cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited streaming data

taylor7787
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Reading through recent threads I noticed people say they are not as interested in unlimited data but would rather higher caps. I am often in the states and notice that some carriers offer unlimited audio streaming data, meaning that if you are using your phone for streaming music with spotify/google play that will not count toward your data cap. I do not recall seeing this in canada as of yet. Does anyone know if this is available with any carriers?

42 REPLIES 42

Kaiyo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker I'm saying to offer the option of it. It doesn't harm you in anyway if they offer it. No carrier offers unlimited data in Canada except for Freedom but at capped speeds after your allotment. 

@taylor7787 Even Google Maps can download areas for offline navigation.

For me, video on a small screen isn’t worth streaming via cellular data.  I have 4GB / 30day average, and I simply don’t use it.  I’m a month in, and have barely used 1.5 GB or my 12 GB total.

Maybe I’m not a huge mobile data user, but I just can’t justify the costs of cellular data, versus a home internet package with unlimited downloads at a reasonable speed and price.

I’m also not the target audience for the plans in the US, where much like in Canada, family plans get you better prices, the more services you have.  Why should I pay $70 for a T-Mobile plan for unlimited service, when I would never use it?

Kaiyo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If they can have unlimited data with calling/text etc in the US for $40 (with family plan, 4 users at $40/ea) there's no reason why that can't happen here. I mean Bell, Rogers, Telus wireless carriers are the most profitable compared to other developed country.

@stonechucker why wouldn't you want unlimited data an option (or even the only option)? would be better for everyone if the price is reasonable. 

photosbydan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I agree with you, data doesn't need to be unlimited. 

You're right, you can download spotify music on wifi, if you have the foresight to do so. I'm not aware of other services like youtube, instagram, facebook, or other data heavy apps downloading content. I even use a lot of data with google maps!

I too had Wind, and agree the throttled data was absolutely terrible and unreliable. I'd just like to see some higher data plans (at a higher cost, naturally) that'll offer say 6, 8, or 10gb a month.

In the case of Videotron, I recall looking at their plans, and the unlimited music streaming was open to about 30 different services, including all the big ones.  No data usage usage, on top of 4 or 6 GB plans.

Fido and Rogers have offered multiple month and/or years for apps such as Spotify, MLB, NHL, and other services also, if you buy certain packages / combos / etc... Totally a form of anti-neutrality.

The communication companies in Canada, and the rest of the world need to understand that the internet is more a required service, rather than a luxury now.

@photosbydan

There is no reason to increase data limits, let alone go to unlimited on cellular services.  Streaming services in many cases, have the ability to download content for a period of time, so you don’t need to always stream your media.  In fact, Spotify is one such service.

i strea, via WiFi at home, and use offline mode in Spotify when doing activities when I don’t have access to WiFi.

Get a Home internet package of a reasonable price, speed, and most of them now have unlimited download.  In Ontario, don’t even look at Bell, way too expensive for garbage, if you can’t get above ADSL 5 service.

i pay about $100 for communication and entertainment services per month.  Unlimited cellular data if it were available would be a waste of at least $60/month at usable speeds.

i had unlimited, but highly throttled cellular data when I was with Wind.  I never want to rely on that data for anything.

photosbydan

Net neutrality is great, and it isn't fair for carriers to pick and choose what services they want to allow more of.

That said, overall data allowances must be increased in the future. With Spotify, Youtube, Instagram, and so on... it's quite easy to burn through data quickly.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yup. That should be a no go if you're a fan of net neutrality. Providers shouldn't be playing favourites with what they will and will not count towards data caps. 

Bell used to have something like this too.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree.

What @mattdxb said is correct. It would go against net neutrality. I think it was Videotron, who offered unlimited music streaming, that was quickly taken away by the CRTC

I think T mobile in the states did the same thing, but unlimited data for Pokemon go one year ago. Not sure what came out of that

mattdxb

I believe it was offered on certain carriers but for a specific music service at one point. The CRTC decided that giving preferential treatment to certain types of traffic is a no-no. 

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure what the carriers in the US were doing the same thing. That they were doing this for specific services like Spotify but not necessarily doing it for everyone else. Now, if they did it for all types of audio services regardless.... I don't know if that will happen. I suppose that would still fall under net neutrality 

Need Help? Let's chat.