cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using WIFI in Mexico

amcgrath3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello all!

I don't know much about these things so this might be a silly question.

When on WIFI in Mexico, will I be able to send/receive texts and use the internet?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

rlongfield
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As many have said wi-fi will give you internet access.

If you want to send text messages from your phone using your phone number you can install the Signal Messaging app. You can set Signal up to send text by Mobile data, or Wi-Fi data.
In Signal the setting is found in;  Settings > Advanced > SMS and MMS. You will want to turn on  "WiFi Calling" compatibility mode.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As long as you are not referring to Wi-Fi mistakenly as Data. Yes you can iMessage from an iPhone over wifi.   But to text using a phone carrier....no you cannot text. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@amcgrath3 wrote:

Hello all!

When on WIFI in Mexico, will I be able to send/receive texts and use the internet?

Thanks!

@amcgrath3 Feel free to use WIFI there to use internet, but texts won't be sent and received because PM has no international roaming addons or plans.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There are no  PM roaming plans for Mexico, US only. Best to buy a local sim card while there and not worry about running out of usage days.

@amcgrath3 wrote:

Hello all!

Thanks!

Wi-Fi doesn't have anything to do with your Public Mobile services. You could use Wi-Fi without a sim card in the phone.  Standard text messages don't work over an internet connection.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@amcgrath3 

PM does not have roaming add-on for Mexico.  Therefore, you will not get text message as text mesages are delivered using the mobile voice channel.  Wifi will not deliver PM text message to your phone.

Beside WhatsApp and TextNow mentioned earlier, you can also install Fongo app on your phone to call Canada and receive text messages.  Fongo charges $3/m to send text messages. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@amcgrath3 wrote:

Hello all!

Thanks!

No texts or calling unless you get a local SIM/plan in Mexico which are quite cheap there as PM doesn't have roaming plans outside of the US. 

With Wifi you will be able to message using a messaging app like Whatsapp or others.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No Public Mobile has no roaming add-on plans for Mexico. Wifi will work for Internet.

You can however look into the app called TEXTNOW.

You'll get a number in your area where you can call and text for free over wifi.. people can even leave you a voicemail if you're not online.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

No  texts , yes to the internet. To send/ receive texts use an app such as whatsapp.

@amcgrath3 wrote:

Hello all!

Thanks!

Need Help? Let's chat.