cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using phone in the USA

slhudson23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm on the $40 plan and I'm going to the USA for 2 weeks this month - do I buy the $15 international add-on in order to be able to make calls when I am there? What happens with data roaming?

Thanks, Sarah

14 REPLIES 14

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jonfirlotte wrote:

I would get the international add-on just to be on the safe side, your regular plan may not work.

Stop posting things you are not Sure about.  What good is the international add on if it won't work where the original poster needs it to work. FYI. Any time you are out of the country it's called Roaming 

@slhudson23 wrote:

Unfortunately it's just renewed... I should have thought of this earlier and paid the $60

Unfortunately, that means that you're stuck with roaming add-ons. The downside of this is how less data is included if you want to spend only $60 this billing cycle. 

slhudson23

Unfortunately it's just renewed... I should have thought of this earlier and paid the $60

slhudson23

@jonfirlotte wrote:

I would get the international add-on just to be on the safe side, your regular plan may not work.

It's already been established that a $40 Public Mobile plan will not work in the U.S. unless a roaming add-on package is purchased.

jonfirlotte
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@slhudson23 wrote:

Ah ok so it has to be roaming? I was trying to figure out the difference between '200 min US and Canada Long Distance - $8.00' and US roaming unlimited minutes talk time - $8.00'

@slhudson23  Where does your renewal date fall in regards to the timing of your trip?

slhudson23

Ah ok so it has to be roaming? I was trying to figure out the difference between '200 min US and Canada Long Distance - $8.00' and US roaming unlimited minutes talk time - $8.00'

@slhudson23 wrote:

I'm on the $40 plan and I'm going to the USA for 2 weeks this month - do I buy the $15 international add-on in order to be able to make calls when I am there? What happens with data roaming?

Thanks, Sarah

Ensure that you purchase the correct add-on. In the past, people have purchased long distance minutes by mistake. Be sure to take a roaming add-on.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@slhudson23 wrote:

Thanks, Sarah

If you are able to switch your plan to the $60 plan on your renewal or if it falls within a few day of it to change it immeadiately on your departure day it would give you full coverage while you are there. It would cost the same as the add on but give you a lot more data 2gb as well as 3gb more while in Canada.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could purchase the $20 add-on which would give you both phone, data, and text.  It is only valid for 10 days from purchase.  Remember when purchasing the add-on you need to purchase and add it to your account.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@slhudson23 wrote:

Thanks, Sarah

You can consider getting the 10 Day US Roaming Add-on...talk/text/data for $20...or talk/text for $15.You 10 fdays start the minute you buy it so plan ahead. If you buy it at 10pm...that counts as day 1.

PS...your regular $40 plan will just stop working while in US. There's no risk of surprise data overages when you get home.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@slhudson23 there are roaming data/text and calling add ons for 10 days at a time, the other option would be to switch to the 60$ plan for a month 

Need Help? Let's chat.