cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited Referral Offers PSA

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

This post isn't meant to scare anyone from not using referrals but I just want to make people aware what happens when you use a referral.

So I have had a few members reach out to me about how they received unsolicited referral offers and if they would get their rewards or not.  First off I think unsolicited referral offers not an appropriate message to send (my opinion) I have sent my number to people through a private message when they are looking for one just so you all know I have done that.

So when you use the referral that someone sends you, yes you will get your $10 referral credit within 72 hours but do you know that your number will now show up on your referrers account for as long as you stay with PM?  Not a big deal if you know the person but others do not like giving out their number to strangers and this probably wasn't mentioned to them when the referral was offered.  Again I am not doing this to scare people but recently there has been the issue of people trying to use the Koodo migration offer only to find out that their number was already used and wondering how that happened.  Well there were some people that were mining for Public Mobile numbers and using them, other have used ads via other sites looking for a referral and using that number that way and not saying it has happened hear but that person that sent you the referral offer now has your number and can check to see if it is an active validation code for any future Koodo Migration offer or even sell it for the migration offer.  We must be aware of all this before you use a referral offered and maybe try and converse with the person.

I will use a recent example that shows that not all people offering the referral are really trying to help the new customer.  New customer says they are looking to activate a new account on PM.  A current member send them a private message saying they can get a $10 reward for using their number as a referral, but leaves out the part about how now they will have this new number listed on their account.  This offer is made when a promo is also being offered where the referrer could say hey you know if you activate at a retail location you will get a free sim and a credit of equal value to your plan for your second 30 days and you can still get the $10 referral reward.  Such as this flash promo https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/FLASH-SALE-From-September-29-to-30-Get-... so sure the original offer saved the new member $10 bucks but if you were really trying to help this person out why not mention the promo that could save them anywhere from $30-60 depending on their plan they choose.  

Again just beware of accepting unsolicited or even solicited referrals if you don't know the person that they will have your phone number now and that numbers have been used without the owners knowledge to validate Koodo migration offers and a number is only good for a migration offer once

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

45 REPLIES 45

@Pizzaeh wrote:

In any case it is crazy that Koodo would allow some person to take advantage of a migration offer using just a phone number without verifying other account details.  If that is how it worked, wtf is Koodo thinking?

In general, they don't verify anything.  The cases of people being asked to show the text message or being forced to port the number seem to be isolated.  Some people were even able to activate multiple lines using the same verification phone number.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

Slightly off topic.....if not appropriate, I’ll delete this post. 

I have a Public Mobile number and I’m planning to port in a number from another carrier to use instead of the Public Mobile number, in a few weeks - using up the balance on that other line. If I gave out the Public Mobile number for a referral and it is used for Koodo migration offer, then I port in my number from the other carrier would my now ported in number still be eligible for Koodo migration offers?

Only Koodo really knows how they maintain that list, or if there will be further similar offers in the future.

Also, I have heard some stories that some store employees refuse to allow tbe migration offer unless you port the eligible number in.

In any case it is crazy that Koodo would allow some person to take advantage of a migration offer using just a phone number without verifying other account details.  If that is how it worked, wtf is Koodo thinking?

@Pizzaeh wrote:

I have a Public Mobile number and I’m planning to port in a number from another carrier to use instead of the Public Mobile number, in a few weeks - using up the balance on that other line. If I gave out the Public Mobile number for a referral and it is used for Koodo migration offer, then I port in my number from the other carrier would my now ported in number still be eligible for Koodo migration offers?

Only Koodo really knows how they maintain that list, or if there will be further similar offers in the future.

Also, I have heard some stories that some store employees refuse to allow tbe migration offer unless you port the eligible number in.

Pizzaeh

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure if this is against the terms and conditions but the Public Mobile sub reddit has an automated referral system you can sign up for as a Public Mobile customer or request a referral code as a new customer (thats how I got my $25 limited time promo reward while not knowing anyone on Public Mobile when I signed up). Keep in mind you are getting/giving your number to someone online so there are risks in that but it is an option outside of the community forum.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

That was the whole point of the thread especially during the migration offers where people would go to try and use it only to find out there number had been used.  Not saying it was members here using them for migration offers but it is something the person using the referral should know about.

This could happen on both ends.  The person trying to get the $1 referal credit could have the phone number used for a Koodo offer, or the person collecting the $1 credits could even use the people refered as a list of numbers to get multiple lines on special Koodo offerings (while still keeping the Public Mobile account).

We can debate either way if people should be giving numbers out to strangers to refer these people who they not really know, but the argument could be made is that's how someone is becoming friends with that person.

