cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

VOIP with 3G?

So I use VOIP internet phone a lot to make overseas calls.

will 3G connection with PM works well?  I mainly use it with Skype and Google Voice.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: VOIP with 3G?

@mmbiker wrote:

will 3G connection with PM works well?  I mainly use it with Skype and Google Voice.

For VoIP call, you want low latency in order to keep up with the real-time voice call.  Otherwise, you will get choppy voice calls. 

PM 3G plan allows both 3G and LTE capped at 3Mbps.  LTE has lower latency around 5 - 10ms.  3G latency is around 20ms - 40ms.  3Mbps is plenty for voice call. It is better to use LTE for voice calls.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mmbiker all the PM talk plans are 3g. You would have to purchase an international add on. And there are only certain countries that you can call. Scroll down to add ons here and look under the 400 minute international add on to see the countries that you can call. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

@mmbiker wrote:

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@mmbiker wrote:

For VoIP call, you want low latency in order to keep up with the real-time voice call.  Otherwise, you will get choppy voice calls. 

PM 3G plan allows both 3G and LTE capped at 3Mbps.  LTE has lower latency around 5 - 10ms.  3G latency is around 20ms - 40ms.  3Mbps is plenty for voice call. It is better to use LTE for voice calls.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Its not the speed of the data that matters for VOIP calls its the latency or the time to send 1 data message from your phone to the otherside.  LTE will have better latency than 3G.  You will have a better experience with LTE.  But it should still work for 3G.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@mmbiker wrote:

Zero problems with WhatsApp and Skype.

Just to clarify (and tagging @Alan_K and @Tiana_V  again and again on this!!) Public Mobile's 3G plans are NOT properly named. Whenever possible from the network capabilities and the phone  settings, the data is delivered on LTE with the according latency (= "ping" or reaction time) it's just the actual speed that is artificially throttled. Something that you are unlikely to notice with every day use like VoIP, e-mail, social media, music streaming or the occasional YouTube video. 

I've always preferred calling it LTE light or throttled LTE to make the distinction.

want to look for a higher GB LTE plan somewhere else if you regularly watch HD movies, do online games or frequent huge file transfers.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@wetcoaster wrote:

@mmbiker wrote:

Zero problems with WhatsApp and Skype.

Just to clarify (and tagging @Alan_K and @Tiana_V  again and again on this!!) Public Mobile's 3G plans are NOT properly named. Whenever possible from the network capabilities and the phone  settings, the data is delivered on LTE with the according latency (= "ping" or reaction time) it's just the actual speed that is artificially throttled. Something that you are unlikely to notice with every day use like VoIP, e-mail, social media, music streaming or the occasional YouTube video. 

I've always preferred calling it LTE light or throttled LTE to make the distinction.

want to look for a higher GB LTE plan somewhere else if you regularly watch HD movies, do online games or frequent huge file transfers.

Agree.  I was with Chatr/Mobilicity 3G plan.  Some location, the Chatr 3G data is too slow for surfing.  VoIP call is out of the question with Chatr 3G.  For a new subscriber with no knowledge of PM LTE capped to 3Mbps, they will skip PM and look for another provider.

Highlighted

So with PM LTE Lite, do I still get the low latency for Good VOIP calls?

if it is indeed 3G latency, than is not good enough for me as is use Skype and Google Voice often.

can anyone confirm before I make the switch?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@mmbiker wrote:

if it is indeed 3G latency, than is not good enough for me as is use Skype and Google Voice often.

It's LTE latency as long as your phone settings are set accordingly.

as mentioned before, I'm making WhatsApp and Skype calls on a regular basis - works flawlessly on Public Mobile's LTE light (aka "3G plans" 🙄)

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@mmbiker wrote:

Yes.  Set you phone to auto 3G/LTE.  You phone will switch to the strongest signal - most likely the LTE.  You don't want to set at LTE only because PM use 3G to make voice calls..

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

I have zero problems with VoIP calls

I use the apps and the native sip dialer both work fine.

Apps used by me or in my household are fongo, TextNow, mobilevoip, Skype WhatsApp Viber

I use freephoneline and nonoh with native sip dialer.

If signal is good, the call is just fine.

You should really check signal on your area for Bell/Telus