cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Vacation Disconnect?

My $40/30 day 5Gb plan renews (starts next 30 days) May 31, the same day my wife’s identical plan renews. I would rather the renewal days were staggered. We both step onto Golden Princess at Vancouver the next morning for 14 days where we won’t be using our phones at all. 

 

I just got my last $10 x 6 months credit but my wife has received about 3 of the 6 so far. What are the implications of me doing whatever it is to not renew my phone for 15 days until we return? If it were my wife’s phone that we didn’t renew would she still ultimately/eventually get all 6 of the $10 credits? We both have autopay set up. I have more referral credits (6) on my account. So may be better to furlough her phone if none of the $10 credits would be lost. 

 

And finally, what would callers get when calling the inactive number? Would voice mail still be there with my greeting even if there were no option to leave a message? I typically put a message on to call my landline to leave messages when we are away.

 

Thanks for helping me figure out just how this works and how to set it up!    Terry

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Vacation Disconnect?

Switch to the $8 plan if you plan to use the service again.   You can future date it for the next month, so you do not lose your old plan.  I do not know if you can stagger the plans easily.

 

The only downside to this is that you can only switch back to any plan that is available at the time

Oracle

Re: Vacation Disconnect?

@AE_Collector, I am a little more familiar with the rewards.  They obviously do not get paid out when the account is suspended.  They will restart when you resume the service.  As for the $10 rewards, I thought that the reward also suspends on account suspension but will not resume thereafter.  The wording on the second last bullet seems to suggest this.

 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Activate-any-30-mo-plan-and-get-10-off-...

Oracle

Re: Vacation Disconnect?


@bridonca wrote:

Switch to the $8 plan if you plan to use the service again.   You can future date it for the next month, so you do not lose your old plan.  I do not know if you can stagger the plans easily.

 

The only downside to this is that you can only switch back to any plan that is available at the time


Switching to a less than $30 plan will mean illegibility for the $10 reward. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Vacation Disconnect?


@will13am wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

Switch to the $8 plan if you plan to use the service again.   You can future date it for the next month, so you do not lose your old plan.  I do not know if you can stagger the plans easily.

 

The only downside to this is that you can only switch back to any plan that is available at the time


Switching to a less than $30 plan will mean illegibility for the $10 reward. 


True.  I guess it depends on how long the vacation will be.  The $10 reward is only good for 6 months, so that is also something to consider.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Vacation Disconnect?


@AE_Collector wrote:

My $40/30 day 5Gb plan renews (starts next 30 days) May 31, the same day my wife’s identical plan renews. I would rather the renewal days were staggered. We both step onto Golden Princess at Vancouver the next morning for 14 days where we won’t be using our phones at all. 

 

@AE_Collector  If the cruise offers WiFi then it's a good idea to bring your phone along. If you have an Android device you can use Google Hangouts Dialer or an alternative  to make calls and check your voicemails via WiFi. 

 

I just got my last $10 x 6 months credit but my wife has received about 3 of the 6 so far. What are the implications of me doing whatever it is to not renew my phone for 15 days until we return? If it were my wife’s phone that we didn’t renew would she still ultimately/eventually get all 6 of the $10 credits? We both have autopay set up. I have more referral credits (6) on my account. So may be better to furlough her phone if none of the $10 credits would be lost. 

 

In your wife's case it's best to renew so that she doesn't risk losing the 3 x $10.00 promo credits. As for you for 14 days quite honestly not worth the hassle to save ~$18.70. Your rewards and credit cover $8.00 so your going to save $10.70 of actual funds. Is it worth it? Your call if you decide yes just suspend your service via the Lost/Stolen option.

 

And finally, what would callers get when calling the inactive number? Would voice mail still be there with my greeting even if there were no option to leave a message? I typically put a message on to call my landline to leave messages when we are away.

 

If you decide to let the renewals proceed then calls will go to VM and since you brought you phones with you will be able to check/retrieve your messages and return calls using a WiFi based calling app.

 

Thanks for helping me figure out just how this works and how to set it up!    Terry


 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Vacation Disconnect?