But yes, absolute understood:  don't give you phone number out unelss you are comfortable doing it, and that someone could be doing it to redeem Koodo offers.

@computergeek541, that and it is against the community terms of service to solicit for financial gain ($1 a month) and personal information (phone number)

2. Use of Information. The information on this Site is for informational purposes only. You agree that you will use the Site and any Content found on the Site solely for your personal, lawful purposes and that you shall not use any information contained in this Site or the links to this Site in any claims, proceedings, suits or actions against PUBLIC MOBILE, its suppliers or affiliates. You may not:

• a. post, upload, publish, display, encode, reproduce, transmit or otherwise distribute and/or disseminate information or material on the Site: constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability; (ii) which is protected by copyright, or other intellectual property right or derivative works thereof, without obtaining permission of the rights holder; (iii) promoting racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual, could be harmful to minors, or harasses or advocates harassment of another person; (iv) which solicits passwords, personal information, funds, goods and/or services or otherwise solicits information for commercial or unlawful purposes (v) that contains advertising;
  • b. engage in any conduct that impersonates any person, licensed professional, business or entity, including PUBLIC MOBILE and our employees and agents;
  • c. otherwise use this Site in a way that is contrary to law or which could adversely impact use of the Site or the Internet by other users including the posting or transmitting of other information or software containing viruses or other disruptive components.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 wrote:

That was the whole point of the thread especially during the migration offers where people would go to try and use it only to find out there number had been used.  Not saying it was members here using them for migration offers but it is something the person using the referral should know about.

This could happen on both ends.  The person trying to get the $1 referal credit could have the phone number used for a Koodo offer, or the person collecting the $1 credits could even use the people refered as a list of numbers to get multiple lines on special Koodo offerings (while still keeping the Public Mobile account).

We can debate either way if people should be giving numbers out to strangers to refer these people who they not really know, but the argument could be made is that's how someone is becoming friends with that person.

But yes, absolute understood:  don't give you phone number out unelss you are comfortable doing it, and that someone could be doing it to redeem Koodo offers.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@computergeek541

Sorry that is incorrect

When you change your number it ONLY shows the old number

(or sometimes the number even gets blanked out, I have seen many times it says 5 refers but only lists 2 numbers under details)

If you had 555-555-1234

And changed to 555-555-1235

It won't show the *1235

UNLESS

This has been recently fixed?

(as this led to MANY phantom referal credits, where Person B ended up getting free refer credits from Person A so Public was paying out double credits)

Thanks for the info.  I did not know that when it comes to someone who changes a phone number. I don't think many people realize that the person receiving the $1 per 30 days credit will be able to see the other person's phone number. 

@kav2001c wrote:

@computergeek541

Sorry that is incorrect

(or sometimes the number even gets blanked out, I have seen many times it says 5 refers but only lists 2 numbers under details)

If you had 555-555-1234

It won't show the *1235

UNLESS

(as this led to MANY phantom referal credits, where Person B ended up getting free refer credits from Person A so Public was paying out double credits)

Thanks for the info.  I did not know that when it comes to someone who changes a phone number. I don't think many people realize that the person receiving the $1 per 30 days credit will be able to see the other person's phone number. 

@computergeek541

Sorry that is incorrect

If you had 555-555-1234

It won't show the *1235

UNLESS

@computergeek541 wrote:

just your phone number - nothing else

Yes, your ported number will show on the other person's account, or any other phone number that you change to on this same account.

@GiantSeat wrote:

When I use a referral, besides my phone number, what else will the referrer see?  Do they see my name?

What happens if I port in a number, will they see that new that number?

just your phone number - nothing else

Yes, your ported number will show on the other person's account, or any other phone number that you change to on this same account.

GiantSeat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I use a referral, besides my phone number, what else will the referrer see?  Do they see my name?

What happens if I port in a number, will they see that new that number?

@ShawnC13

Not true

Many exchanges do not offer from 0000 to 9999

(eg so someone familiar with system could reasonably know that 0000 to 7999 is only landlines and 8000 to 9999 is only cell phones)

Also remember some number combinations are always blocked (reserved or simply not allowed)

So for someone who knows how system works it is alot easier

As well common sense / social engineering says try obvious patterns (eg 8888) before seemingly random ones (eg 8614) since most people try to get "easy" numbers

@ShawnC13 wrote:

For every 3 digit prefix there is 10,000 possible 4 digit combinations.  Not sure how easy typing in 10,000 combinations is

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

It's also only a dollar per 30 days. Why should people expend any effort to recruit for such a low compensation?

