cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming changes with Public Mobile in the very near future?

Hmm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've been hearing some "chatter" and lots of speculation especially since PM isn't participating in the Robelus and Koodo/Virgin promotion.

Is there something significant coming down the pipe, but you can't tell us what...at least not now?

22 REPLIES 22

Hmm

@wetcoasterwrote:

@Hmm wrote:

I've been hearing some "chatter" and lots of speculation especially since PM isn't participating in the Robelus and Koodo/Virgin promotion.

Is there something significant coming down the pipe, but you can't tell us what...at least not now?

No point spreading rumours that you are not able to back up. Watch the announcement section for official statements but don't hold your breath if you are hoping for something fall-promo-2016 style.

Bahawaha. It never was a rumour dude as you know now. Time to change your way of thinking Smiley LOL

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Hmm wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Actually I suspect that true unlimited 3G could be priced almost anywhere up to $100/month and sell out.

I doubt it. 3G is painfully slow as people on Freedom Mobile are quickly finding out.

Just keep in mind that PM's 3G is actually throttled LTE so nothing like Freedom's 3G.

I really wish PM would use something like "LTE Lite" instead of "3G". Even sounds better from a marketing point of view.

Michael77

@Hmm wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Actually I suspect that true unlimited 3G could be priced almost anywhere up to $100/month and sell out.

I doubt it. 3G is painfully slow as people on Freedom Mobile are quickly finding out.

Freedom Mobile has LTE and when I was with them my LTE speed was pretty good. 

Hmm

@Luddite wrote:

Hmm

If we recall last year in November, PM had their shining moment with the $40/4GB pre-paid.

There was no Black Friday promo this year when everyone had something going. PM's focus is giving us slower data (3G). PM plans are becoming progressively worse and the strategy seems to be "less for more".

We all can be optimistic, but my gut tells me should something happen soon, Koodo will be involved.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'll take the telegraph 

Michael77

@Garry wrote:

$50 unlimited 3G data coming soon......... It's the only sensible offering remaining for PM to attract/maintain clients.

Loyalty members will also receive a complimentary Nortel touch-tone home phone! 🤔

Can I please get a rotary phone? 🙂

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

$50 unlimited 3G data coming soon......... It's the only sensible offering remaining for PM to attract/maintain clients.

Loyalty members will also receive a complimentary Nortel touch-tone home phone! 🤔

Michael77

@mimmo,

Yes, I would like Koodo to make better offers to PM customers. Just like the text message offer they made earlier. But the offers would need to be much better.

mimmo

@Michael77 @That is a koodo promotion not a PM one. 

Who knows since lucky and chatr offer 10$ discounts for autopsy for 8 months that might be the next promotion. (Opps discussing other providers deals 😞 ) but we do get other rewards...but over 2 years the 80$ works out to be a wash. 

Michael77

@srlawren wrote:

Anyone expecting PM to offer up a 10gig plan is probably out to lunch.  It makes zero sense for PM (or Chatr or Lucky) to match the offer at the 1st and 2nd teir providers.  Massive data users just aren't in their target market.  PM makes it's niche from (relatively) low-cost, lower data amount plans, and this doesn't fit in well with their offerings.  It's much more suited to the 1st and 2nd tier brands, and that's where it's very likely to stay for the forseeable future.

@srlawren,

No, I don't expect it either.  I would think though that they would come up with a few plans similar to what Rogers is offering their Fido/Chatr prepaid customers to switch to postpaid.

srlawren

Anyone expecting PM to offer up a 10gig plan is probably out to lunch.  It makes zero sense for PM (or Chatr or Lucky) to match the offer at the 1st and 2nd teir providers.  Massive data users just aren't in their target market.  PM makes it's niche from (relatively) low-cost, lower data amount plans, and this doesn't fit in well with their offerings.  It's much more suited to the 1st and 2nd tier brands, and that's where it's very likely to stay for the forseeable future.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Michael77

@mimmo wrote:

Don't forget many of those offers we are not allowed to speak of were for new customers not existing.

