cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited streaming data

taylor7787
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Reading through recent threads I noticed people say they are not as interested in unlimited data but would rather higher caps. I am often in the states and notice that some carriers offer unlimited audio streaming data, meaning that if you are using your phone for streaming music with spotify/google play that will not count toward your data cap. I do not recall seeing this in canada as of yet. Does anyone know if this is available with any carriers?

42 REPLIES 42

@Kaiyo

When you have fullspeed data for the first part of your plan, AND THEN it is throttled back because you have downloaded your CAPPED data quota, any further data download is slower, thus limiting the data you can get by redusing the speed.

Now I'm done with this thread, because you simply don't understand.  I'm sorry to disagree with you, however I am right.

Kaiyo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Limited (throttle) Speed =/= limited Data

"...throttling data speeds are both ways to limit an unlimited plan."

lol pretty much saying since you can never reach unlimited data, it's not unlimited. 

@ckl,, at home on my ISP, I’ve agreed to an up to 30 Mbps download speed, and generally, it’s always at or just below that speed.  Sure, I could ask for more, but I know the speed I’m get, and they do not throttle it down on me, no matter how much data I use.

Conversly, when I was with Freedom, I had a 3 GB cap at whatever full speed was, and any so-called unlimited data after the cap was slowed down.  Meaning, for the rest of my month, I would not have the same rate of data coming to my device, therefore data downloads were essentially not unlimited.

if you download a stream of data 24/7 for the entire month at regular speed, you can not download the same amount of data at a throttled speed, thus, capping Data downloads, and throttling data speeds are both ways to limit an unlimited plan.

i don’t know how else to explain this.  I’m dropping out of this conversation now.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

maybe in another 5 - 10 years we will get unlimited data.

Michael77

No problem. Sometimes it helps to clarify. 🙂

taylor7787

Ah in that case then yes, I understand. I thought you meant something a little different

Michael77

Right. But if your plan is 100mps download and you are getting that speed then you are getting what you paid for. You are not being throttled to a lower speed. The best way to check is to plug the ethernet cable from the computer directly into the modem. People are complaining that they are getting 25mps when they should get 100mps. Most of the time there's a reason for it and it's not your provider.

taylor7787

That is still throttled. Plugging in to the router may give you the 100 mbps but that 100 mbps is the speed you are throttled to

Michael77
From Rogers:

How To Optimize your Internet Speed and Wi-Fi

To ensure that you have the smooth and fast experience you want, you need to choose an internet package that offers enough speed to support all the devices in your home that are online at the same time. Also keep in mind that unless you’re connected through an Ethernet cable, your Rogers Wi-Fi modem delivers the internet to your laptop, tablet or smartphone through Wi-Fi, for which performance can vary based on building materials, layout for your home, interference or congestion from other electronics, and many other factors. Optimizing your Wi-Fi doesn’t have to be complicated, here are a few tips:

1. First rule out issues with your file sources: Not all websites, games or apps are created equal. Try a few different selections to make sure it’s not your file source that’s stalled. Restarting your computer also might just solve the issue.

2. Next, try connecting your device to each of your two home Wi-Fi networks: The newest Rogers Wi-Fi modems support dual-band connectivity meaning they generate two Wi-Fi networks at the same time—one for the 2.4 GHz band (network) and one for the 5 GHz band (network). By default both networks will be named the same but the 5 GHz network will have “5G” added to the end of the name. When you check for available Wi-Fi networks on your laptop, tablet, or smartphone, try connecting to the 5 GHz network if it appears (may not be supported by older devices). Run your video, app, or download, then switch to the 2.4 GHz network and do it again to compare performance.

• 2.4 GHz offers greater range but slower speeds ideal for browsing.
      • 5 GHz offers faster speeds great for HD video streaming, but at closer range to the modem. This band is less commonly used by electronic devices so it also offers the advantage of less signal interference.
      • Learn more about dual-band Wi-Fi.

3. Unplug your Rogers modem and any additional network gear you might have (i.e. extra Wi-Fi routers or switches) for 10 seconds, then plug them back in. It may take a few minutes for everything to come back online but a reboot triggers the modem to re-scan the Wi-Fi environment and optimizes connectivity for the current state.

4. Try relocating your device or your modem to allow for better Wi-Fi signal broadcasting. While brick or concrete walls, metal doors, and aluminum studs are factors that are unlikely to change, since your modem was originally installed the addition or relocation of electronics and other items by you or surrounding neighbours (especially in townhomes or high rise buildings) may mean your modem is no longer in an optimal spot. Items that can affect Wi-Fi signal interference or congestion include the following:

• Cordless phones, baby monitors, or wireless speakers
      • Enabled Bluetooth devices, especially in tablets and smartphones where Bluetooth and Wi-Fi share an antenna
      • Microwave ovens
      • Garage door openers
      • Fish tanks (water)
      • Mirrors

Giving six inches of “breathing” room around the modem (or router if used) or slightly elevating it may also help.

1. Adding Wi-Fi extenders or additional access points to provide additional range. This may allow for more complete coverage for bigger homes or various home layouts.

2. Finally, consider whether it may be time to upgrade your device. No matter how fast your modem, your Internet service, or your Wi-Fi, your connectivity reflects the capabilities of the device you’re using. So if streaming is fast on your new tablet but slow on an old laptop, newer technology may be the deciding factor to your connectivity speed. Not sure if your device is optimal?

