cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI Calling

buiya
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I know that Public doesn't currently offer wifi calling, but trying to understand why?  In previous posts, some say because this is isn't top tier provider.  Trying to understand why that matters?  Wouldn't it be beneficial to unload some of congestion on TELUS cell networks?

7 REPLIES 7

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Joelkim wrote:

Topic off, but Lucky mobile offer wifi calling via their app, but I'd use whatsapp and it is much safer. It is just my opinion. you can look up into whatapp and other apps. 

Safer than what? 

It's owned by Facebook, no? I think Signal is probably one of the few truly safe options as it's run by a company that actually respects user privacy.

Joelkim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Topic off, but Lucky mobile offer wifi calling via their app, but I'd use whatsapp and it is much safer. It is just my opinion. you can look up into whatapp and other apps. 

buiya
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks everyone, I'll keep slumming it for now!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@buiya wrote:

Trying to understand why that matters?  Wouldn't it be beneficial to unload some of congestion on TELUS cell networks?

@buiya well, yes.  But, their netowrk isn't that congested.  Essentially this is all about market differentiation between their brands.

PM is operated as a "no frills" budget brand, and that's why it's cheaper than getting a (roughly-)equivalent plan with the Telus parent brand.  If they offered the same features here for less, few would want to spend more on the Telus-branded service, and their ARPU would go down.  

If you want the "fancy" stuff like VoWiFi and VoLTE (and eSIM, phone-based support, device purchasing, device tabs, etc etc), then you have to pay more for the premium top tier brand. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Triguy wrote:

Here is a previous thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Wifi-Calling/m-p/284984#M33655

You could setup a Fongo account which offer wi-fi calling.

Just keep in mind, OP, that it's a separate app, separate account, and will give you a separate number that won't be the same as your PM number. But it's a great alternative to true WiFi calling, and I believe it now offers unlimited Canada wide calling over WiFi (or data if you happen to be travelling and using a prepaid SIM or you need a backup for your phone number for some reason).

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is a previous thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Wifi-Calling/m-p/284984#M33655

You could setup a Fongo account which offer wi-fi calling.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

I really don't know, but you  can add an app such as textfree @buiya .

@buiya wrote:

I know that Public doesn't currently offer wifi calling, but trying to understand why?  In previous posts, some say because this is isn't top tier provider.  Trying to understand why that matters?  Wouldn't it be beneficial to unload some of congestion on TELUS cell networks?

Need Help? Let's chat.