cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using in US

Bigmac
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good morning guys,

I will go to US for vacation and probably have more business trip to US next year. Now my question is how much the rate for Voice and Data is in US. 

My current plan is Unlimited Ontario Voice

Unlimited Canada-text - (won't use it in US)

1 GB data.

1. There is an add-on for lang distance for canada-wide and US, can I use it in US to make call to Canada/US local phone? 

2. Can I use my data plan in US? Or I have to buy another add-on (But there isn't any data add-on for US use )

Thanks.

BigMacMan Happy

15 REPLIES 15

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You could set up Fongo (or some other VoIP service) with a local Ontario number, then forward your PM calls to that Fongo number while you're away.  Make sure the serivce you get in the US includes some data, and you're set for calls.  This won't help for texting as I don't know of any way to forward text messages unfortunately. 

I like using Roam Mobility while I'm in the US.  It might cost slightly more than buying a prepaid card from a US carrier, but it's billed in Canadian dollars, can be purchased in daily increments, and only costs $4/day for 400GB LTE data and unlimited calling and texting.  It does unfortunately also give you a US-based number, but again you could use the Fongo-style idea above to forward your calls, I believe.  I've never tried this, I just make due with the US-based number temporarily while I'm away.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

Whatever workaround you have in mind, if it involves forwarding to the U.S., it's dead in the water.

The only workaround that would work is if you forwarded your PM number to a toll-free number, which, in turn, forwarded to a non-PM anywhere in North America. I have used kall8.com for many years, as I own several toll-frees. If you require a free voicemail box in the States, go to K7.net. Both companies are located in Washington State.

FYI.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Martin, that is quite bizarre! Thanks for the clarification. Sorry, @Bigmac Smiley Frustrated

Would it be possible to do a localised forwarding from your phone directly rather than through PM?? I realise this is getting unnecessarily complex to do a workaround!

Bigmac

Really?

That's too bad... Man Frustrated

Martin
Legend
Legend
@youbeme,

A clarification is in order.

The Canada/USA add-on cannot be used to forward calls to a U.S. number. PM does not permit forwarding to non-Canadian numbers.

FYI.

Bigmac

Good idea. It's really another option for me. 

youbme

@Bigmac wrote:

You know what, that's really painful to tell so many people the new number... and tell them don't delete current number because I use it in Canada...

Haha... 🙂

This would cost extra, but you could add the Can/US add-on then turn on forwarding to your temporary US number, so at least you would receive calls that go to your PM number while down south.

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Bigmac wrote:

You know what, that's really painful to tell so many people the new number... and tell them don't delete current number because I use it in Canada...

Haha... 🙂

I have to agree with you on this one!!!

Bigmac

Haha... 🙂

Daniel
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Bigmac,

Most post in the forum concerning US phone, text and data suggest getting a SIM card from a US provider.

Unfortunatly, this will give you a second phone number while you're in the states.

youbme

Yeah, I think that would benefit a lot of customers.

Bigmac

When can PM has such add-on, that would be awesome.!!!Man LOL

Screen Shot 11-06-15 at 07.56 AM.PNG

Bigmac

That's really bad. So I have to tell "tons" of people that "use xxx to contact me in US"...

This is a good option to have a use Simcard....

Thank you. hope PM can have roaming in US at least soon. 

youbme

Here is another reference about roaming in the US:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/US-Roaming/m-p/15363#M2178

It might be worth looking into a temporary SIM card from another provider while you're down there. Anyone have experience with this?

EDIT: Another thread mentioned https://www.roammobility.com/ -it looks like a good option

youbme

@Bigmac wrote:

Good morning guys,

I will go to US for vacation and probably have more business trip to US next year. Now my question is how much the rate for Voice and Data is in US. 

My current plan is Unlimited Ontario Voice

Unlimited Canada-text - (won't use it in US)

1 GB data.

1. There is an add-on for lang distance for canada-wide and US, can I use it in US to make call to Canada/US local phone? 

2. Can I use my data plan in US? Or I have to buy another add-on (But there isn't any data add-on for US use )

Thanks.

BigMacMan Happy

@Bigmac, my understanding is that you cannot use PM in the US (or anywhere outside of Canada). There are no roaming options, so unfortunately you will have to figure out an alternative while you are in the states. Hopefully, they will give us some roaming possibilities in the future!

Need Help? Let's chat.