cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart refusing to sell sim cards without a plan

MikeRaff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried to walk into my local walmart store last week to get a sim for a friend and I was turned away. They told me that they can't sell a sim without a plan as they "don't make any money".

I just ordered a sim through PM, but I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done to prevent other people from having the same issue.

10 REPLIES 10

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Walmart is awful. Period. 

GibsonSGJ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The Halifax Bayer's Lake walmart had no issues selling me a sim either

bilal684
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Walmart is really affecting PM's reputation. I went with my brother to get a sim card from there. The sim was non usable, not detected by any phone yet I was able to activate a PM plan on it. They refused to exchanged it at first but after a good 30 minute debate, they gave decided to exchange it. Worst experience ever.

CherylKirby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I totally agree with you! I believe its a Walmart issue affecting Public Mobile's reputation and the staff need to be called out and re-trained!  I purchased my card from Walmart and the associate ensured my number was ported and even had to do some troubleshooting with Public Mobile. This should reflect poorly on Walmart not Public!

David01
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I joined PM in February. They pulled out a sim card and sold it to me, no questions asked. Did the activation myself. I'm surprised I didn't have an issue, as I would think this would be a walmart policy, if that happened to you. That's unfortunate. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MikeRaff, personally I am tired of hearing about this from certain Walmart locations.  Please report this to the moderator team so that they can follow up and provide some attitude adjustments at that particular location. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Yeah...that is horse**bleep**...so frustrating.

Tfirx35

While I have seen this pop up in the forums quite a bit my local WalMart did not give me any trouble. 

If anyone in Halifax area runs into this the WalMart in Cole Habour is your friend 🙂

galaxy8

I guess it's up to Walmart to sell sim with or without plan. To avoid this issue I went to WOW Mobile and got the SIM from them with no hassle whatsoever. If you are in the west you can London Drug as well

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Unfortunately, this situation is often mentioned.  I guess that the Walmart rep does not make any commission from the deal.  Only thing that can be done is publically mention which exact Walmart and the moderators will make note.  Not sure whether that it will change anything immediately.  The official policy is that Walmart should sell to you with or without activation, but in reality, this does not happen in real life sometimes....

Need Help? Let's chat.