cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT ABOUT VPNs

bnaugler24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

HELLO:

WHAT ARE THE VPN PROGRAMD FOR AND WHY DOES MY BUDDY THINK I NEED ONE?

12 REPLIES 12

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@geopublic wrote:

@bnaugler24  If you want to protect your privacy then don't connect to public WiFi. Even if you use vpn they still have access to info on your phone 

Totally agree with this post - we are conditioned to paranoia that is induced and taken advantage off by companies after our dollars. — I have read advertisements  that are trying to sell insurance on your insurance .

zork1984

@TheOldVR wrote:

VPN is a must fo rme on any public WIFI... with that said many common Hot Spots like McDonalds and Timmies are blocking common VPN providers.

Another option to consider is to not use an VPN provider. I have an ASUS router at home, running Merlin firmware, and it supports OpenVPN (as server). Basically it encrypts traffic on public Wifi and routes everything through my home internet. If you are paranoid, you can also then run VPN (client) on the router to a VPN provider. An added bonus for me is that I run an ad Blocker on a raspberry pi and I don't have to waste time loading ads.

karthiks

Simply put, a VPN makes your connection secure. 

It connects your device (could be a tablet, smartphone, or computer) to another computer (referred to as a server), This server could either be in your country or somewhere else. You will, in essence, then browse the internet using that machine's connection therefore making it seem as if you are in another place. While you will physically be where you are - say, at a Starbucks - your online presence will be routed thereby keeping your activity private. 

But do remember that a VPN - while beefing up your online security - isn't as secure as browsing over a Tor network. 

And when you do opt for a VPN, go through the terms of your service provider. Ensure your privacy is protected at any cost. For instance, the said VPN service should not log or save your browsing history. 

Good luck. 

coolvehiclefan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Every public WiFi network in Edmonton block the use of vpns so I just use my data instead of those public wifi networks 

olsonboy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey! Long story short - people use vpn:
1. To bypass geo-restricted content . (e.g. you are in Romania and want to access site which is blocked there, using vpn you connect to other countries server (where it is not blocked), get its I.P. and access that site) .
2. For security. (You become invisible for hacker)
3. Media platforms (access e.g. Netflix USA library) 

I'm using nordvpn for a year for Netflix mostly. It's very easy to use, so you can also try it. It's fine for me. 
https://nordvpn.com/coupon/deal/?coupon=salenord

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

VPN is a must fo rme on any public WIFI... with that said many common Hot Spots like McDonalds and Timmies are blocking common VPN providers.

I stick with Data in those cases..... and yes, everyone should have a VPN account.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bridonca wrote:

I know I am being simple, but if you do not know what a VPN is, and what it is good for, you do not need one.  Ignorance is bliss.  Best I can tell you is to assume you are being spied upon, and modify your behavior accordingly.  Most spying is not sinister, you just need to be aware it is happening.

If you actually do have something to hide, you are going to have to do some research. 

Ignorance is bliss, but that's still no excuse to choose to remain ignorant, I don't agree being watched or spied on should be accepted as normal - that's how people in China are, they just accept it as a fact of life that they have no rights at all, and to just be happy when the government leaves you alone.

Everyone should be aware and protect and support worldwide privace movements, most don't value it till they lose it. The importance or privacy not about actually having something to hide, it's awareness about our Rights and Freedoms, it's about supporting right versus wrong. Spying on others is wrong, doesn't matter who does the spying - government, pigs, parents, jealous boyfriend, etc.  Doesn't matter how spying is justified - national security, greater good, crime prevention, etc.  The fact remains that spying depends upon not asking permission to do something that others may not want done to them, that alone makes spying wrong.

As for VPNs, lots of VPNs are easy to download and easy to use and free, this is because good ethical privacy companies want to help people protect their privacy for free and help society against spying for free - companies like TunnelBear, OpenVPN, ProtonVPN, are all free and easy to use on any device so there really no excuse not to proect your privacy anymore.

That goes for all your phone/email communications too, there's no reason at all anymore to not be safe, just like there's really no reason anyone to not lock your doors or not wear your seatbelt - it's just the smarter thing to do, instead of allowing being a victim of spying to be normalized in our society.  Just like how paying income tax is normalized now and most people don't know that there was a time when income tax didn't exist, evil depends on ignorance to thrive.

Free privacy apps like TutanotaMail, ProtonMail, Signal Private Messenger, OpenVPN, ProtonVPN, TunnelBear, etc - are all free because they are doing their part to support privacy movements worldwide, and we should all do our part too, instead of letting bad companies like facebook and google etc take over the world.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I know I am being simple, but if you do not know what a VPN is, and what it is good for, you do not need one.  Ignorance is bliss.  Best I can tell you is to assume you are being spied upon, and modify your behavior accordingly.  Most spying is not sinister, you just need to be aware it is happening.

If you actually do have something to hide, you are going to have to do some research. 

@bnaugler24  If you want to protect your privacy then don't connect to public WiFi. Even if you use vpn they still have access to info on your phone 

VPN to protect you from malicious activities by the network you connecting through, such as public network.   however vps itself need to be secured itself, otherwise no use. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bnaugler24 wrote:

HELLO:

WHAT ARE THE VPN PROGRAMD FOR AND WHY DOES MY BUDDY THINK I NEED ONE?

When I am connected to free WiFi at airport or StarBucks etc, I use VPN to protect my information from being stolen.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, If you use Public open WIFI without a password, it is not encrypted. So not safe to send private information, like banking , shopping ect. A VPN could protect you. 

Need Help? Let's chat.