cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PM outside Canada.

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Recently traveled out of Canada for a personal visit.

I am sure many people must've adopted the way described below to continue access of PM number. But describing it in case someone new reads it

- Been using fongo app and had a local number on fongo. So before flying out of Pearson airport I forward my PM number to the fongo number. This way all the calls were being diverted to the fongo number.

- fongo app can be accessed through wifi at stopover or destination airports.

- I was in India for a couple of days and bought a local prepaid sim card with a 1 gb data plan. This way was able to access fongo app all the time and continued to receive important calls on my PM number through fongo. Fongo also has a voicemail option. Calling a number in Canada through fongo was also free so did not incur any additional calling charges.

This fix worked well for me and was very cheap compared to buying an international sim card.

But its totally dependent on you getting a local sim card in the destination country.

Hoping this helps people traveling to other countries too.

30 REPLIES 30

Dankaroo

You are right which is why it's a good thing literally everyone in Europe that I know has viber. It's almost as popular as whatsapp there.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dankaroo wrote:

I personally go with a mix of WhatsApp, viber and fongo. What device are you using? I noticed both fongo and WhatsApp are vastly different between android and iOS.

I'm on iOS.  I use those too, where applicable, but WhatsApp is only good for mobile-to-mobile communication, and Viber... well, I haven't used the pay-to-use Viber Out, have you?  Again, without paying for the Viber Out feature, it's strictly mobile-to-mobile as far as I know.

Dankaroo

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@Dankaroo wrote:

Yay Fongo!

Fongo is good.  The only downsides I've identified with Fongo are:

• Porting in or out of Fongo is something like $25 per port.  At least they do ports, but still...
  • Fongo does not do true MMS (inbound MMS vanishes without a trace; outbound at least provides a URL that the recipient can click on to view attachment).
  • Fongo doesn't do hand-offs between cellular data and WiFi (call gets dropped).  Probably not an issue in the context of this thread (i.e. calls while traveling abroad -- therefore most likely in WiFi only), but it's a consideration for other use cases.  Other apps such as TextNow work better, in this regard.

Having said that, I do like/recommend TextNow if the second and third points above are important.  It has tons of ads everywhere, however, but you can pay an annual fee to remove all the ads.  The downside is that you can't port Canadian numbers to TextNow...

I personally go with a mix of WhatsApp, viber and fongo. What device are you using? I noticed both fongo and WhatsApp are vastly different between android and iOS.

CalgaryBen

@Dankaroo wrote:

Yay Fongo!

Fongo is good.  The only downsides I've identified with Fongo are:

• Porting in or out of Fongo is something like $25 per port.  At least they do ports, but still...
  • Fongo does not do true MMS (inbound MMS vanishes without a trace; outbound at least provides a URL that the recipient can click on to view attachment).
  • Fongo doesn't do hand-offs between cellular data and WiFi (call gets dropped).  Probably not an issue in the context of this thread (i.e. calls while traveling abroad -- therefore most likely in WiFi only), but it's a consideration for other use cases.  Other apps such as TextNow work better, in this regard.

Having said that, I do like/recommend TextNow if the second and third points above are important.  It has tons of ads everywhere, however, but you can pay an annual fee to remove all the ads.  The downside is that you can't port Canadian numbers to TextNow...

Dankaroo

Yay Fongo!

Just wanted to add it has

- voicemail features free

- outgoing calls locally based on fongo number free

- texting with other fongo users free

- texting with non-fongo users subscription(not free)

CalgaryBen

@srlawren wrote:

@CalgaryBen yeah sounds like it does not, sadly.  Actually, I just tested and mine is working fine.  I checked my settings in Hangouts Dialer and noted it still had my correct verified # showing, and the option enabled to send that number.  So then I dialed my Fongo number from inside Hangouts and Fingo correctly displayed my number so it appears to be working for me.

Thanks for testing @srlawren!  Good to know.  It's probably like Jenga... as long as you don't touch anything, it'll continue to work.