I don't need that much data nor do I want to spend more than I currently am on a cellphone.  If the plan you have with pm is not good for your needs then you need to shop around and find the best deal that suits you.

Also as mentioned in other threads i brlieve PM is  a feeder brand whose goal it tk get people to move to koodo and telus once the plans PM offers are not good enough.  

PM will not compete against the bigger brands anymore. It will compete vs lucky and chatr and most likely eventually on 3g only.  Hope I am proven wrong but that is the course of action that makes the most since.

Makes sense. 

I also feel that PM's direct competitors are now Chatr and Lucky. I think that is okay considering PM has a second tier provider (Koodo). You don't want your third tier brand stealing your second tier customers. 

mimmo

Don't forget many of those offers we are not allowed to speak of were for new customers not existing.

I don't need that much data nor do I want to spend more than I currently am on a cellphone.  If the plan you have with pm is not good for your needs then you need to shop around and find the best deal that suits you.

Also as mentioned in other threads i brlieve PM is  a feeder brand whose goal it tk get people to move to koodo and telus once the plans PM offers are not good enough.  

PM will not compete against the bigger brands anymore. It will compete vs lucky and chatr and most likely eventually on 3g only.  Hope I am proven wrong but that is the course of action that makes the most since.

Michael77

@atarijedi wrote:

Both Fido and Koodo have jumped on board the $60/10gb plan that Freedom Mobile started. So now there are 6 providers offering it. 

Freedom Mobile, Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, and Koodo. PM would be stupid not to jump on board, as would Telus for not nudging them, hard, to do it. 

Don't forget Virgin. There's lots of offers out there now. I hope PM/Koodo comes out with something for the PM customers. 🙂

atarijedi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Both Fido and Koodo have jumped on board the $60/10gb plan that Freedom Mobile started. So now there are 6 providers offering it. 

Freedom Mobile, Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, and Koodo. PM would be stupid not to jump on board, as would Telus for not nudging them, hard, to do it. 

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@thymaster wrote:

You're optimism isn't going to change how backward this company runs. You're just going to further feel disappointed when nothing changes. This is the provider that once say they are the champion of loyalty will be rewarded. The only rewards I see are higher prices and backward 3G technology. We're heading into 2018 and they are trying to sell us 3G data that are more expensive then other provider with 4G LTE. You can't disguss other provider's price plan on here either because the staff is triggered by competition. It's time to move forward.

Honestly curious what these better plans for cheaper are that you speak of. Before switching to Public a few weeks ago I did my research and literally EVERY single of the big 3 and their second-tier companies all charge waaaay more for comparable services. The only time there is something that comes close is when these companies have a special, which often come with fine print that it only lasts for 12 months or the like, before the plan price gets boosted back up to the ridiculous norm.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Rumors are just that, rumors and nothing more.  Only the decision makers know what will happen next.  Everybody else can only react.  

Michael77

@Hmm wrote:

@Hmm,

Did you hear anything official? Otherwise it's just more of us guessing the future. Only Telus knows what's next and they do not talk to us out loud. The Future is Friendly! 🙂

thymaster

You're optimism isn't going to change how backward this company runs. You're just going to further feel disappointed when nothing changes. This is the provider that once say they are the champion of loyalty will be rewarded. The only rewards I see are higher prices and backward 3G technology. We're heading into 2018 and they are trying to sell us 3G data that are more expensive then other provider with 4G LTE. You can't disguss other provider's price plan on here either because the staff is triggered by competition. It's time to move forward.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Hmm wrote:

Nor are ChatR and Lucky, the other third tier providers / PM's direct competion. The promos you are referring to are all for post paid plans if I have my facts straight.

No point spreading rumours that you are not able to back up. Watch the announcement section for official statements but don't hold your breath if you are hoping for something fall-promo-2016 style.

Need Help? Let's chat.