cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Usa texting

Unfortunately the add ons for USA are only 10 days. Please note when you buy add-on is when the 10 days start. So doo buy in advance until your leaving.

You could as you said change your plan to the $60 plan which will give you calling / text and 2 gigs of data in USA per 30 day cycle.

If you do decide on this plan. You can change plan in your self serve account. IMPORTANT..Take note when you change plan you're given two options...Change now or change on next renewal.

If you select change now. You will be charged right away for new plan and you will loose whatever you paid for current plan..example if Oct 5th was renewal date. You're charged let's say $25 plan. Which means it's good for 30 days from the 5th..but on the 10th you chance to $60 plan you would loose the $25 and be charged the $60 on 10th good  for 30 days from 10th if you select "CHANGE NOW"

The other option nos " CHANGE AT NEXT RENEWAL".....WHICH means if you paid $25 on Oct 5th you have that plan for 30 days then when new payment is due your plan would change to $60 plan and you'd only be charged for the new $60 plan.

Hope that makes sense??

Another option you can look into is "TEXTNOW" Which is an app you download which will give you a Canadian phone number in your area and will allow you to call,text for FREE over wifi.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thankyou, I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to do it only on my renewal date.

thanks for that tip.

now your last paragraph about the app I am not understanding.

if I downloaded this app, could I text  from USA back to Canada from my phone without a WiFi connection.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Lynban the app needs a data connection to text. Also the number will be a new number.
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an older version iPhone. Can I buy a SIM card like you mention and just switch it.

if I do this what happens to the 15.00 plan I am now on with public . Do I just keep it there.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LynbanYou can purchase prepaid AT&T SIM card from any US Walmart. In Canada Roam Mobility is an option but their partner in the states is TMobile which coverage isn't the greatest especially if you don't have the latest and greatest phones.

As for your Public Mobile plan, if you can afford it I would just keep the account active. It is just more convenient and less hassle.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lynban 

No. You need to be connected to wifi to be able to call and text and for people to call you and text.

You will be given a new Canadian number. That you'd give to your friends.

If your not connected to wifi..don't worry... you would get their texts when you do connect to wifi and open the app. They can also leave you a voicemail.

I'd suggest you download it now or in next few days..and play with it to familiarize yourself.

Mayor / Maire

@Lynban wrote:

Thankyou, I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to do it only on my renewal date.

thanks for that tip.

now your last paragraph about the app I am not understanding.

if I downloaded this app, could I text  from USA back to Canada from my phone without a WiFi connection.

The free TextNow app works good to call / text to your CDN or US numbers while you're in USA...but you need a robust wifi connection to do so. Wifi is getting to be widespread now so it's not a bad option.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Lynban wrote:

Ok, I see now I misinterpreted the word international to mean more than it does.

my next trip to USA is for a three month period in January and I only need to be able to text both in USA and back to Canada.

can I get a three month add on plan or do I need the 60.00 plan each month when I only need to be able to text.

I agree with the thought of getting a local SIM. I used H2O once when I was in the states. Pure pay as you go. Buy the SIM for like a dollar and put some money in the pot and you consume it as you use features. (in fact it's how I learned alot about prepaid) Target has them for a starter price of $10 and that's a dollar SIM.

As for your plan here...3 months is cutting it tight. If you're not on autopay then you have 90 days from the end of a paid term until they completely deactivate the account. During that time, your account is suspended so you can't use it. So plan carefully. Then you top-up and start the plan again and you're good to go.

Or just keep paying for a plan you're not using. Up to you.

Mayor / Maire

@Lynban wrote:

I have an older version iPhone. Can I buy a SIM card like you mention and just switch it.

if I do this what happens to the 15.00 plan I am now on with public . Do I just keep it there.

@Lynban  Go to Amazon.ca and search for US prepaid cards.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

All sage advice....hope you don't mind one more opinion chiming in. First do some research on u.s. SIM cards/prepaid plans and coverage in the area you're going to....decide what works for you. Then you're on the $15 plan. Going up to $60 doesn't make sense. Instead choose to keep $15 or on the renewal date closest to your departure preferably after have your plan set up to switch to the $10 plan. With autopay and maybe some referral rewards it will be $8 or less. The day you leave for the u.s. add and choose one of the u.s. add ons. If you mostly text pick that or mostly call pick that and so on...that will give you 10 days to figure out getting your u.s. SIM/plan with a free back up text/call app when you have WiFi. Once you have a u.s. phone number you can change the voicemail on your pm phone updating your u.s. phone number for callers. You could also disable the ability for vm messages by putting it on extended absence and only have callers hear your greeting and new numbers to reach you at via text or calling. This way you will pay $34 for 90 days to maintain your pm account with voice mail and 10 days roaming and $30+? for 90 days of u.s. service plus your free app for back up. U.S. plans are cheaper than ours and if you're good with the $15 plan here you can get a $10 plan there to suit your needs. Altogether $64+tax for 90 days of service both here and there. Near the end change your pm plan back to $15 plan on next renewal. Probably after your return since you'll have at least 50/50 text +call for the transition to your renewal date(a week or so?) This way it keeps your costs down (less than 75cents a day) but keeps you well connected both here and there..