I just tried the Hangouts Dialer in BlueStacks (Windows-based Android emulator) and got the "disabled for security reasons" message upon dialing out, despite the Outbound Caller ID option being enabled... so basically the result that many users are encountering. 😞  Not sure what version (can't seem to find this info!), but it's the Oct 2018 version in Google Play store...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CalgaryBen yeah sounds like it does not, sadly.  Actually, I just tested and mine is working fine.  I checked my settings in Hangouts Dialer and noted it still had my correct verified # showing, and the option enabled to send that number.  So then I dialed my Fongo number from inside Hangouts and Fingo correctly displayed my number so it appears to be working for me.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen

@srlawren wrote:

start by verifying your phone number: https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3116671?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Then, in Hangouts Dialer, go into your settings (Hamburger menu, Settings), then click on your google account under Account, and use the slider to enable outbound caller ID of your verified phone number: 

Hey @srlawren, does this still work?  In light of  this thread, it seems Hangouts no longer supports outbound caller ID "for security reasons", unless you're able to load an older version (24), at least for Android.  On iOS, version 24.0 is current as of this writing (hasn't changed in the last 4 months), and despite enabling Outbound Caller ID using an Android emulator and seeing "Outbound Caller ID (xxx) xxx-xxxx active" show up momentarily at the bottom of the dialer, it shows the "Outbound Caller ID Not Active .... disabled for security reasons" message upon tapping the call button.

(For anyone about to comment about this being an old thread, I know, but it's a handy Permalinkable resource...)

Lol @TheOldVR
Sorry about that I was on phone tried to send a link but was able too so post a whole thing
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

TheOldVR

@Samianauman LOL - looks like you're another contender for the longest reply ever!

@neo911: I'll stick to my normal recommendation which is to load up Fongo while traveling, it works quite well with some roaming data, a local sim with data, or just WIFI.

Happy travels!

srlawren

My pleasure, @pckku.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pckku
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren Excellent instructions.  Thank you.

srlawren

@pckku wrote:

@srlawren, as per your message: "...The reason is that you can verify your PM phone number by text before you leave Canada (only needs to be done once), and then you can have it send your PM phone number as the outbound caller ID number."  Please tell me how I can make my PM # as the outbound caller ID number? Thank you.

@pckku start by verifying your phone number:  https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3116671?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Then, in Hangouts Dialer, go into your settings (Hamburger menu, Settings), then click on your google account under Account, and use the slider to enable outbound caller ID of your verified phone number:

Screenshot_20170410-114833.png

O ok thx I tried but I was on my phone when I post it so couldn't find a way to send a link that's why buy keep it in mind for future reference thx bro
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

srlawren

@Samianauman you could have just linked to the thread with all those details rather than copying and pasting them all here.  

Here’s how the U.S. Roaming Add-ons work:

All U.S. Roaming Add-Ons will last 10 days. This 10 day period will begin upon payment of the Add-on and will end 10 days after this date.

You can choose an Add-On with just one of the services or a combination. We want to ensure that you only pay for what you need. Keeping this in mind, we are offering a range of U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, all with great value. For example, the U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle works out to just $2/ day for the 10 day period!
U.S. Roaming 10 Day Add-Ons
Details
Price
U.S. Talk Only
· Unlimited Canada Wide & U.S. talk
$8
U.S. Text Only*
· Unlimited global text
$8
U.S. Data Only

· 250 MB data
$10
· 500MB data
$15
· 1GB data
$20
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle*

· Unlimited global text
· No data

$15
U.S. Talk ,Text, Data Bundle*
· Unlimited global text
· 250MB data
$20
*Picture and video messaging are not available, but coming soon!

We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage. Your U.S. coverage will include all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. So, whether you are traveling to the snow-capped mountains in Alaska or to Hawaii’s sunny beaches, we will have you covered. For more details, check out our coverage map here.

Getting U.S. Roaming is easy!
You can purchase the U.S. roaming Add-Ons by either using your online Self Serve account or the automated phone system.

