cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP with 3G?

mmbiker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I use VOIP internet phone a lot to make overseas calls.

will 3G connection with PM works well?  I mainly use it with Skype and Google Voice.

25 REPLIES 25

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@computergeek541 wrote:

@mmbiker wrote:

will 3G connection with PM works well?  I mainly use it with Skype and Google Voice.

When it comes to the talk about pings, I sometimes get better latency on the 3g network - but not always.  What I will say is that the LTE network is a more consistent performer.  As for VoIP-like applications, I've never noticed any difference worth noting when using applications such as  Skype, Hangouts, Viber, or Facebook.

I find in nl (Bell RAN) the HSPA network is extremely unresponsive. Not sure if it's congestion or what but was the same experience in the past with Koodo/Telus .this was with -85ish dbm signal strength as well. It works, but responsiveness is noticeably better on LTE even throttled.

BanditHorse
I'm seeing quite a few posts regarding the technical aspects of VoIP & Public Mobile, so I'll just briefly chime in with my personal experience: After about a couple of weeks, I've had no problems whatsoever with latency, intermittent data, dropped calls, etc. I use Fongo as my service, and they're among the beat, in my opinion, after having used many other services (mostly free and a couple paid), so while the VoIP service is a huge variable in determining what an individual experience with PM will be like, I'd say you should be happy overall, even w/the 3G. Hope that helps! *Friendly nickers* Bandit (Horse)

BanditHorse

Edited

@srlawren wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

Yes @srlawren  , I totally misunderstood and blew that one. 

@gblackma just please slow down.  Maybe go outside for some fresh air once in a while?

Totally agree with this earlier @gblackma  was asking the OP what type of phone they had when it was right there in the title.  Remember the forum is only as good as the information that is being provided and if you aren't giving the correct information you aren't being any help.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gblackma wrote:

@gblackma just please slow down.  Maybe go outside for some fresh air once in a while?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@gblackma wrote:

@mmbiker all the PM talk plans are 3g. You would have to purchase an international add on. And there are only certain countries that you can call. Scroll down to add ons here and look under the 400 minute international add on to see the countries that you can call. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

@mmbiker wrote:

@gblackma did you bother reading before replying?  They are asking about VoIP calls, not about making regular phone calls overseas.

EDIT: I know that you're on some kind of quest to inflate your ego by posting on every thread in the community, but can you please slow down and think before you post?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mmbiker wrote:

When it comes to the talk about pings, I sometimes get better latency on the 3g network - but not always.  What I will say is that the LTE network is a more consistent performer.  As for VoIP-like applications, I've never noticed any difference worth noting when using applications such as  Skype, Hangouts, Viber, or Facebook.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gblackma wrote:

@iPhoneUser , you are up to bat.

@kselmak wrote:

I don't use iPhone but I just glanced on Google

Looking a https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/app...

Looks like you just enable both.

Can somebody with iPhone confirm?

Remembering Apple hardware from 90s they always 'knew what's best for you' and wouldn't be surprised if you can't instruct the phone explicitly to switch automatically but just enabling both would do that

So I have VoIP.ms for home phone. 

I also have an app called Zoiper on my iPhone that will also send/receive my VoIP.ms calls too over wifi. Have tried over wifi to call out but I hear that Zoiper is a battery killer if you leave it set up to be on all the time. I only have the 250mb of data so it is only turned on when I need to use it. Since PM has unlimited inbound calls I have set up VoIP.ms to forward all home phone calls to both of our iPhones....works good. First phone to pick up...other 2 stop ringing. If none answered the default answering machine takes over. If we are at home and all 3 ring...we answer the home phone. Any additional calls (while home phone is in use) to home phone.....iPhones only will ring.  For VoIP.ms we pay a fee for unlimited inbound calls and a very low rate for outbound. So the transferred inbound calls are no fee for inbound but the transfer, if answered, is an outbound call......but cost wise is insignificant vs the convenience. And so fun to confuse the callers!

So is the question:

Can you use a VoIP app on an iPhone outbound and inbound over PM data?

or 

Can you use a VoIP app on an iPhone outbound and inbound over Wifi?

@iPhoneUser , you are up to bat.

@kselmak wrote:

Looking a https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/app...

Remembering Apple hardware from 90s they always 'knew what's best for you' and wouldn't be surprised if you can't instruct the phone explicitly to switch automatically but just enabling both would do that

mmbiker

How do I set "auto 3G/LTE" in a iPhone?

pmmobile

@mmbiker  Skype and Google Voice will work fine. PM's network is essentially a LTE network operating at 3G speeds. It has all the benefits of LTE including lower latency. VOIP will also work fine over Wifi networks as most of them are atleast 5Mbps and slower ones around 500kbps (.5Mbps) will work for voice only

@mmbiker 

What plan are you thinking of getting?

