cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using public mobile in Mexico

mellondon
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello all. 
I am back now, but just wondering if public mobile has a plan  that I could've purchased to be able to make and accept calls while out of the country. I already have the Canada/USA Roaming. 

11 REPLIES 11

@kelvarnsen wrote:

The weird thing was I was using 1 before the area code and number and it didn't really work (unless you mean actually having the phone dial '+' somehow).

Yes, I meant using the plus symbol - cel phones will automatically treat that as the international exit code. You dial the + by holding 0 usually.

kelvarnsen

@Nezgar wrote:

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Also just FYI if you do purchase a Mexican SIM card it seems that you need to dial 00 before the 1-area code for it to go through. That might be obvious to others but I am in Mexico now and was surprised that when I didn't use 00 on my AT &T sim most numbers didn't go through. Surprisingly a call to my wife's PM number did to her voice mail.

If you dial +1 it should also work. Each country has their "exit code" many different , which cell phones will automatically figure it out. If you store all your contacts in this pretty way, it will work from any country, even locally in Canada:

+1 (306) 555-1212

The weird thing was I was using 1 before the area code and number and it didn't really work (unless you mean actually having the phone dial '+' somehow). The crazy thing was I called my PM phone number with the 1 in front of it and it didn't work, but when I did the same thing for my wife's PM number it did. As soon as I added the 00 mine worked fine.

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Also just FYI if you do purchase a Mexican SIM card it seems that you need to dial 00 before the 1-area code for it to go through. That might be obvious to others but I am in Mexico now and was surprised that when I didn't use 00 on my AT &T sim most numbers didn't go through. Surprisingly a call to my wife's PM number did to her voice mail.

If you dial +1 it should also work. Each country has their "exit code" many different , which cell phones will automatically figure it out. If you store all your contacts in this pretty way, it will work from any country, even locally in Canada:

+1 (306) 555-1212

DOA

I use YouMail as a replacement for PM's voicemail.

When I'm out of the country and using a foreign SIM, I can check voicemail that comes to my PM number in the app in both audio and transcribed text formats.

Even at home, it's a lot more convenient to check voicemail in the app rather than suffering through the usual VM mess.

kelvarnsen

mellondon

Thanks for the great info 

Joelkim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'd prefer to purchase a new sim in Mexico when it happens to me and roaming fee is so expensive, but you can text and talk via whatapp on wifi. I used to do that in Cuba last year! I had no problem 😄

@Jb456 wrote:

No they do not. 

You could download TEXTNOW for next Mexico trip. You get a Canadian number in your area and you can call/text Canada and USA for free over wifi.. people can call,text and even leave you voicemail.

I'm in Mexico right now and use TextNow to call / text home....works flawlessly as long as you have wifi...which is just about everywhere nowadays. Most cafes, bars, restraunts and resorts have free wifi.

Alternative is to purchase a sim card available at most OXXO stores, then get a cheap talk/text/data plan.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Anything is possible but expansion of roaming service is unlikely.  This would be above the Public Mobile pay grade; reserved for brands higher up in the Telus food chain.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No they do not. 

You could download TEXTNOW for next Mexico trip. You get a Canadian number in your area and you can call/text Canada and USA for free over wifi.. people can call,text and even leave you voicemail.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@mellondon wrote:

Hello all. 
I am back now, but just wondering if public mobile has a plan  that I could've purchased to be able to make and accept calls while out of the country. I already have the Canada/USA Roaming. 

PM cannot be used in Mexico.

PM Roaming is available only for USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.