Michael77

I always get the full speed or more when I plug my computer directly into the modem.

taylor7787

That was one of the most uninformed things I have read in a while. 

I have yet to see Home Internet that isn’t throttled. Ever wonder how you can call your internet provider and change your internet speed from 15 mbps to 25 mbps and they can do it without an appointment but rather by the click of a button?

Michael77

@ckl,

Normally the home internet speed isn't throttled.  The problem is usually with the phone or home computer. You will need a newer computer or device to get the top wifi speeds. The best way to know for sure is to plug your computer directly into the modem and do a speed test. It should be around 100mps.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stonechucker

unlimited has nothing to do with speed.

I have unlimited home internet. But my speed is 25Mbps. Are you saying that I don't have unlimited because I'm not running at the top speed (which the provider says is 100mbps)?

See? My home internet is throttled right off the bat because I'm not getting 100mbps... I'm throttled at 1/4 of the speed. Whether that is right off the bat or several GB's into the future is irrelevant.

This is why nobody has attempted to sue the big 3 over this "unlimited" issue.

The other thing about "unlimited" is that when it is offered, consumers will abuse the hell out of it.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stonechucker wrote:

Unlimited, but capped to a limit for full speed, then throttled is not unlimited data.

Sorry, I have to disagree with that. Yeah, I know, it sucks for throttled data but theoretically, if you have time, you can still download unlimited amounts of data at that throttled speed.

Unlimited data means data that does not have a limit. There is nothing in those words that mention the speed at which the data is supplied to you.

Kaiyo

just like if my internet is slow for a bit or w.e youtube/netflix starts at 480p for a several seconds and then jumps to 720p/1080p? 

They start you at 480p video... throttled quality.

Kaiyo

i'm looking at AT&T and T-Mobile. they don't throttle

They throttle your video and music streams right off the bat.

Kaiyo

@stonechucker where do you see throttle? 

Mobile hotspot? that's if you share your data with another device. if you share data over 10 or 15gb it's throttled for the hotspot. 

But the states all throttle!  Haven’t you read the link I put up?

Kaiyo

"Apples and oranges dude.  Unlimited applies to both speed and data in a fair and reasonable world.

You limit the speed, you can get the same amount of data.  It’s a simple concept.  I learned this in grade 2."

So what you're saying is unlimited isn't really unlimited because you will never reach unlimited

But anyways, I'm asking for unlimited with no throttle like in the states

No, this is still wrong.

The speeds are the same for the first X GB of data.

in a truly unlimited system, the remaining data (an infinite amount) would be downloaded at the same speed as the X GB were.  In a throttled environment, yes it would take longer, and by making it slower, you will never be able to download the same amount of data.

@stonechucker wrote:

Apples and oranges dude.  Unlimited applies to both speed and data in a fair and reasonable world.

You limit the speed, you can get the same amount of data.  It’s a simple concept.  I learned this in grade 2.

Just think about filling two cups that are the same size, with one cup filling up faster than the other. In the end, the same amount of water will be in both cups, just one fills up faster than the other. Real world example, watching a youtube video on 3G, and LTE. The LTE video will load faster than the 3G, but the 3G and the LTE use the same amount of data regardless 

Apples and oranges dude.  Unlimited applies to both speed and data in a fair and reasonable world.

You limit the speed, you can not get the same amount of data.  It’s a simple concept.  I learned this in grade 2.

Edit:  Autocorrect struck again.  Added NOT to second sentence to correct my statement.

Kaiyo

@stonechucker

What do you mean? it is unlimited

"Unlimited video at standard definition (typically 480p) by default, but high definition streaming can be toggled on.

Unlimited high-speed data for everything else."

sprint is just saying "video at standard definition (typically 480p) by default, but high definition streaming can be toggled on." to make themself look better.

Edit:
regarding throttle, it's unlimited data, the speed is the limit, the data is still unlimited. 

No @Kaiyo, throttled is not unlimited.  You can not download content at the same speed, as your non-throttled data.  This is a restriction, a limit.  Not unlimited.

I found this link on the Sprint website, showing what the 4 major national wireless companies are charging in the US, and the specific restrictions they impose.

As you will see, these plans are not unlimited.  This is exactly what would happen in Canada, if the Big 3 started this here.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-cell-phone-plan.html?INTNAV=TopNav:Shop:UnlimitedPlan...

Kaiyo

@stonechucker It's just like home internet it used to have data caps. Now, a couple years ago they started to have plans with unlmited data at a fairly reasonal price with the speed you get. We should be demanding unlimited data at a reasonal price, it would also bring down the price of the plans with data cap. But instead the big three instead increases the price every year, when the prices should be going down.

Even though it's throttle it's unlimited. If you use it 24/7 and you don't get cut off or get charged extra, it's unlimited, sure it's (a lot) slower (and Freedom has frequencies that also don't penetrate walls as well) it is still unlimited.

Unlimited, but capped to a limit for full speed, then throttled is not unlimited data.

@Kaiyo, that’s the problem... the price wouldn’t be reasonable.  Look at the folks who have come to Public Mobile with their spouse, boyfriend and girlfriend, small families, etc....

Using your example, an individual would be paying through the nose for an unlimited plan, couples less so, but only until you get to 4 devices, are the costs reasonable.  I know people who still don’t use data, both my parents for instance, so if I was to signup them, myself and my sister on the unlimited packages,  we’d  be wasting money.

Need Help? Let's chat.