It can very cheap too test it yourself.

You could call Walmart and see if they have free sim cards with in-store activation. 

Then you could buy $15 plan which will give you 250 megs if you signup with autopay. That's more than enough for a good tests, if it's not working for you remove your cc info, use up your minutes and data and forget about it. If it's good switch to your intended plan when you run out of resources. You can port your old number at any point as long as your old account is active

I just offed my WiFi, I'm inside but the reception is good, I made a call by TextNow to my mom's cell and the connection seems fast there were no issues with the sound at all and when I asked her if she knew where I'm calling from cell or someplace else she told me she doesn't have glasses on and didn't see. I think it's great

Again check your coverage, if you did most time in very low coverage area you may have issues.

DOA

@mmbiker wrote:

Skype recommends 100 kbps for voice calls (1/30th PM speed) and 1.5Mbps for HD video calls (1/2 PM speed), so you're not going to have any problems.

I have zero problems with VoIP calls

I use the apps and the native sip dialer both work fine.

Apps used by me or in my household are fongo, TextNow, mobilevoip, Skype WhatsApp Viber

I use freephoneline and nonoh with native sip dialer.

If signal is good, the call is just fine.

You should really check signal on your area for Bell/Telus

popping

@mmbiker wrote:

So with PM LTE Lite, do I still get the low latency for Good VOIP calls?

if it is indeed 3G latency, than is not good enough for me as is use Skype and Google Voice often.

can anyone confirm before I make the switch?

Yes.  Set you phone to auto 3G/LTE.  You phone will switch to the strongest signal - most likely the LTE.  You don't want to set at LTE only because PM use 3G to make voice calls..

@mmbiker wrote:

if it is indeed 3G latency, than is not good enough for me as is use Skype and Google Voice often.

It's LTE latency as long as your phone settings are set accordingly.

as mentioned before, I'm making WhatsApp and Skype calls on a regular basis - works flawlessly on Public Mobile's LTE light (aka "3G plans" 🙄)

mmbiker

popping

@wetcoaster wrote:

@mmbiker wrote:

Zero problems with WhatsApp and Skype.

Just to clarify (and tagging @Alan_K and @Tiana_V  again and again on this!!) Public Mobile's 3G plans are NOT properly named. Whenever possible from the network capabilities and the phone  settings, the data is delivered on LTE with the according latency (= "ping" or reaction time) it's just the actual speed that is artificially throttled. Something that you are unlikely to notice with every day use like VoIP, e-mail, social media, music streaming or the occasional YouTube video. 

I've always preferred calling it LTE light or throttled LTE to make the distinction.

want to look for a higher GB LTE plan somewhere else if you regularly watch HD movies, do online games or frequent huge file transfers.

Agree.  I was with Chatr/Mobilicity 3G plan.  Some location, the Chatr 3G data is too slow for surfing.  VoIP call is out of the question with Chatr 3G.  For a new subscriber with no knowledge of PM LTE capped to 3Mbps, they will skip PM and look for another provider.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@mmbiker wrote:

Zero problems with WhatsApp and Skype.

Just to clarify (and tagging @Alan_K and @Tiana_V  again and again on this!!) Public Mobile's 3G plans are NOT properly named. Whenever possible from the network capabilities and the phone  settings, the data is delivered on LTE with the according latency (= "ping" or reaction time) it's just the actual speed that is artificially throttled. Something that you are unlikely to notice with every day use like VoIP, e-mail, social media, music streaming or the occasional YouTube video. 

I've always preferred calling it LTE light or throttled LTE to make the distinction.

want to look for a higher GB LTE plan somewhere else if you regularly watch HD movies, do online games or frequent huge file transfers.

minazf
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Its not the speed of the data that matters for VOIP calls its the latency or the time to send 1 data message from your phone to the otherside.  LTE will have better latency than 3G.  You will have a better experience with LTE.  But it should still work for 3G.

popping

@mmbiker wrote:

For VoIP call, you want low latency in order to keep up with the real-time voice call.  Otherwise, you will get choppy voice calls. 

PM 3G plan allows both 3G and LTE capped at 3Mbps.  LTE has lower latency around 5 - 10ms.  3G latency is around 20ms - 40ms.  3Mbps is plenty for voice call. It is better to use LTE for voice calls.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@mmbiker all the PM talk plans are 3g. You would have to purchase an international add on. And there are only certain countries that you can call. Scroll down to add ons here and look under the 400 minute international add on to see the countries that you can call. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

@mmbiker wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.