cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weighted bravos - is this actually a thing?

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you go to the help section up by your profile, it says that bravos are weighted based on who gives them. So if someone with more experience gives one it's worth more. Is this actually true?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/help/faqpage

15 REPLIES 15

@Tiprix wrote:

@kelvarnsen I've only tracked my Bravos and rewards for last month, but I got a bit of insight.  The leaderboard basically tells you who's on the top and who will be receiving the highest rewards.  Their count Bravos is 1:1 as identified on the leaderboard and your profile (if you know otherwise, please let me know). However, the total number of people on the leaderboard might not be used to determine % of people who will be getting rewards.  As there are two categories, members and guests, only members can get rewards.  Thus the total number of members is used in the count. Which might explain how the % this month was only based on a third of the number of participants.  While in March, because of the promos I'm speculating a lot of the guests converted to members and was probably the reason for the high % of rewards given out.

The bravo leaderboard is pretty good indication, but I can tell you that it's not an absolute list of who will get the rewards at each level.  As you said, we do not know how many community badges at each level will be awarded.  I also do know that it is very possible for members further down in the bravo leaderboard to receive a higher than expect reward than you'd expect because of other factors.  Bravos are not the only thing involved in the calculations.

@Tiprix wrote:

@kelvarnsen I've only tracked my Bravos and rewards for last month, but I got a bit of insight.  The leaderboard basically tells you who's on the top and who will be receiving the highest rewards.  Their count Bravos is 1:1 as identified on the leaderboard and your profile (if you know otherwise, please let me know). However, the total number of people on the leaderboard might not be used to determine % of people who will be getting rewards.  As there are two categories, members and guests, only members can get rewards.  Thus the total number of members is used in the count. Which might explain how the % this month was only based on a third of the number of participants.  While in March, because of the promos I'm speculating a lot of the guests converted to members and was probably the reason for the high % of rewards given out.

I highly suspect it is something along those lines. I have looked at some of the statistics that are avaialble on this platform, and anything else seems too convoluted for anyone, including PM to implement. Of course, there are likely additional info to which PM has access that we do not see and there is still some nuanced variation they may be applying, but I doubt it strays too far from this.

Tiprix

kelvarnsen

@srlawren wrote:

EDIT: if you look at that help/FAQ page (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/help/faqpage), it references other feature PM doesn't use either, like Facebook integration (ability to sign into the community using your Facebook account).  I'm now more convinced than ever that this is a generic help file that PM hasn't bothered to customize to match what they are offering in the community.  It's kind of sad that this has gone to production this way.  @Alan_K you guys may want to revise the content in the FAQ page to take out features not enabled here, customize the vernacular (like bravo instead of kudo), etc.

That explanation makes sense. Although it does come across as a little amateurish (especially for a company as big as Telus). Obviously it as no affect on service, but it is like spelling mistakes on a resume and it makes you wonder what else is being skipped over.

@SD08 wrote:

Goodness...if bravos were weighted by the bravo-giver's tenure and rank, a bravo from @Luddite would probably crash through the floor and collaterally bravo several other posts before it settled.  And nevermind the weight of a solution...  Smiley Surprised

Thanks for the compliment. Fortunately I´m used to carrying a heavy load:

titan-atlas1.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@SD08 wrote:

Goodness...if bravos were weighted by the bravo-giver's tenure and rank, a bravo from @Luddite would probably crash through the floor and collaterally bravo several other posts before it settled.  And nevermind the weight of a solution...  Smiley Surprised

I used to think that bravos were everything, but I'm not so sure any more.  I've started thinking that pure post count might be far more important in the calculations.  Unfotunately, that also means that someone could post random messages and earn rewards. The good news happens to be that if people are going to go through the effort of posting messages, the vast majority of members will actually try to help.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

popping

When I ask SIMon the question "bravos weight" by clicking the round button with a ? at the bottom right hand side of this forum screen, I got the following funny answer.

"Finally a question that's not about phones or service! Even I get a little tired of answering those all the time."
"Oh, my boss is coming over, time to get back to answering real questions."

srlawren

Public Mobile operates this community using a 3rd party community platform called Lithium (and also hosts it on Ltihium's servers).  Lithium is used by many different communities on the internet and has a large set of features, which individual cliients can enable or disable or otherwise configure to their liking.  What Lithium calls Kudos out of the box, PM has rebranded to Bravos (most likely to avoid confusion with their sister brand Koodo, would be my guess).  

I would place a semi-educated wager on this being a Lithium feature that Public Mobile doesn't make use of (has not configured/enabled, or has just set all weightings to 1) but has not hidden/removed in the help documentation accordingly.  I think this is not something in use here at all.

Of course, the other possibility is that it could be something PM is planning to introduce shortly and are testing out and accidently made public on their live site.  We have definitely see them do stranger things in the past.  I'm still betting on the other possibility though.

EDIT: if you look at that help/FAQ page (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/help/faqpage), it references other feature PM doesn't use either, like Facebook integration (ability to sign into the community using your Facebook account).  I'm now more convinced than ever that this is a generic help file that PM hasn't bothered to customize to match what they are offering in the community.  It's kind of sad that this has gone to production this way.  @Alan_K you guys may want to revise the content in the FAQ page to take out features not enabled here, customize the vernacular (like bravo instead of kudo), etc.

EDIT: apparently I forgot how to pluralize words ending in "y"!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@duffer900 wrote:

@ooakosiryan wrote:

@kelvarnsen wrote:

If you go to the help section up by your profile, it says that bravos are weighted based on who gives them. So if someone with more experience gives one it's worth more. Is this actually true?

Clicked on the link and couldn't find it. Where does it say the bravos are weighted? Can you post a screenshot or copy and paste a direct quote?

This perhaps

Yeah I found it down there. Wow. That's buried. Interesting find. Never heard of it. But I've only been here a year. I'm not sure it's true. Also that you click on giving a Bravo. Then peculiarly it says Kudos on the upper right side of the post in a listing view.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ooakosiryan wrote:

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Clicked on the link and couldn't find it. Where does it say the bravos are weighted? Can you post a screenshot or copy and paste a direct quote?

This perhaps

Screenshot_20190509-190847_Chrome.jpg

3mom
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The bravos are a running tally by how many times each user gives a bravo. If a particular user happens to be on PM community more often and helping, then they will get the rewards more often. 

ooakosiryan

@kelvarnsen wrote:

popping

@kelvarnsen wrote:

The bravos count is straightly a running total of your bravos.  It does not depends on who gives you the brovos.

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Where does it say that?  I don't know anything about bravos from some people being more important than others. It's not even a certainty how much bravos count when calculating rewards. Public Mobile has never stated exactly how Community rewards are calculated.

Need Help? Let's chat.