cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: 1-888-488-4912 is pretending to be from Public Mobile Customer Support

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My mother called me at work today in a panic due to someone claiming to be from Public Mobile calling her that her account had been hijacked. Not being tech savvy enough to help fix the problem she called me (accidentally disconnecting the scammer call due to not pressing the correct button for hold). The number in her log is 888-488-4912

A quick Google search reveals it is a common spammer number. Just figured I would put the FYI out that if you know anyone that is less tech savvy using Public Mobile you might want to warn them of the scam or help them just block that number.

Now if that truly is Public Mobile (I know it isn't!) um... sorry that I blocked you, call me instead and we can deal with it!

10 REPLIES 10

Dankaroo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Lieux wrote:

@Dankaroo I have not this section on my screen...I can write a private message with the envelopp up right but not like you said...why???

You don't see "Posts I Bravoed" when viewing anyone's profile? 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello Psygineer,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and letting us know about this.

We do not provide customer service through call centers anymore as may know, so that phone number and person that's calling you definitely is not one of us, not from Public Mobile.

We searched for the number in our records and it doesn't exist.

Our recommendation would be to block the calls coming from that number, remember you can do that from your contacts menu on your phone.

We hope this information helps you.

Kind Regards,

Rod,
Public Mobile Moderator Team.

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yeah what the heck can they gain with Public Mobile? I've been through a fraud incident recently with Rogers where the scammers changed my plans into one where they could buy IPhone X and i'm not even sure how they did it. After that, I had to deal with their horriable customer support to stop the tranactions from going through. 

I wonder what they were up to.  i wonder if they were trying to steal passwords or to convince people to give out credit card numbers. Very shady!

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

She has my Lumia 650. Best it can do is block, doesn't have a report option.

@RobertQc wrote:

@Psygineer  Thanks for letting us know, if you have the option in your caller id / andriod dialer, also report the number as spam when you block it, so when it calls me it will let me know its been a reported number. I only have the option to report a number if it called me other wise I would report it now

Screenshot_Phone_20190226-183528.jpg

@Dankaroo I have not this section on my screen...I can write a private message with the envelopp up right but not like you said...why???

Dankaroo

@Lieux wrote:

@Dankaroo excuse-me but I don't see ...

The preferred method is to private message them by visiting their community page and scrolling down to the Contact Me section.

Right below the Posts I Bravoed section is a Contact Me section with a button for sending private messages..

@Dankaroo excuse-me but I don't see ...

The preferred method is to private message them by visiting their community page and scrolling down to the Contact Me section.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Psygineer wrote:

My mother called me at work today in a panic due to someone claiming to be from Public Mobile calling her that her account had been hijacked. Not being tech savvy enough to help fix the problem she called me (accidentally disconnecting the scammer call due to not pressing the correct button for hold). The number in her log is 888-488-4912

A quick Google search reveals it is a common spammer number. Just figured I would put the FYI out that if you know anyone that is less tech savvy using Public Mobile you might want to warn them of the scam or help them just block that number.

Now if that truly is Public Mobile (I know it isn't!) um... sorry that I blocked you, call me instead and we can deal with it!

@Psygineer  Thanks for letting us know, if you have the option in your caller id / andriod dialer, also report the number as spam when you block it, so when it calls me it will let me know its been a reported number. I only have the option to report a number if it called me other wise I would report it now

Screenshot_Phone_20190226-183528.jpg

Dankaroo

@Psygineer wrote:

If anyone else gets one of these calls please write down what the phone rep says. If they do  falsely claim affiliation with PM then notify @CS_Agent  immediately.

The preferred method is to private message them by visiting their community page and scrolling down to the Contact Me section. Do this only once per customer, if a different number tries the same thing it's a number probably utilized by the same false company. Don't forget to include the number that called you. Hopefully PM has a good legal team.

Need Help? Let's chat.