cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Unlimited Data? Or better add on options šŸ™„

nicolepavicia
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So Iā€™ve been with Public Mobile pretty much consistently since December 2011. I say ā€œpretty muchā€ because Iā€™ve switched to different companies at LEAST 3x looking for SPECIFICALLY better priced DATA!!! When I became a PM customer in Dec 2011, I was MORE than happy with their plans because it was literally just unlimited everything and that was that. Obviously I know things have CHANGED quite a bit since then, and also Telus bought PM. Long story short, Iā€™ve changed companies 3 different times in the last 2.5 years simply because I kept running out of data & either spending money I LITERALLY could NOT afford, on data add ons (I mean $10 for 200 lousy MB and an OUTRAGEOUS $30 for 1GB?!? Thatā€™s highway robbery!!!). I know thereā€™s quite a bit of competition, but Iā€™m not sure why you guys canā€™t a least, if ANYTHING, make your data add on options more affordable - if not giving customers the option of choosing to pay for unlimited data or a set amount. With the amount of streaming, app updates and way of communication nowadays, 1GB or even 4GB tend to go pretty quickly, especially if youā€™re not living in a place with wifi. 

Just saying, I know PM is a reliable company with good reception and pretty reliable customer service for being all done online, make PM the BEST company by changing either the amount of data available for purchase or the prices &/or options for data add ons. 

šŸ˜Š

PS: Sorry if this post seems a bit repetitive, lol, Iā€™m tired and itā€™s late, Iā€™m not bothering to proofread!

19 REPLIES 19

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle RetraitƩ

@Shutdown  I guess one of the issues of when old threads are brought back is they might contain some outdated info. 

I'm going to leave the number as is as it was correct when posted. 

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen ModĆØle

@mimmo Koodo is actually $100/gb. The big 3 jacked it up to $100/gb quietly.

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen ModĆØle

srlawren

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

Heres the link showing that Rogers is offering unlimited data tomorrow, the plans are also on their website https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/12/rogerws-unlimited-data-plans-no-overage/

Interesting.  You'll get 10 GB at full speed and then unlimited at some throttled speed (not specified in the article).  So basically this is the old $60/10GB plan but $15 more which gets you unlimited (presumably very-)slow data after your 10GB.  This doesn't excite me terribly for my own needs but I can see how this is a good step forward from one of the big 3 first tier brands for sure.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@coolvehiclefan wrote:

Heres the link showing that Rogers is offering unlimited data tomorrow, the plans are also on their website https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/06/12/rogerws-unlimited-data-plans-no-overage/

Thanks for the link.  I've made my comment there on the article.

Reduce it to $35/6GB full speed, then throttle - I'd be all over it. I'd also continue buying my device outright, or via financing with my credit card.

coolvehiclefan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you're going to mention this, why not provide a link to an article?

coolvehiclefan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As of tomorrow Rogers is launching unlimited data plans, i really hope that Telus and Public Mobile can follow this, we need a break from being ripped off for data

nicolepavicia
Haha, yes, youā€™re absolutely right! šŸ˜‚ LOL, whoops! Either way, itā€™s 6GB altogether šŸ˜Š

@nicolepaviciawrote:
I use the plan with the most data, LOL. I have the $52/month plan with unlimited text, unlimited province wide calling & then the 4GB + 2GB plan. The 4GB is at LTE speed and the extra 2GB are at 3G. I always use it all, not too many days before my plan ends, but still at least 4-6 days before my plan renews. I use it for Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc and I use email, as well as iMessage (which actually doesnt take that much data itself). But yeah... I use my phone a lot... Iā€™ll put it this way - the tv is for my childrenā€™s entertainment, my phone is mine. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I believe this whole plan is at the 3G or "LTE Lite" speeds.  It does sound like you shop around a lot for plans.  I think you would have been a prime candidate for the 10GB for $60 that was going around a few months ago.  Only $10 (52-2 for autopay) more for an additional 4GB of Full LTE data.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@nicolepavicia I think you may be a bit confused. There are no plans at Public Mobile that feature a mix of full speed and 3G-speed data option. Your 4+2 are either both full speed LTE, or both 3G speed (delivered over LTE but capped to 3Mbps speed). 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nicolepavicia
I use the plan with the most data, LOL. I have the $52/month plan with unlimited text, unlimited province wide calling & then the 4GB + 2GB plan. The 4GB is at LTE speed and the extra 2GB are at 3G. I always use it all, not too many days before my plan ends, but still at least 4-6 days before my plan renews. I use it for Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc and I use email, as well as iMessage (which actually doesnt take that much data itself). But yeah... I use my phone a lot... Iā€™ll put it this way - the tv is for my childrenā€™s entertainment, my phone is mine. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

@srlawrenwrote:

@wetcoasterwrote:

3G plans are offered up to 18 (15+3) GB per 30 days, which might help?

