cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to change number to one I used in the past

Michael_C
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to change my number to one I used to use with Rogers from a year ago.  I'd cancelled my account with them before an extended trip abroad since they wanted so much money just to hold the number for me (rip-off IMO).  When I returned a couple of months ago, I decided to use Public Mobile instead of returning to my old carrier and paying my old rate.

I have at least one web account that still has registered the old number and at least one wants to send a SMS to that number to verify my login now. Since I can't get those messages any longer, I'm locked out of the account.  Hence, the need to change my number.

The 'change number' screen provides just 5 numbers to pick from and I'm not going to have any luck with that.  The 'transfer' option provides a field to enter the number but it fails, I assume because it's not currently in use prior to the 'transfer' to this carrier. 

I could go back to the old carrier and request the old number (I assume) but would prefer stay with Public Mobile.  Barring a solution, I guess I'll have to do that.

Would anyone have experience with getting assigned a specific number thats not currently in use, or know how I could arrange it with someone directly at Public Mobile?

2 REPLIES 2

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Michael_C  You can't port in a cancelled number. Public can't get a number from another carrier if it's deactivated. Only Rogers can get back a Rogers number. We can't help here. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@Michael_C If the original carrier was Rogers, you'd have to call them to get the number. If they've given it to someone else, you'll be out of luck. 

If they haven't you can ask them for it. You'll likely have to activate on their minimum account and then eventually port it out to PM. That being said, if someone already has it, you can't get the number, so you can't have it anywhere.

Of course it's always your choice where you get your service from in this case.

Need Help? Let's chat.