Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOLTE

Mavi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does Public Mobile has VOLTE?

14 REPLIES 14

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 personally I suspect it's more about needing to have [as many] things [as possible without making PM totally useless] to entice people upward in the "value chain" to Koodo or Telus.

Another way of looking at it is if the network works, why do we really need either?   I suspect that if VoLTE were enabled, we'd have more people with devices with limited LTE-only (and high frequency) compatibility complaining about how unreliable the voice service is.   As for Wi-Fi calling, I guess that can't hurt to have for people who work in usually large buildings with weak indoor coverage, but my opinion is that the Wi-Fi calling can sometimes only be a stop-gap measure by carriers to compensate for an inadequate network in that area.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 personally I suspect it's more about needing to have [as many] things [as possible without making PM totally useless] to entice people upward in the "value chain" to Koodo or Telus.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@s2scotty wrote:

I ditto the rant and echo the sentiment.

I have a OnePlus, it supports VOLTE, and did so while being a PM customer ROAMING in the US -- but NOT AT HOME.

Snort.

@s2scotty ditto on the disappointed OnePlus owner front.  PM doesn't support VoLTE at all.  Koodo does but only on post-paid and only on a very select list of handsets and only those sold to you by them other than iPhones which can be purchased from Apple too, which leaves us OnePlus'rs out.  Telus I believe has the same problem as Koodo, though a slightly larger supported device list.  This makes no sense to me--the phone supports it, the [Koodo or Telus] service supports it, so enable it already!  

I suppose that Public Mobile doesn't want the bandwidth to be used more efficiently. They also don't seem to be in any hurry to make WiFi callingwork either, since I guess they'd rather have us connect to the towers than to have us use our own internet connections.

srlawren

@s2scotty wrote:

I have a OnePlus, it supports VOLTE, and did so while being a PM customer ROAMING in the US -- but NOT AT HOME.

Snort.

@s2scotty ditto on the disappointed OnePlus owner front.  PM doesn't support VoLTE at all.  Koodo does but only on post-paid and only on a very select list of handsets and only those sold to you by them other than iPhones which can be purchased from Apple too, which leaves us OnePlus'rs out.  Telus I believe has the same problem as Koodo, though a slightly larger supported device list.  This makes no sense to me--the phone supports it, the [Koodo or Telus] service supports it, so enable it already!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Snort.

@mimmo, IF Tel Us wanted that, They may as well Close PM up. UNLESS they intend to Do away with LTE altogether and then force everyone on 3G, OR, if they wanted to save more Money, Put us on 2G lik service.

The Carriers have been entertained long enough.

We're already charged the highest rates in the world, and they wish no competition, just a monopoly.

Eventually, it may reach point where we may never be able to afford even the MOST basic function.

We need MORE Relief and competition, like 6 Carriers per region.

The current status quo will utterly kill us financially

@koimr1, somewhat like NFC payments in Canada.  If your bank doesn't support the operating system on your phone, you're out of luck.

mimmo

@makkahn28 I have to disagree with this. Telus wants customers to migrate from pm to Koodo. If pm and Koodo had all the same features then no

one would migrate. 

IIlike to think of it like cars   could buy a hynduai accent( bare bones) or I could buy an Elantra(more features)  or when my needs change I could trade in my accent for the elantra.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

no it doesnt. i think koodo supports a couple phones and probably so does telus

@mimmo correct.  Koodo has an extremely limited supported device list and only for phones purchased directly from Koodo.  Telus has I believe a less limited but still limited device list with the same "from them" restriction.  It's pretty sad really.

Minor rant that adds nothing to this conversation: And here I am with a phone that supports VoLTE on almost any carrier in the world that has that feature except for Canada where it has to be enabled by the carrier itself.... 😞

PM should ALSO have VOLTE

It must evolve if it has ANY Chance at long-term success

I think Freedom is the same way.  My q6 is VoLTE ready (purchased from Telus), but *may not work* on Freedom's network.

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

@mimmo correct.  Koodo has an extremely limited supported device list and only for phones purchased directly from Koodo.  Telus has I believe a less limited but still limited device list with the same "from them" restriction.  It's pretty sad really.

mimmo

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

No.

Need Help? Let's chat.