@wetcoaster FYI awesome reply, and I agree with all of it except for the typo in the above quoted sentence.  That 18 GB option is for 90 days, not 30.  Very important distintion, as this is approx 6GB/month rather than approx 18GB/month.  

Edited in my original post - thanks for proof reading, @srlawren. It was definitely meant as 90 days - I didn't do good enough of a job of double checking what I wrote, sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. (Note to self: if accuracy is key don't post in the PM community if you are exausted!)

Also, for completeness:

@nicolepavicia

Use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, include all relevant information in your message, such as account number, PIN, phone number, problem description.

More information on contacting the mods: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

srlawren

@wetcoasterwrote:

3G plans are offered up to 18 (15+3) GB per 30 days, which might help?

@wetcoaster FYI awesome reply, and I agree with all of it except for the typo in the above quoted sentence.  That 18 GB option is for 90 days, not 30.  Very important distintion, as this is approx 6GB/month rather than approx 18GB/month.  

Get a grip everyone. This is not happening ever at Public Mobile.

Since moving to Telus PM's targeted customer segments have not changed:

a) unlimited calling only

b) unlimited callng & texting

c) unlimited calling & texting with moderate data (1/2 - 6 gigs per 30 days)

In these segments PM pricing was, and stil is, the lowest except for some competitors' promos.

The only significant, to me, change was the introduction of 3G plans and the major price increase a year ago that narrowed the cost gap versus the competition.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien Ć  la clientĆØle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@nicolepavicia, with all the moving around you look like an astute shopper chasing the deals.  If you were fortunate enough to land a 2016 fall promo plan, you would have had the option to migrate to Koodo and get a $40 6GB plan.  This is far from unlimited data, but for Canada it's about as good as it gets.  

mimmo

just to bring some context koodo charges $70/gig of data if you go over your limit or dont have a data plan.

I agree with @wetcoaster  what plan do you have and what do you need? the lte lite is a great option for more budget concious users.  

my mom for example is has talk and text and 1gb ($30) addon.  she has 300mb in 4 months.  so really it is a great option for her and a great price, 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@nicolepaviciawrote:

So Iā€™ve been with Public Mobile pretty much consistently since December 2011. I say ā€œpretty muchā€ because Iā€™ve switched to different companies at LEAST 3x looking for SPECIFICALLY better priced DATA!!! When I became a PM customer in Dec 2011, I was MORE than happy with their plans because it was literally just unlimited everything and that was that. Obviously I know things have CHANGED quite a bit since then, and also Telus bought PM. Long story short, Iā€™ve changed companies 3 different times in the last 2.5 years simply because I kept running out of data & either spending money I LITERALLY could NOT afford, on data add ons (I mean $10 for 200 lousy MB and an OUTRAGEOUS $30 for 1GB?!? Thatā€™s highway robbery!!!). I know thereā€™s quite a bit of competition, but Iā€™m not sure why you guys canā€™t a least, if ANYTHING, make your data add on options more affordable - if not giving customers the option of choosing to pay for unlimited data or a set amount. With the amount of streaming, app updates and way of communication nowadays, 1GB or even 4GB tend to go pretty quickly, especially if youā€™re not living in a place with wifi. 

Just saying, I know PM is a reliable company with good reception and pretty reliable customer service for being all done online, make PM the BEST company by changing either the amount of data available for purchase or the prices &/or options for data add ons. 

šŸ˜Š

PS: Sorry if this post seems a bit repetitive, lol, Iā€™m tired and itā€™s late, Iā€™m not bothering to proofread!

You don't mention what plan you are on and what you are using the data for.

For average usage like e-mail, social media etc. "3G speed" speed plans (what I'd prefer to call "LTE light" and which is LTE latency but throttled to 3mbps) is totally adequate. 3G plans are offered up to 18 (15+3) GB per 90 days, which might help?

Also keep in mind that you can renew your plan early by sending a private message to the moderator team (= Public Mobile employees). (I'm on my phone right now, so will either wait for someone else to post the link or add it as I get to my computer, sorry for the inconvenience!)

If you have a dual SIM phone you could also add a separate data only plan, either from Public Mobile or the competition...

Edited to correct the typo @srlawren found!

Unfortunately, for the customers, Public Mobile does not have an unlimited option.  In fact, no Canadian carrier has true unlimited (in my opinion) in the sense that those carriers that do offer unlimited data greatly reduce your speed after you consume a set amount, slowed down to the point that you often don't want to use it.

If you want unlimited data, the only choices that I know of are Lucky Mobile, Chatr Wireless, and Freedom Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.