Yes I have seen other comments suggesting that invalidating the $10 credits by switching to a sub $30 plan will terminate them even if you return to a $30 or higher plan shortly after. I really only intended on idling one of the two phones anyway so my phone that has received all 6 - $10 credits should be the one. 

 

As as suggested I could set up to switch to the $10($8) voice only plan the day before vacation and then just do an immediate plan change back to $40/5 GB plan on our return. That would only cost the $8 and then I would renew early after only 15 days likely with no additional autopay or referral credits at that point since they are monthly credits. I just need to hope that the $40 plan didn’t disappear AGAIN while on vacation but I doubt it. I could preselect the change back to $40 plan right after the $10 plan starts. That way if the $40 plan DID disappear while I was away I could limp along with the $10 plan until my next auto renewal putting me back to the $40 plan. 

 

Good info everyone!     Terry

Oracle

Re: Vacation Disconnect?

Hi Terry, personally I would enable lost stolen mode, then renew your wife's account a day or two after activation. That will stager the activation dates. 

 

My experience as of February is that pm will connect to cellular at sea when enabled. You will be able to make and receive calls at no cost. Sms won't go through.

 

 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Vacation Disconnect?


@geopublic wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

My $40/30 day 5Gb plan renews (starts next 30 days) May 31, the same day my wife’s identical plan renews. I would rather the renewal days were staggered. We both step onto Golden Princess at Vancouver the next morning for 14 days where we won’t be using our phones at all. 

 

@AE_Collector  If the cruise offers WiFi then it's a good idea to bring your phone along. If you have an Android device you can use Google Hangouts Dialer or an alternative  to make calls and check your voicemails via WiFi. 

 

I just got my last $10 x 6 months credit but my wife has received about 3 of the 6 so far. What are the implications of me doing whatever it is to not renew my phone for 15 days until we return? If it were my wife’s phone that we didn’t renew would she still ultimately/eventually get all 6 of the $10 credits? We both have autopay set up. I have more referral credits (6) on my account. So may be better to furlough her phone if none of the $10 credits would be lost. 

 

In your wife's case it's best to renew so that she doesn't risk losing the 3 x $10.00 promo credits. As for you for 14 days quite honestly not worth the hassle to save ~$18.70. Your rewards and credit cover $8.00 so your going to save $10.70 of actual funds. Is it worth it? Your call if you decide yes just suspend your service via the Lost/Stolen option.

 

And finally, what would callers get when calling the inactive number? Would voice mail still be there with my greeting even if there were no option to leave a message? I typically put a message on to call my landline to leave messages when we are away.

 

If you decide to let the renewals proceed then calls will go to VM and since you brought you phones with you will be able to check/retrieve your messages and return calls using a WiFi based calling app.

 

Thanks for helping me figure out just how this works and how to set it up!    Terry


 


Yes agreed @geopublic .. not really worth the hassle normally. The thought that I could get the renewal dates staggered was the largest benefit to me. This is because a large part of the reason we switched to PM is so we can really step up our data plan over summer at the cottage and then back to a much smaller data plan in the off season. This avoids us having to look at an internet plan for the cabin.  We go back and forth a lot slowly ramping up the cabin time through the spring, pretty much living there full time through summer and then ramping down in September. Thus with staggered renewal dates we can step one phone at a time up or down and share the data on the phone with the larger plan early and late in the season. Both retired and almost always in the same place at the same time.

 

So lost/stollen phone is the easiest way to make one inactive? Any idea what a caller would get in this scenario?

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Vacation Disconnect?


@mimmo wrote:

Hi Terry, personally I would enable lost stolen mode, then renew your wife's account a day or two after activation. That will stager the activation dates. 

 

My experience as of February is that pm will connect to cellular at sea when enabled. You will be able to make and receive calls at no cost. Sms won't go through.

 

 


Cellular at Sea typically comes with a hefty surcharge varying and determined by each cell provider. Are you saying that since PM is prepaid with no way to collect extra charges... it just works? Or at least voice works as a part of your unlimited Canada calling?