cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING! $40 Koodo Offer is actually $55/month for 24 months (Check the fine print)

PMZ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For those of you that are getting the "$40" Koodo switch offer, here is the real cost breakdown:

1) You must purchase a Koodo SIM card for $16.95 ($15+tax)

2) The fine print for the offer details are as follows (see attached image):

"Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer."

"Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply."

According to https://www.koodomobile.com/tab, the Tab is an additional $15/month, and continues for 24 months.

3) This is what comes up even if only a SIM card is purchased, and no phone is selected. From what I can tell, there is no way to avoid the Tab, even if you are bringing your own phone. 

What this means is that your actual monthly bill at Koodo will be $55 ($40/month + $15/month Tab) + tax for 24 months. 

This is actually a 37.5% increase (from the $120/3 month original Public Mobile plan), not to mention the additional $16.95 non-refundable SIM card fee. The $100 credit from Koodo doesn't do much to cover these additional costs, especially considering most people have just recently been charged $120+tax from Public Mobile for the next 3 months which will not get transferred over to the Koodo account.

koodo.png

41 REPLIES 41

PMZ

Thanks so much for sharing that with us, @canucks4life!

Did you have to purchase the SIM card separately? I assume that there was no additional activation fee, or contract term?

Also, the written note seems to indicated that you will get a $25 credit for 4 months, as well as a $100 credit in 2 months time. Maybe you could actually be getting a total of $200 in credits? If so that would make sense to switch now, and not wait the extra month!

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@KMG That is correct $100 additional credit was given by Koodo kiosk rep after I moaned about already having prepaid until Apr 24 Cat Wink

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This document suggests that you are actually going to get $200 in credits.

1. $25 off per month for 4 months

2. $100 bill credit in the next 2 months

Am I right?

canucks4life

@PMZ It was in person Koodo kiosk and she showed me on their back end system after entering that promo code mentioned above...will try scan first page.

For whatever reason unlimited SMS/MMS did not show up on the printout however confirmed after logging into account it is included.

Koodo.jpglarge.jpg

PMZ

There's definitely a lot of discrepancy everywhere... I wonder if perhaps it's just that the Koodo website isn't properly updated and isn't displaying the correct information for this specific offer? (ie. resorting to the default offer conditions).

Perhaps the official Public Mobile @CS_Agent can jump in to clarify?

@canucks4life - did you get this deal in person (as opposed to online)? Any chance you'd kindly be willing to post any photos of your Koodo paperwork (with personal details removed) so we can reference it in case they decide to change the offer on us? Thanks!

I suspect that most of us that were recently billed will likely wait until a later date to make the switch so salvage as much of the prepaid cost as possible. Hopefully by then Koodo doesn't change the fine print on us, but even if they do we would have your proof to reference.

koimr1

@canucks4lifewrote:

I have the signed paperwork in front of me it is definitely $40/month includes 4GB shock free data, unlimited Canada-wide calling and unlimited Intl SMS/MMS...$100 bill credit is $25 a month on first four bills.

This is crazy. The screenshot above says "$100 off your first bill", you have paperwork saying it's $25 off a month for four months, screenshot says you need a tab, moderator here says you don't....

canucks4life

I have the signed paperwork in front of me it is definitely $40/month includes 4GB shock free data, unlimited Canada-wide calling and unlimited Intl SMS/MMS...$100 bill credit is $25 a month on first four bills.

SkyShaymin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I went in to a store and asked about it. The rep there said that it was just the $40, although the store was a telus store that served koodo so she might not know everything.

koimr1

EDIT: Saw that you got your screenshot with the current PM promo code, ignore what I wrote. I have no idea now. This whole thing doesn't seem to be very well-planned. 😞

I am not sure if we are getting a current Koodo plans or if it'll be something different for us. Until more details emerge it's hard to say what is going on. I myself have asked both PM and Koodo about this and haven't gotten responses yet.

I do know that a tab is NOT required for the $100 credit though so what you listed is not the same credit: I just paid for the next three month plan renew 2 weeks ago and what happens if I move to Koodo - I doubt too that you would get both credits.

PMZ

@ShawnC13 - Yup, this is the screenshot after entering the "GOKOODO404GB" promo code...

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@PMZ, that is what you found when entering the code?  Have you talked with a Koodo rep?  I probably will be tomorrow

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.