Self Serve account: You will be able to purchase the Add-On in your Self Serve account at publicmobile.ca. After logging in, just select the U.S. roaming Add-On you want, make the payment, and then it will be ready to use.

Automated phone system: You can also purchase your U.S. roaming Add-On using the automated phone system by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC, and following the prompts.
With this exciting announcement, we have put together some anticipated FAQs. If you have any other questions, please post them below.

U.S. Roaming FAQ's

1. What happens after my 10-day U.S. Roaming Add-On expires?
10 days after you purchase your U.S. roaming Add-On, it will automatically expire. If you need another Add-On, you can purchase it the same way you did originally, by using your Self Serve account or calling our automated phone system at 1-855-4PUBLIC.

2. I need more than 1GB of data while roaming. What do I do?
Not a problem. You can buy more than one U.S. roaming Data Add-On if you find you need more data.

3. Can I roam while I am in countries, other than the U.S.?
No. At this time, we only offer roaming in the U.S.

4. I am a Legacy customer and don’t have a Self Serve account. How do I buy an Add-On?
You can purchase an Add-On through our automated phone system by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC. As a Legacy customer, you are also able to purchase the Add-On by calling into our call centre. Remember, you are able to create your own Self Serve account at any time, if you would like to.

5. Why is *611 not working while I am in the U.S.?

We’re working on this! Dialing *611 is not available now, but will be coming soon. In the meantime, you can dial 1-855-4PUBLIC instead.

6. The U.S. Add-On prices in the French automated phone system do not match what is displayed on the French website. What’s up with that?
The U.S. Roaming Add-On prices are only stated incorrectly in our French automated phone system. But, don’t worry, when you select the Add-On you want, the correct price will be charged to your account.

7. I'm in the U.S., and cannot send any text messages. How do I fix this?
Please make sure you've added a roaming Add-On that includes text. You can verify if you did in your Self Serve account.
Make sure your handset settings are enabled for roaming on your device
If you do have a valid roaming Add-On for data, and you cannot use our services, please contact us directly on the Community and we will be happy to assist you. Click here to find out how to contact us.

8. I'm in the U.S. and cannot make any calls. What should I do?
Please make sure you've added a roaming Add-On that includes talk. You can verify if you did in your Self Serve account.
If you do have a valid roaming Add-On for data, and you cannot use our services, please contact us directly on the Community and we will be happy to assist you. Click here to find out how to contact us.
9. I purchased a data Add-On, but my data is not working. How do I get it to work?
Make sure your APN settings are correctly configured. Click here to verify
If you do have a valid roaming add-on for data, and you cannot use our services, please contact us directly on the Community and we will be happy to assist you. Click here to find out how to contact us.

10. Why can't I add a roaming pass to my account?
If you're a legacy customer, you can call our call center by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC.
If you're on a Pick & Pay plan, you can contact us directly on the Community. Click here to find out how to contact us.

11. How do I enable roaming on my Android device?
Open the Settings app.
In the Wireless & Networks section, touch the More item.
Choose Mobile Networks.
Note: On some Android phones, you may have to choose Battery & Data Manager and then Data Delivery.
Remove the check mark by the Data Roaming option.
On some phones, the option is titled Global Data Roaming Access. Choose it and then choose the Deny Data Roaming Access option.
Note: Your phone can still access the Internet over the Wi-Fi connection when it roams. Setting up a Wi-Fi connection doesn’t deplete your data Add-On.

12.How do I enable roaming on my iPhone? (iOS 9.3.5 +)
Touch Settings.
Touch Cellular.
Touch Data Roaming to change the setting (e.g., from on to off).
Data Roaming is now off. Touch Data Roaming again to turn it on.
To switch data off completely, touch Cellular Data.
Data services are now off. Touch Cellular Data again to turn data services on.
Note: Your phone can still access the Internet over the Wi-Fi connection when it roams. Setting up a Wi-Fi connection doesn’t deplete your data add-on.

pckku

@srlawren, as per your message: "...The reason is that you can verify your PM phone number by text before you leave Canada (only needs to be done once), and then you can have it send your PM phone number as the outbound caller ID number."  Please tell me how I can make my PM # as the outbound caller ID number? Thank you.

pckku

I have Google Hangout and Google Dialer installed on my cell phone. I can use the Dialer to call any phone numbers (mobile and landlines) in N. America, as long as free wifi is available. But I cannot receive calls or send texts (texts only sending to another Hangout account) though. PM comes to help with their US Roaming packages. Can anyone please tell me how I can maximize my 10 days package? Will the activation effective instantly the moment I paid for the roaming package? If that is the case, I can call PM when I am at the Cdn airport to purchase before boarding?