Volume volume volume. If the recruiter snags a whole lot of them then they can basically be making money or getting the top of the line service for free.

I think you're missing my point. I need to recruit 39 people to get my plan cost to zero. If everyone of them took the $10 plan, how much is PM getting compared to what they give me? Not worth the effort to recruit in my book.

So what is your plan value and then what would that cost you with another provider?  Don't try and say the PM doesn't reward people.  Our lower cost plans is quite a reward to start with

Not sure where I said that PM doesn't reward you, nor did I say that others were better, which would be the straw man I was referring to. There is no rule against unsolicited referrals was my point and that it's encouraged by the low pay out. Why do a sales job for a company that pays little? If I get a referral, great. If not, I'm not expending any effort beyond answering questions about the service. That point seems to have flown over  yours and @Anonymous heads. Perhaps try some reading comprehension, or should I walk you through that as well?

I see that you don't expend much effort answering questions and that is fine.  There are people that do spend the time in here and get requests for referrals and that is a little bonus I guess for spending the time in here so why would those who just send a private message hey use my number for a referral get rewarded for an unsolicited message that is all I am saying.  As for your last comment not sure why you had to take it in that direction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Karnbot13 wrote:

Not sure where I said that PM doesn't reward you, nor did I say that others were better, which would be the straw man I was referring to. There is no rule against unsolicited referrals was my point and that it's encouraged by the low pay out. Why do a sales job for a company that pays little? If I get a referral, great. If not, I'm not expending any effort beyond answering questions about the service. That point seems to have flown over  yours and @Anonymous heads. Perhaps try some reading comprehension, or should I walk you through that as well?

@Karnbot13:

1. I'm not sure how they would control/enforce unsolicited referrals. Rule or not.

2. If people wish to spend their time doing "a sales job" then that's their prerogative. You don't think it's worth your time. Fine. No one cares. This is not a point being lost on anyone. This is a comprehension of "the other" that is apparently being lost on you. We get it. You don't think it's worth it. Why go to the effort of denigrating others that might wish to scrape a few dollars here and there. If you're so rich and so busy (what are you doing here then) that you can't be bothered well good on you. Others may not be. And to save a few dollars here and there actually might mean something. You probably don't return your bottles that you paid a deposit for either. Fine. Again. No one cares how splendid you might be. Get over yourself.

Your snark is entirely un-called for.

Karnbot13

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

It's also only a dollar per 30 days. Why should people expend any effort to recruit for such a low compensation?

Volume volume volume. If the recruiter snags a whole lot of them then they can basically be making money or getting the top of the line service for free.

I think you're missing my point. I need to recruit 39 people to get my plan cost to zero. If everyone of them took the $10 plan, how much is PM getting compared to what they give me? Not worth the effort to recruit in my book.

So what is your plan value and then what would that cost you with another provider?  Don't try and say the PM doesn't reward people.  Our lower cost plans is quite a reward to start with

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I don't think there's a totally safe method.  What is important to keep in mind is that this is refer a friend, not refer a victim.  There needs to be an element of mutual respect and trust that can't be built into a string of alpha numeric characters.  

Great post.  Yes it is to reward you for bringing people to the service not messaging people saying use my number.  Why should on reward you for that

It's also only a dollar per 30 days. Why should people expend any effort to recruit for such a low compensation? I suppose there is a risk and people should be aware of it but saying that it isn't right, goes both ways. You want me to recruit, then pay me properly. Public mobile makes minimum 10 times what they give me for recruitment, so the house always wins. That's good business for them, not so much for me

If you don't like the reward don't do it it is that easy.  They are providing The service if course they are going to make the money.  So like others have said if you don't like the reward payout you don't need to do anything, just don't try and get the reward for actually doing nothing

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Karnbot13 wrote:

I value my time much differently that you do, it would seem. I'm well aware of what this and other services offer, no need to bring up that strawman argument, thanks. Already have the autopay, loyalty, etc, enabled. Beyond that, the dollar a month compensation per recruit isn't worth expending ANY effort to receive. If someone wants to use my number, great, if not, I'm not doing PM's work for them. They don't save me THAT much money. Clear now?

If your time is so immensely valuable and important then what are you doing here?

The context of the thread is about people sending unsolicited messages to others to get referral dollars. No one is saying they're getting rich here. We're all completely aware that at the end of the day it's a few measly dollars we get to keep in our jeans and that the company is making much more. We. All. Know. That.

This is no strawman. I completely get YOUR point that referrals aren't worth your oh so valuable time to put in any effort for them. That's plain as day. And obvious.

