cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification code texts/calls getting blocked

Brentzky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve had trouble with a few apps and services that require verification via a text code or phone call. Public Mobile automatically blocks most of these numbers and I am then not able to retrieve my verification code to log into some important banking apps. How do you stop PM from blocking these numbers? I’ve never had this problem with any other network. 

25 REPLIES 25

@AE_Collector wrote:

I don’t do short codes either though yes, I am back to my iPhone 6s Plus once again. It’s on its third screen now... getting pretty good mileage from my daughters hand me downs!

how about @LurganIeUk ?

AE_Collector

My answer is going to be obvious. I don’t know what a short or tall code is and what reason it would used for. 

@AE_Collector      So someone clue us old guys in.  

I don’t do short codes either though yes, I am back to my iPhone 6s Plus once again. It’s on its third screen now... getting pretty good mileage from my daughters hand me downs!

how about @LurganIeUk ?

AE_Collector

@Brentzky 

Tried my iPhone friend but they don't do short codes on their iPhone. Maybe @AE_Collector or @CalgaryBen  can help because they both have iPhones......

@Brentzky 

• go to Settings > Messages, and tap Send & Receive.
  • add your phone number if it hasn't already been added
  • restart and test

hyT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Brentzky Sorry that my hunch was incorrect. Will monitor this thread to see what action will eventually solve your problem. Hope you'll find a solution soon.

Brentzky

@maximum_gato I am using an iPhone. Can you elaborate on what settings it would be?

Brentzky

@hyT Not able to use +1 unfortunately. 10 digits only

@Brentzky 

If you're using an iPhone and you've recieved shortcodes previously with the (672) area code then maybe it lies in the settings of your phone. Perhaps @LurganleUk  whom I can't tag in either identity  can help once I private message him....

hyT

The reasoning behind my hunch:

672 is a relatively new area code for Canada. 672 is also a country code for Antarctica. 672 is also an area code in Trinidad.  Some old programs used by the banks may be confusing it as dialing to Antarctica if it dials without using the "1" as a Canada+US country code first.

I may be wrong, but it's worth a try if other ways are getting you nowhere.

hyT
  • Try this: to whoever has trouble sending you codes, give your phone number as 1-672-xxx-xxxx with the Canada+US country code "1" included, and not just 672-xxx-xxxx.
  • It's just my hunch. Tell me if it helps or not.

hyT

I have nothing to contribute here. 

I am following this thread because I'm just curious to find out what actions will eventually solve your problem.

Brentzky

@maximum_gato I went back in my messages and found a text from CIBC back on March 3rd right after I got this number with area code 672 so it has worked before. I tried texting that number HELP but it didn't change anything.

@Brentzky   If you are a new customer it can take 72 hours to start to be able to recieve short code messages especially from secure sources such as banks and financial institutions. A newer area code also causes problems. Try texting HELP to the short code you are seeking to recieve codes from this has fixed the problem for other users.

@Brentzky wrote:

@Staliger My area code is 672. It’s a Canadian area code so I’m confused why a bank like cibc wouldn’t be able to text it. 

@Brentzky 672 is exactly the area code I had first and had problems with. It is a quite new code. My TD and Scotiabank couldn't verify my number through calls/messages.

Brentzky

@Jb456 Thanks I’ll try contacting them!

Brentzky

@will13am it used to work when I was with Telus and I haven’t changed any settings on my phone. What settings would it even be under with an iPhone?

They do in fact block incoming texts. Other people on here have had the same problem and CIBC confirmed it as well when I called them for support. 

Brentzky

@oglat I’m not blocking anything. I’ve never changed any settings and am using the same phone. Never had this problem with TELUS. 

Brentzky

@Staliger My area code is 672. It’s a Canadian area code so I’m confused why a bank like cibc wouldn’t be able to text it. 

Brentzky

@Luddite You’re right, Email isn’t an option for some of these apps. Regardless I would just like to use verification text codes as they are the most convenient. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Brentzky wrote:

I’ve had trouble with a few apps and services that require verification via a text code or phone call. Public Mobile automatically blocks most of these numbers and I am then not able to retrieve my verification code to log into some important banking apps. How do you stop PM from blocking these numbers? I’ve never had this problem with any other network. 

Yep, I too can attest to the fact that 2FA text messages can be a problem at PM, to say nothing of how insecure they are if you lose your phone. Whenever possible I request email confirmation.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Brentzky what is your area code? Maybe it is a new code which is not recognized by all apps yet. I had same issue, couldn't get code from my banking app. After I changed my number with an older area code, texts from apps started go through.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Here is the list of shortcode texts that definitely should be coming through

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi... 

Regular numbers should go through without any problems, check that you are not blocking any or the your message app is not checking against any spam database

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Brentzky , Public  Mobile does not block incoming text.  It could be your texting app settings that are causing certain text to be blocked.  Please check and adjust texting app settings.  

@Brentzky 

I do not think that Public mobile blocks any phone numbers from calling.  However, PM only support only certain number of short code texts from different companies  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi...

Maybe check your phone settings to make sure there is not a feature to block certain numbers, etc.  

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Contact moderators for assistance. Two ways to reach them.

1-

Simon.JPG

 2 - via private message at link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.