cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using SIM card for IoT application

lubimaer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I would like to use PM SIM card to connect an embedded/industrial board to the web.

The board is going to run a webserver and connect to internet only through PM network.

Is it possible to access the webserver running on my board knowing the public internet IP of PM SIM card?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

lubimaer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My final solution has been to use another PM phone to connect to my IoT board

With some setup I can confirm that PM to PM is possible

Thanks all for your support

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Telus may not allow IP addresses on their mobile network to be reachable from the internet. I would try it on a phone first to see if you can reach the port you want (ICMP may work, but TCP/UDP may not).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@marsbar no problem!  It's linked at the bottom of every page of PM's site and the community, by the way, toward the bottom right corner.  I have not read it in any detail and don't know for sure that this usage would be against the T&C, but I'd definitely recommend checking first is all.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks!

srlawren

@marsbar try here:  https://publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Public_Mobile_Terms_of_Service.pdf

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

"If it's against the T&C,"

Where can one find the terms and conditions of Public Mobile service?

srlawren

@lubimaer the problem you're going to face IMHO is that you won't get a fixed IP address.  So it's going to be very difficult to connect to the service without another means of determining the current IP address.  I guess maybe if you could use a dyn dns service perhaps it could work.  I'm not sure this is an intended usage of PM's services though, you'd have to look through the terms and services.  If it's against the T&C, you could risk being disconnected.

@Jeremy_M any thoughts on this one? 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Unsure on that specific application, but i know that some users have tried PM sim on some LTE routers and it successfully worked. You can try searching on this community about that to gather more info. If you think your application has the capability then you can give it a try but no guarantee.

Need Help? Let's chat.