cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my SIM card in another phone?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have a primary phone which uses my sim card for Public Mobile.  I have a few other phones which aren't mine but I believe they should be unlocked.  What happens if I insert my SIM card into one of these phones?  Does my SIM card get re-registered to the new phone's IMEI number?  And what happens if I remove the SIM card afterwards, does the phone retain any of the information from my SIM?  Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

@mobileguy, nope you did it right then. As I mentioned above, you will get people who still like to give you their 2-cents (okay, since no pennies exist, 5-cents) worth, they will or may post something. You can also ignore them too if you want?

mobileguy

@mpcdesign , I did mark a response as a solution.  Am I missing a step that I should still be doing?

@445935293 wrote:

if the phones are good for 4g it will work. some phones might need to set up to use the internet

This isn't true. Public Mobile does not allow customers to use VoLTE. This means that if a phone is 4g LTE compatible but not 3g HSPA compatible, it would work for both data and text messages, but not for phone calls.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

if the phones are good for 4g it will work. some phones might need to set up to use the internet

@mobileguy, you need to find a solution that you think resembles the solution and then you can mark it accepted. 

Although, it doesn't prevent other people from still commenting to the post. But, it will help if you can mark an answer and it gets pushed from the active posts to the solved solutions side of things.

Glad some of the information was able to help you! 

mobileguy

Thanks everyone for your assistance.  This topic can be closed.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy, yes, it will work. I have a friend who's SIM card (also part of the Public Mobile network) wasn't working on her phone. We did a test, and we swap her SIM card into my phone. And all her contacts and details pop up onto my phone. We knew then it was her phone. 

I took her SIM card and put my card back in, and none of her contacts and information was there! 

Your call history is kept on the device not sim

When you save contacts you can choose to save it to sim, phone, or Google account. If you pick the phone to save it it will stay there and once you pull out the sim you will not carry out to your phone. If you save on the sim you have very limited options for that contact. You can just store stuff on your amount instead and once done using tee temporary phone (if you don't mind losing all the personal info that doesn't get usually synchronized with your account, like downloads) just hit reset to factory settings and it should be all clean for the next user

@mobileguy  Not a risk as long as you didn't download any content on the phone's storage and you didn't login into any of the apps.

pharaohpeter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mobileguy If those phones are unlocked, you can use your SIM on them just fine! They will work normally.

In my first days with Telus prepaid, when you checked your account online it would show that the SIM was in PHONE MODEL and the IMEI number.  As well it showed one on my phones was a replacement phone and it would also say INTERNATIONAL....meaning unlocked. If you put the SIM into another unlocked phone or a locked to Telus phone that information would change on your account very quickly. 

But to answer your question, if the phone is compatible and not too ancient and is unlocked or a Telus locked phone go ahead and change the SIM, reboot phone (and your APN settings may need an update) and you are off to the races. 

mobileguy

It's a company phone so I don't think I'll do a factory reset since it's got apps and other stuff on it.

@mobileguy  factory reset it if you are concerned about whats left behind.

mobileguy

Thanks.  And what about the privacy issue.  After I put the SIM back into my primary phone, does the previous phone retain any of my information?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mobileguy , there is no registration/lock to a device IMEI.  You can swap your SIM from phone to phone as much as you like.  The usual caveats apply, phone must be unlocked (or locked to Telus and sister brands) and have compatible bands to work.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy 

as long as they are unlocked your phone  will work right away.

They also need to be compatible with the telus network. You may need to reset the phone after you put the SIM card in. 

Need Help? Let's chat.