Let me try with s6 edge plus if it's work will update u

neo911

@mimmo wrote:

@neo911 I think it was called SMS Forwarder but there are a bunch out there.  just remember for it to work  the phone with the PM sim needs to be on with reception.  

What i did was took out my simcard placed it in my old phone then  activated call forwarding  to fongo and the sms forwarding. kept phone charging and then headed to the airport with no sim in my good phone.

@mimmoI think your idea works better. leave the sim in an old phone in canada itself. SMS forwarder is not available on ios app store. trying to search other apps compatible with iphone

neo911

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

People like fongo because of the fact that they issue a Canadian number.  I don't like the app because the voice quality is on par with two soup cans and a string.  I remain a loyal fan of hangouts.  Voice quality is a lot better than fongo.  We all have google voice numbers and so we don't really care that it is a US number.  It is not like google charges for the call.  The really nice thing about hangouts is that calling can be to a phone number or a google account.  That makes it really convenient.

@will13am most Canadians don't have a Google Voice number.  And even if you do, you can't forward your PM number to a US-based number, so there would be no way to forward your calls to GV.  

That said, @neo911 I do recommend using Hangouts Dialer app for your *outbound* calls.  The reason is that you can verify your PM phone number by text before you leave Canada (only needs to be done once), and then you can have it send your PM phone number as the outbound caller ID number.  This is less confusing than Fongo for outbound calls since people see your actual phone number as the caller ID and know it's you calling.

@srlawrengood idea. tried to enter my PM number but it says 'not allowed on this device' i use an iphone 6. maybe its not compatible with iphone

mimmo

@neo911 I think it was called SMS Forwarder but there are a bunch out there.  just remember for it to work  the phone with the PM sim needs to be on with reception.  

What i did was took out my simcard placed it in my old phone then  activated call forwarding  to fongo and the sms forwarding. kept phone charging and then headed to the airport with no sim in my good phone.

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

People like fongo because of the fact that they issue a Canadian number.  I don't like the app because the voice quality is on par with two soup cans and a string.  I remain a loyal fan of hangouts.  Voice quality is a lot better than fongo.  We all have google voice numbers and so we don't really care that it is a US number.  It is not like google charges for the call.  The really nice thing about hangouts is that calling can be to a phone number or a google account.  That makes it really convenient.

@will13am most Canadians don't have a Google Voice number.  And even if you do, you can't forward your PM number to a US-based number, so there would be no way to forward your calls to GV.  

That said, @neo911 I do recommend using Hangouts Dialer app for your *outbound* calls.  The reason is that you can verify your PM phone number by text before you leave Canada (only needs to be done once), and then you can have it send your PM phone number as the outbound caller ID number.  This is less confusing than Fongo for outbound calls since people see your actual phone number as the caller ID and know it's you calling.

neo911

@mimmonice! i actually faced this problem of not receiving text messages. Which app did you use?

mimmo

just to add to to @neo911 post to take it one step further, i put my PM sim card in an old phone and installed a sms forwarding  to email app. this helped if i ever needed sms verifictions.  for this to work PM sim needs to stay in canada.

neo911

thats a good idea. Even I have google hangouts but I could not find any number where I could fwd my PM calls?

Any idea how do I get to know the number? All I can see is my google id through which it is logged in.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Awesome idea thx for sharing will try if I go overseas in future

Great information

SD08

Thanks for sharing that tip.  Useful for those travelling on a budget.  Robot Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.