registry store charge convenience fee for using credit card.  So I use my bank debit card.  Saturday morning, my bank fraud department called me about couple of transactions over $3k was using my debit card.  I will not know the phone numbers used by my bank.

Buy a Pixel or a phone that supports Google dialer it has the best built-in spam protection by far.

brettster99

@Naepalm 

It stops telemarketing calls coming from Canadian companies. As they are under jurisdiction and can be sued or legal action taken. But because its on a list people from other countrys find that out and know your # and keep calling with impunity  

@will13am yeah I think you are right, they have the no call list, which later you find out al that means they call you more LOL

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is a whack a mole thing.  The spam will keep coming.  They will figure out a new way.  

brettster99

@Naepalm 

Same here. The only way I can think of it not getting raided is if you never give your phone number out to anyone. But at that point what's the point and also people can still find your # it would just be more difficult 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma I really like the idea. I don't think pressing the number would be all that difficult. Most of my calls I need to press 1 for English anyway lol. 

The only problem I would have with it is that inevitably it will glitch and people will not be able to get through at all.  Thats is just pessimistic me talking though.

Anything to make the customer experience better is good for me. In the last couple of years, I almost never answer my phone now because I get raided with spam calls constantly. I block the numbers constantly but still more come. It's the tieless battle if being a mobile user lol.

BearFBI

@gblackma Thats interesting. I wonder if Public will eventually get it. We might not as they could leave it for Koodo and Telus because their more "High end"

brettster99

@gblackma 

In my opinion with the number of robocalls I get this would be a potential help to reduce that number. It might not get rid of the problem entirely but it would be beneficial for me at least

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma That is very great! Help people to get less spam calls. I guess, it will be available to turn on through self-service account in the future as Koodo does now. 

Need Help? Let's chat.