cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING! $40 Koodo Offer is actually $55/month for 24 months (Check the fine print)

PMZ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For those of you that are getting the "$40" Koodo switch offer, here is the real cost breakdown:

1) You must purchase a Koodo SIM card for $16.95 ($15+tax)

2) The fine print for the offer details are as follows (see attached image):

"Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer."

"Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply."

According to https://www.koodomobile.com/tab, the Tab is an additional $15/month, and continues for 24 months.

3) This is what comes up even if only a SIM card is purchased, and no phone is selected. From what I can tell, there is no way to avoid the Tab, even if you are bringing your own phone. 

What this means is that your actual monthly bill at Koodo will be $55 ($40/month + $15/month Tab) + tax for 24 months. 

This is actually a 37.5% increase (from the $120/3 month original Public Mobile plan), not to mention the additional $16.95 non-refundable SIM card fee. The $100 credit from Koodo doesn't do much to cover these additional costs, especially considering most people have just recently been charged $120+tax from Public Mobile for the next 3 months which will not get transferred over to the Koodo account.

koodo.png

41 REPLIES 41

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@cvsanu wrote:

Yes. Koodo plan is 40 $ , but need to purchase any tab, 15$/Month for 24 months. Total cost 40+15= 55$/Month + tax

I didn’t need to get a tab so was only $40 for me. 

cvsanu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes. Koodo plan is 40 $ , but need to purchase any tab, 15$/Month for 24 months. Total cost 40+15= 55$/Month + tax

Vanterax
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Civic_E Click on the link next to "Conditions Apply".

steelworx

My entire family switched less than a year ago, SIM costs from Koodo, then SIM costs from Public... and this entire hassle. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Meanwhile,

I see this

image.pngI don't see that you HAVE TO take TAB!

steelworx

EVERYONE please file a complaint here!! Public Mobile (Telus) should not be increasing our bills by 25% in some backdoor scam to screw us out of the deal many of us signed up for!!

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ceecee, here's a bit more info from reddit and hopefully it is accurate:

"The salesman assured me it was anytime minutes not evenings and weekend. LTE data not 3G. There is 100 minutes of included call forwarding. $15 SIM card, no signup fees, and I didn't need a tab to get the $100 bonus."

Source: I dropped by a Koodo store

koimr1

@Charanth182wrote:

@jooksingjai77wrote:

EVERYONE PLEASE VISIT:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-public-mobile-kicking-out-120-90-day-12gb-customers-100...

Read the thread summary and file a complaint with the CRTC.  

Lets make the RFD effect do something positive!

Thread does not exist

It got merged and moved:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/price-increase-12gb-120-90day-plan-increase-150-unless-switch-koodo-2...

koimr1

@ceeceewrote:

Under nitty gritty it also says the following:

3. Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.

Also:

Additional airtime charges happen when you use more minutes than you have in your plan. Each additional minute costs $0.50. To save on future bills, you may need to change your plan or get an add-on.

Does this mean calls during 8am-5pm Mon-Fri will cost $0.50 per minute if we switch to this Koodo plan?

The private message quote I did in a previous message is actually a moderator's response to the exact same question:

"Could you please tell me what the EXACT deal is that I would be getting should I move to Koodo with your latest offer?

For example, are the minutes truly unlimited or is that only between certain times, etc.?"

I also thought yesterday I saw a message in this forum from a moderator saying it was truly unlimited anytime but I can't find it now. There's just too many posts for me to look for it, sorry.

Hopefully a way-overdue announcement will appear to explain all this.

Charanth182

@jooksingjai77wrote:

EVERYONE PLEASE VISIT:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-public-mobile-kicking-out-120-90-day-12gb-customers-100...

Thread does not exist

ceecee

Under nitty gritty it also says the following:

3. Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.

Also:

Additional airtime charges happen when you use more minutes than you have in your plan. Each additional minute costs $0.50. To save on future bills, you may need to change your plan or get an add-on.

Does this mean calls during 8am-5pm Mon-Fri will cost $0.50 per minute if we switch to this Koodo plan?

koimr1

@Avengerwrote:

@koimr1 I looked at his posts and bill, there is no indication of a large tab.  He is simply paying for the plan.  I am looking to confirm how I can get a tab large with this rate as it seems it defaults to Tab Small only?

My apologies, I misread your message. Stand by......

