cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking and networks... Wind vs Public Mobile

thomask
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So currently Im using a samsun S3 that is on telus/koodo and locked.  Fortunately I seem to have been able to use it the last year and Im loving PM.

Now, I have a chance at a moto g phone, I would just need to repair it HOWEVER its on wind, and is locked.

Will I need to unlock the moto g for use on PM/Telus networkd or is it already compat ?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

@computergeek541 most Moto phones were sold unlocked regardless of carrier

Remember at one point Google owned them so same as the Nexus/Pixel line

@computergeek541 wrote:

While never advertised as such, Wind's Motorola phones have been sold unlocked out of the box.  There have been multiple reports of this for the older models suvh as the first generation Moto G.  I can also personaly confirm that the Moto G 3rd Generation was also sold unlocked out of the box.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

While never advertised as such, Wind's Motorola phones have been sold unlocked out of the box.  There have been multiple reports of this for the older models suvh as the first generation Moto G.  I can also personaly confirm that the Moto G 3rd Generation was also sold unlocked out of the box.

Yeppers, I bought a first-gen Moto G and then a Moto X Play from Wind/Freedom and both came unlocked. 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Be careful, Wind (Freedom) may not unlock the phone unless you are their customer.  There have been reports of Bell not playing ball if you left them before getting the unlock code.  Best to contact Freedom and confirm. 

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @thomask;

You would need to get the Moto G unlocked, since Wind is not part of the Telus familly.

However, based on recent changes made in the cell phone regulations, I believe Wind is obliged to unlock it for free.

Need Help? Let's chat.