I have no referrals. Some have quite a handful. However we all choose to engage in this place of many options to save a few bucks is our business. None or some or all. It is indeed your opinion that the referrals aren't worth any effort from you. Oh look. Your choice. Others will enthusiastically sell the place to friends and family. Particularly when there are 2-sided credit promos for referring someone. Still others will cast a net to see if anyone will bite and get a few bucks off of them here and there.

Thus...in answer to your original question of why...why not? It's found money.

Karnbot13

@Anonymous wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

So what do all the other providers offer in the way of "compensation"? Participating on their forums? Recruiting other customers? Automatic renewals? Loyalty?

Chatr has bonus extra data for autopay. Sure that could be of value to some. No other rewards. And they have zones.

Lucky has a short term autopay reward. No other rewards. And they have zones.

Koodo has a substantial one-time referral reward for each referral but they say it could be upwards to 2 months to receive. They also have a 10% of your base plan autopay. And $20 total activation bonus after 3 months. No other rewards.

Virgin has a 10% autopay as well. No other rewards.

(I just looked at prepaid and 2nd and 3rd tier providers)

So really...of course the house wins. But at least they all have something for the customer and PM has more potential for Rewards. Does it mean you'll just not do anything because it's not worth your while and that the house will make more?

Yes in your case you would need 39 referrals. But you can also participate even just a little here and get a few more bucks. And have autopay. And a buck each year for your loyalty. Then you wouldn't need as many referrals.

Nobody else is doing all that.

The referrals are almost no work. The autopay no work. The loyalty no work. Yeah y'gotta work a little for the forum.

I value my time much differently that you do, it would seem. I'm well aware of what this and other services offer, no need to bring up that strawman argument, thanks. Already have the autopay, loyalty, etc, enabled. Beyond that, the dollar a month compensation per recruit isn't worth expending ANY effort to receive. If someone wants to use my number, great, if not, I'm not doing PM's work for them. They don't save me THAT much money. Clear now?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Karnbot13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

So what do all the other providers offer in the way of "compensation"? Participating on their forums? Recruiting other customers? Automatic renewals? Loyalty?

Chatr has bonus extra data for autopay. Sure that could be of value to some. No other rewards. And they have zones.

Lucky has a short term autopay reward. No other rewards. And they have zones.

Koodo has a substantial one-time referral reward for each referral but they say it could be upwards to 2 months to receive. They also have a 10% of your base plan autopay. And $20 total activation bonus after 3 months. No other rewards.

Virgin has a 10% autopay as well. No other rewards.

(I just looked at prepaid and 2nd and 3rd tier providers)

So really...of course the house wins. But at least they all have something for the customer and PM has more potential for Rewards. Does it mean you'll just not do anything because it's not worth your while and that the house will make more?

Yes in your case you would need 39 referrals. But you can also participate even just a little here and get a few more bucks. And have autopay. And a buck each year for your loyalty. Then you wouldn't need as many referrals.

Nobody else is doing all that.

The referrals are almost no work. The autopay no work. The loyalty no work. Yeah y'gotta work a little for the forum.

Karnbot13

@Anonymous wrote:

@Karnbot13 wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Karnbot13 wrote:

Karnbot13

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I don't think there's a totally safe method.  What is important to keep in mind is that this is refer a friend, not refer a victim.  There needs to be an element of mutual respect and trust that can't be built into a string of alpha numeric characters.  

Great post.  Yes it is to reward you for bringing people to the service not messaging people saying use my number.  Why should on reward you for that

It's also only a dollar per 30 days. Why should people expend any effort to recruit for such a low compensation? I suppose there is a risk and people should be aware of it but saying that it isn't right, goes both ways. You want me to recruit, then pay me properly. Public mobile makes minimum 10 times what they give me for recruitment, so the house always wins. That's good business for them, not so much for me

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It would be safer if PM or Koodo go back old systems with Text Offer not allow to do online the Offer,must do at store, then no more hack PM # my 2 cents

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Wonder_why wrote:

How can be safer LOL there are generate codes out there and the ppl sell at BST forums, who don't have PM #

Yes there are number generators that is why we should be using a link like koodo does

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Actually I don't really mind the using  tel numbers it kind of keeps people from not posting their referal off social media etc.  And keeps the list to "friends and family"

Maybe if pm blocked out some of the digits in the referal list  ie 25******15

ute1978

@szymon247 wrote:

Another major point for PM to switch to referral codes instead of numbers.

Exactly THIS!

Need Help? Let's chat.