cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Vacation Disconnect?

So lost/stollen phone is the easiest way to make one inactive? Any idea what a caller would get in this scenario?

@AE_Collector  That's a good question, to be honest I'm not sure. My guess is that the call drops and does not go to VM because your service has been suspended.

Oracle

@AE_Collector @I have used it with no charges incurred and without USA roaming(hence no texting out) 

Here are some good reads

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Another-Cruise-With-Public-Mobile/m-p/3...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Cruising-with-Public-Mobile/m-p/28937...

Here is a topic I started when I discovered the loophole. I was never billed on ship or via pm. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Cellular-at-sea/m-p/216946#M61886 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:

@AE_Collector @I have used it with no charges incurred and without USA roaming(hence no texting out) 

Here are some good reads

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Another-Cruise-With-Public-Mobile/m-p/3...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Cruising-with-Public-Mobile/m-p/28937...

Here is a topic I started when I discovered the loophole. I was never billed on ship or via pm. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Cellular-at-sea/m-p/216946#M61886 

Wow, interesting info @mimmo ! Thanks for the links, I will read all of that info later today. I may cautiously experiment with that this trip but I suspect that if it works... it works. My understanding of Cellular at Sea is that the ship only provides the access via their satellite network and your carrier determines what the end user pays based on your plan.  Ever thought about Prepaid plans having no ability to charge for it.

@geopublic wrote:

So lost/stollen phone is the easiest way to make one inactive? Any idea what a caller would get in this scenario?

@AE_Collector  That's a good question, to be honest I'm not sure. My guess is that the call drops and does not go to VM because your service has been suspended.

Yes hard to say for sure. Someone likely knows! Thanks for your input! Terry

Straying a little here but an interesting thing I have learned on cruise ships when using both iMessage and Hangouts is that when you disconnect from ships internet plan (typically billed or supplied per minute of connection irregardless of data usage) both of these communication methods will continue to work for some time. Conversations with anyone you were talking with on iMessage or Hangouts while online will remain active for quite some time allowing the conversation to continue without burning expensive internet minutes.

@AE_Collector wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Yes hard to say for sure. Someone likely knows! Thanks for your input! Terry

@AE_Collector  The easiest way to find out is to try it. You can temporarily put your phone in suspension using the lost/stolen option and try calling your number from your wife's phone and see what happens.Smiley Happy

Note: Some community members have reported that using the Lost/Stolen method might affect with rewards being applied correclty on renewal so please use at your own risk.

@geopublic wrote:

@AE_Collector  The easiest way to find out is to try it. You can temporarily put your phone in suspension using the lost/stolen option and try calling your number from your wife's phone and see what happens.Smiley Happy

Note: Some community members have reported that using the Lost/Stolen method might affect with rewards being applied correclty on renewal so please use at your own risk.

Yes for sure. Probably not too much danger in trying it. I would think that this feature would just deactivate the ability to make or receive calls until you are able to find your phone. Thus your renewal date would move along a day for each day it is suspended. Thus VM May continue to take messages if you are called.  But things could be different once you go past your renewal date. In actual fact I wouldn’t behave been surprised if you were still charged for the next month even with this feature activated since it is really just there to prevent someone from using it if they find it. 

@AE_Collector wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Yes for sure. Probably not too much danger in trying it. I would think that this feature would just deactivate the ability to make or receive calls until you are able to find your phone. Thus your renewal date would move along a day for each day it is suspended. Thus VM May continue to take messages if you are called.  But things could be different once you go past your renewal date. In actual fact I wouldn’t behave been surprised if you were still charged for the next month even with this feature activated since it is really just there to prevent someone from using it if they find it. 

Yes, when a plan is in any kind of on hold status, all features stop working, including VM. All the caller gets is the phone rings without ceasing and never goes to VM (I have MANY plans and frequently place them on and off hold, so am very familiar with this).

For a complete and up-to-date review of all your options and the implication of each, please read the following:

When and How to Suspend or Place an account on Hold (Extended absence, etc)