cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Unlimited Data

What do you guys think about the new plans which are available from the main carrier. 

Telus/Rogers/Bell offer 10/15 GB of Data LTE then they throtle the speed at 3G. 

Wondering what will happen wiht Public Since this guys they don't move forward with absolutley no competition promotion.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Unlimited Data

Isn't the speed for those plans when you hit the cap much slower than 3g?  I thought I read somewhere  that it was basically old school dial up speed. Now if they could make it so that your phone made the modem sound when you hit the cap, that would be pretty funny.

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It is interesting that they limit speeds. Although with a lot of guys I talk to who have the high speed big package plans, they never seem to get even close to hitting their plan limits with the high speed. So really the question in my mind is how much higher speed do we need to go at this point. Do we need to get the point with phones that shaw has gotten with home internet? I'm not sure, although I'm at the point where I'm still resisting joining the crowd that gets loads of data for their phone, while wifi is so readily available almost everywhere. If we are taking this conversation to a philisophical level, perhaps we should ask what value there is in having phones for more than maps and calling and texting. Some may say it is valuable to not need to carry around a laptop everywhere, but in my mind, the convenience of phones may provide too much convenience. I'll leave the conversation at that though since it has gotten far from your initial question.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Isn't the speed for those plans when you hit the cap much slower than 3g?  I thought I read somewhere  that it was basically old school dial up speed. Now if they could make it so that your phone made the modem sound when you hit the cap, that would be pretty funny.

@kelvarnsen you are correct, it is far from "3G" speeds.  I saw a few articles on Mobilesyrup claiming it was 3G speeds but it's slow.  To put it in perspective, Public Mobile's "3G" speed data plans are throttled at 3Mbps, which is actually quite a bit slower than actual 3G (HSPA/HSPA+) is capable of to begin with.  No when you look at these "unlimited" plans from the big 3, they re signficiantly slower.  Telus is throttling to 512Kbps, which is 0.5Mbps, or one sixth the speed of PM's "3G" plans.  The situation is even worse with Bell and Roger's version of the plan, which throttles to 256Kbps, which is 0.25Mbps, or one twelth Public Mobile's 3G speeds.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@kelvarnsen @wrote:

That is an exaggeration.  Dial up never got close to 256Kbps or 512Kbps.  High speed internet started at about 1Mbps about 20 years ago in a lot of places.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@kelvarnsenold POTS top out at 56.6 on a good day.. 256Kbps and 512Kbps is ISDN speeds. It is not great and not usable if you are streaming youtube, but paying bills, stock buying, reading CBC, it is more than enough especially using apps since most apps these days the content is already on the device.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Freedom has a package that is 3 GB at full speed, then 6.5 GB at '3G Speeds' for around $50.  This is the only carrier I know of that has the throttled data after the full speed down to 3G Speeds...

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Honestly I would love this. I barely use 10MB of my 1GB, rare times I might hit 250MB just because I use the data only when I have no Wifi and must do something online (usually for work.) Like rare items in video games, I tend to hoard the best ones so I can use them later, then finish the game without ever using them. I tend to never use my data just because I want to ensure I have something when I need it. Often times I would love to be able to go online, maybe kill some time in a waiting room helping out on the PM forums or something, but I don't want to use data for that. If I had unlimited even at dialup speeds I would be able to use my data more freely without the fear that one day work will need me to do something and I won't have a network connection available to me. I mean yes, I could buy a data add-on or a higher tier package and live without concern, but those data packages are very cost prohibitive for me and with wifi being so common I doubt I would even use the extra data. I'd like it as a safety net though.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I reached my nominal data limit while travelling through the States using a T-Mobile plan. I'm assuming something similar happens in Canada. Here's what happened

to me once I reached my data limit and was throttled:

Before throttling I could easily listen to Stitcher while driving and use Googlemaps Once I reached my limit, Stitcher was way too slow to be useful. However, Googlemaps still worked, just a lot slower.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Psygineer wrote:

Honestly I would love this. I barely use 10MB of my 1GB, rare times I might hit 250MB...

You must have meant 100Mb not 10Mb. 5 pictures and you’re probably done for the month with 10 Mb!

Terry