cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used up 99mb in one day 😔

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure how this happened.  My plan renewed last week and the very next day it shows I used up 99mb of data.

How is this possible as data saver is on and when I check the apps show restricted use with wifi only.

This is the first time this has happened since I signed up.  Can anyone shed some light on this ?

20 REPLIES 20

Eianz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It feels good to know about Freebies

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite @dabr 

As said on my post on first page. Vancouver Island to Ottawa. Of course you both get it in Mississauga & Pearson Airport as Ottawa is well past that.

I probably should have said anything east of Ottawa to the Maritimes 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20200610_143621.jpg

@Luddite wrote:

@Jb456 FYI: https://www.shaw.ca/internet/wifi

There's a spot 2 blocks from my house in Mississauga.

@Jb456   Just to add to what @Luddite  said, I have been able to connect to Shaw wifi while on a plane waiting for take off at Pearson Airport.

@Jb456 FYI: https://www.shaw.ca/internet/wifi

There's a spot 2 blocks from my house in Mississauga.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

nguifombeoh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great Question 

Dolphin1

I'm using a Motorola phone.

@Dolphin1 

I've had the odd time where I've been kicked off WiFi for no reason and by chance discover I'm not connected. I mostly keep my mobile data off but I try to make a habit off checking my phones settings before I listen to YouTube or download something just in case,

@Dolphin1 glad your husband was able to figure out or investigate. stay safe. If you need extra data you can do a data add on of 1G for 15.00 it does not expire. 

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dolphin1 

@Dolphin1 wrote:

Not sure how this happened.  My plan renewed last week and the very next day it shows I used up 99mb of data.

How is this possible as data saver is on and when I check the apps show restricted use with wifi only.

This is the first time this has happened since I signed up.  Can anyone shed some light on this ?

What phone are you using my iphone SE, seems to use a bit for some reason.

Yes where it's available. Just incase other people on the East read this thread 🙂

@Jb456 wrote:

@LurganIeUk  Shaw go is not from everyone. It Spans Vancouver Island to Ottawa only. Not the East.

Ok Ok it is free for anyone where it is available.

Also I said anyone NOT everyone.  

@LurganIeUk  Shaw go is not free for everyone. It Spans Vancouver Island to Ottawa only. Not the East.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 wrote:

If you are on $15 plan I suggest:

Use Wifi

Know where free Wifi is

Shaw Go has free Wifi for anyone right now

LEAVE DATA TURNED OFF ALL THE TIME

Turn Data on when you want to use it and turn it back off

Turn of wifi assist on iPhone or wifi+ on Android which automatically connects to data when a wifi network is weak.

Also go in your apps one by one and restrict background data.

Google maps restrict to wifi only. You can download offline maps.

Dolphin1

DH figured out the culprit by doing that.  Thanks

Dolphin1

Thanks checked everything and settings were ok.  Maybe I turned on data to send MMS and forgot to turn it off.  This is why I don't like sending MMS as you need to turn on data.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Dolphin1 

You can go into your usage in the self serve overview page. 

Under change plan it says usage. 

It will tell you exactly what the usage was from and you will be able to narrrow down what happened. If you open a video or were looking at a page and a video add came up this could have taken up 99mb. 

Screenshot_20200503_235344.jpg

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Please go to your data usage

Tweak it so it starts on your renewal date

At which app used the most

Check that you are not boosting your WiFi signal with data

@Dolphin1 

99MB is a very small amount of data and can be used up by accident within a few seconds. There's also the possibility that an app may be programmed poorly.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Could you have inadvertantly turned your wifi off? Also check to see which app is the culprit. Wifi assist., if android, developer options, data is always on, turn it off. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.