Here's a private message I got from a moderator just this morning:

----

Thank you for reaching out to us! I can definitely answer your questions about the Koodo promo Smiley Happy 

Here are the conditions of the offer:

• You get unlimited international texts and unlimited Canada-wide minutes
  • One-time $100 bill credit to make up for the future days that the customer has already paid for on their Public Mobile plan
  • You may qualify for a $0 phone on a Tab. This will be determined after a credit check
  • There will be a $15 SIM card fee for all eligible Public Mobile RePublic customers

I hope I was able to clarify your doubts in regards to the Koodo offer. 

Let us know if you need anything else and have a great day!

----

So it appears that the credit check Koodo does will determine your tab eligibility. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Avenger

@koimr1 I looked at his posts and bill, there is no indication of a large tab.  He is simply paying for the plan.  I am looking to confirm how I can get a tab large with this rate as it seems it defaults to Tab Small only?

koimr1

@Avengerwrote:

Has anyone had luck moving to Koodo AND getting a large tab with this deal?

Yes! Right in this thread, check this post:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/WARNING-40-Koodo-Offer-is-actually-55-mon...

Note that @canucks4life did have to request it though!

koimr1

@RLBL, Yep agreed.

Yesterday was a very confusing day, most people got the text and then came here for answers and there was nothing official, hence a lot (A LOT!) of outrage from people.

Since using the forums has been touted as the way to deal with PM I would've expected, at the very least, a new thread in the "Announcements" section.

Avenger

Has anyone had luck moving to Koodo AND getting a large tab with this deal?

RLBL

@koimr1wrote:

@RLBLwrote:

This thead is silly...  the additional tab is if you buy a phone on a tab.

If you have aphone, there is no tab.

It's since been clarified that there is no tab requirement so I don't think it's "silly" because at the time this post was written there was no information available other than the Koodo site. Koodo's site DID say to get the $100 credit you needed to also activate a tab at the time. Hence the confusion. 🙂

You know that is very fair, however if one is trolling the forums they will see all sorts of false information because people are unsure.

There definitely should be a FAQ. not happy how this is being handled

koimr1

@RLBLwrote:

It's since been clarified that there is no tab requirement so I don't think it's "silly" because at the time this post was written there was no information available other than the Koodo site. Koodo's site DID say to get the $100 credit you needed to also activate a tab at the time. Hence the confusion. 🙂

RLBL

BillmeisterX

All (current)  Koodo plans include unlimited worldwide texting. 

@echfwrote:

@ShawnC13 Really? Even Oracle decided to jump ship? Smiley Surprised

Seems PM did really hurts everyone's feeling. 

Not saying I am leaving but I do have to weigh my options just like everyone else

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

echf

@ShawnC13 Really? Even Oracle decided to jump ship? Smiley Surprised

Seems PM did really hurts everyone's feeling. 

lukevader

@amallyawrote:

Still at work pushing your crappy fido services? Don't just take my word that fido sucks, listen to your other customers.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/I-left-Public-Mobile-and-I-regret-it/m-p/...

@artofwar Koodo normally is global but the people who have been activating so far claimed the txt was not listed on their contracts 

artofwar

Is unlimited text message Canada wide or world wide texting?

@koimr1 not much other than who you call

The Family Calling on Koodo is same thing as Circle on Fido

It simply means if you have 2 phones on same account they can always call each other (only useful if your second account is local calling or limited minutes)

Canada Wide long distance is to everyone

@koimr1wrote:

This is probably a dumb question but I've learned to be very careful with mobile companies and their terms in the past *cough* Bell *cough* but what is the difference between "Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes" and "Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling"?

jooksingjai77

EVERYONE PLEASE VISIT:

amallya
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

fido.pngfidomc.JPG

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@PMZwrote:

Thanks so much for sharing that with us, @canucks4life!

Did you have to purchase the SIM card separately? I assume that there was no additional activation fee, or contract term?

Also, the written note seems to indicated that you will get a $25 credit for 4 months, as well as a $100 credit in 2 months time. Maybe you could actually be getting a total of $200 in credits? If so that would make sense to switch now, and not wait the extra month!

Yes only charge was $15+tax for SIM...no activation fee, Tab contract etc

As mentioned above additional $100 credit was given by Koodo kiosk rep best to negotiate with store directly in person got nowhere on the phone.

koimr1

This is probably a dumb question but I've learned to be very careful with mobile companies and their terms in the past *cough* Bell *cough* but what is the difference between "Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes" and "Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling"?

Need Help? Let's chat.